MiBeSo

urgent help! wrong nationality listed

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I have been calling to schedule an interview for my fiance since April and they told me it´s not in the system. Now I look at the website and there is his case number and it says the packet was sent April 8th! How can this be if I have been calling them since April? And here´s the kicker, they have his nationality down as Dominican Republic and he is Ecuadorian! Where was this mistake made and how can I correct it and how much will it delay my case? I really can´t believe this is happening, what do I do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been calling to schedule an interview for my fiance since April and they told me it´s not in the system. Now I look at the website and there is his case number and it says the packet was sent April 8th! How can this be if I have been calling them since April? And here´s the kicker, they have his nationality down as Dominican Republic and he is Ecuadorian! Where was this mistake made and how can I correct it and how much will it delay my case? I really can´t believe this is happening, what do I do?

I would call USCIS and the embassy in Ecuador to see if that info is correct and explain the situation.

When you filled out the forms was his correct nationality listed? Maybe they screwed up at the USCIS or embassy. They are probably closed today, but I would get on it first thing in the morning.

Hope it all turns out well!!!

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

tarsier.jpgpalms.jpgmmf.jpgch.jpgnv.jpgpalm.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would hope that they can correct the mistake easily. I don't have any experience in this area...hopefully some senior members here will catch this thread and offer some better advice.

Stay positive!

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

tarsier.jpgpalms.jpgmmf.jpgch.jpgnv.jpgpalm.jpg

If your NOA2 was in April, I think his nationality is the least of your worries. You are reaching your 4 month NOA2 expiration date so you really need to confront them at the embassy.

Have you filled out the DS forms yet? I don't know how it works there but I don't think you needed to wait for your packet, you could have gotten all the infromation you needed off of their website or here on VJ on the Embassy Info link on the top of the page.

I think you need to get them to extend you NOA2 expiration date and explain that you have been trying to call them and waiting for the packet you never received. I have no idea about your consulate but I think you have to fill out those forms to schedule your interview and do your medical a week or so before the interview so they get the results by the time of the interview.

Hopefully there will be more people here tonight or tomorrow that deal with your embassy to give you more info.

Even if his nationality is screwed up he can probably do the interview there anyway cause he lives and is a resident there right?

Is there anyway he could just schedule a general appointment with the embassy to ask them questions and talk about your situation and what you need to do to correct it?

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I have had the packet 4 downloaded basically since I sent in my application and I have done all the paperwork (updated several times for newer versions of the forms). The only thing I didn`t do was the medical appointment because I was waiting for the interview date, which I now realize was a huge mistake because they keep telling me I`m not in the system. I called NVC and the consulate and they can`t help me(except through email at the consulate, and I`m waiting for their response.) You can only schedule the interview through the Visa Information Service and these people have no idea what they are talking about because I said my NOA2 approval expires July 28 and she told me it does not expire! They asked me if I had done the medical and I said no. If I make an appointment now and tell them the date will they give me an interview date? Or should I just say I already had the medical done. I am desperate here and so drained from this process.

I have had the packet 4 downloaded basically since I sent in my application and I have done all the paperwork (updated several times for newer versions of the forms). The only thing I didn`t do was the medical appointment because I was waiting for the interview date, which I now realize was a huge mistake because they keep telling me I`m not in the system. I called NVC and the consulate and they can`t help me(except through email at the consulate, and I`m waiting for their response.) You can only schedule the interview through the Visa Information Service and these people have no idea what they are talking about because I said my NOA2 approval expires July 28 and she told me it does not expire! They asked me if I had done the medical and I said no. If I make an appointment now and tell them the date will they give me an interview date? Or should I just say I already had the medical done. I am desperate here and so drained from this process.

Well since its in their system it probably won't expire because they will extend it automatically. Call one of the doctors I believe all you need is your case number to schedule the appointment. They will forward the results to the consulate, just get it done at least a week before the interview because they need the results. There is a fee for the medical. I don't know the process there, its different everywhere. The doctor can probably tell you whether they give you the results or just forward it to the embassy.

Yes must be very tiring but it will be worth it in the end, good luck!

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I just Googled "alphabetical list of countries," and Ecuador directly follows Dominican Republic on that list. Therefore, this could be a USCIS fingergraphical error.

OP, did you check your copy of the I-129F petition to ensure that everything says "Ecuador" on it? If it does say that, then call USCIS again, insist on immediate escalation to an immigration officer (cut off the rude, ignorant screener before he/she can begin the mindless script), and find out the exact process to retrieve the petition and get it to Guayaquil. Find out if Santo Domingo embassy can send it directly to Guayaquil, with tracking (get the method & the number). You may have to involve your Congressman in this matter.

In response to an earlier post, no the beneficiary cannot go to the local consulate to straighten anything out. The petitioner files the petition, and this matter is on the petitioner's end, so it's up to the petitioner to get everything straightened out. The Guayaquil consulate doesn't give a rat's hindquarters anyway.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I just Googled "alphabetical list of countries," and Ecuador directly follows Dominican Republic on that list. Therefore, this could be a USCIS fingergraphical error.

In response to an earlier post, no the beneficiary cannot go to the local consulate to straighten anything out. The petitioner files the petition, and this matter is on the petitioner's end, so it's up to the petitioner to get everything straightened out. The Guayaquil consulate doesn't give a rat's hindquarters anyway.

But my question is why can't he still interview there even though the paperwork has his nationality screwed up? I mean even if he were of the other nationality most consulates allow other nationalities to interview as long as he has residency there. I mean the nationality thing can be fixed cause he has proof, but delaying the interview might double the time they have waited.

Edited by LookyWhatIFound

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

OP, did you check your copy of the I-129F petition to ensure that everything says "Ecuador" on it? If it does say that, then call USCIS again, insist on immediate escalation to an immigration officer (cut off the rude, ignorant screener before he/she can begin the mindless script), and find out the exact process to retrieve the petition and get it to Guayaquil. Find out if Santo Domingo embassy can send it directly to Guayaquil, with tracking (get the method & the number). You may have to involve your Congressman in this matter.

I mean as far as I can tell the OP is the one that noticed the nationality thing not the consulate. So as far as I can tell from what the OP wrote is that nothings changed as far as being able to interview.

The OP just has to wait for the packet from the consulate to send the forms in, and get the interview date, I gather from what she wrote. So why not let the consulate figure it out during the interview and tell USCIS to correct it, at least the interview process will be over.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.