Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Traveling with AP

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada

Hey Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen currently in the USA. I entered the country in February and we decided to get married in March so we could start the immigration process. A few weeks ago, I received my combo card (Employment Authorization Card with Advance Parole) and was wondering if I would have any issues traveling back to Canada for a family wedding (for just over a week).

I realize there are other threads, however the ones I have come across have dealt with situations involving K1 or H1B visas - neither of which I have!

Would very much appreciate any advice!

Thanks :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue I can see would be if you happened to receive a notice for your GC interview during that timeframe.

Edited by Saddle Bronc

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in


As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country:

The biggest problem with AP is that if you have ANY overstay then you can't use it even though it was issued to you (you'd think USCIS would simply not issue AP to anyone with Overstay issues).

You don't have any overstay so your shouldn't have a problem as long as you can return in time for the interview (if needed).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

You won't have any problems going into Canada, but you will be pulled into secondary when you enter into the U.S. They need to process your paper work. Bring both copies of your AP. They will keep one copy and give you back the other, stamped. If you travel again, you just need the one copy and they will stamp it again. If you are travelling by air, give yourself extra time for the secondary inspection.

PS. What Bob 4 Ana says about the overstay is valid as far as I know.

Edited by Gypsyangel


02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC


11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

Hi Gypsyangel, I don't have any copies of my AP, I just received a combo card - will this suffice or do I need to get additional documentation? Thanks!

Combo card is brand new. You use this.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...