mashume

Chinese Marriage Certificate

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

First Posting, been reading here abouts for a while...

Question is this: Our marriage certificate (married in 2009 in PRC) is in the form of a small red book roughly 6 pages long plus cover. On a single two-page spread is all the pertinent information (ID numbers, names, dates, photos, chop (stamped seal) etc... the other pages contain information about Chinese law regarding marriages and such things.

How many of these pages need to be translated for inclusion with an I-130?

Thanks for all your help so far,

Mashume

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife translated the total documents on divorce and settlement, if that helps, better safe than sorry - attach both copies

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Go to Gong Zen Ban ( notarial office ) ; costs about 400- 500 yuan ; they will take care the rest . you need not tell how many pages ,etc... they know what to do.

The beauty of China is every one knows how to do business . They often said " women jiecheng wei ni fuwu " ( we will service you whole heartedly ) . yes, bring that cash , they will take care of you .

I am surprised that they have not offered the notarial service when you got married in 2009 at the Ming Zen Ban ( Marriage Bureau office ).

Timeline

I translated all pages and everything. I scan the image of each page and put into a word document. Next to the image I put English translations. I did not use an official translation agency. I hope that works. You need to bring the original marriage certificate anyway at visa interview time.

Edited by Palladin

Timeline

I translated all pages and everything. I scan the image of each page and put into a word document. Next to the image I put English translations. I did not use an official translation agency. I hope that works. You need to bring the original marriage certificate anyway at visa interview time.

The advise we got here, is that the translation needs to be certified and that this can only be done in the beneficiary's Hukou, so that's what we did. We were told that it was not acceptable to just translate it yourself. I'm no expert on any of this stuff so we just followed what others here said they had been successful with. We only filed CR1 recently so there has not been enough time to know if what we did is truly right or not. BTW- the translations we received for our marriage certificate (red book) and my wife's divorce decree were bound in larger "white books".

Hope this helps-

David

Edited by My_Wife_and_I

4/27/2010 - First Met

6/13/2010 - Met 2nd time

7/30/2010 - Met 3rd time

10/25/2010 - Met 4th time - Engaged!

1/30/2011 - Married!

3/4/2011 - Met 5th time

6/25/2011 - CR1 Filed

6/28/2011 - NAO1

6/30/2011 - Update

7/28-2011 - Vacation together in Beijing

12/6/2011 - NAO2

12/30/2011 - Wife visited US on B2 Visa (together 7 days)

01/06/2012 - NVC text/email received

01/21/2012 - AOS Fee Paid On-line

??/??/2012 - Interview

??/??/2012 - Visa in-hand!

Timeline

The advise we got here, is that the translation needs to be certified and that this can only be done in the beneficiary's Hukou, so that's what we did. We were told that it was not acceptable to just translate it yourself. I'm no expert on any of this stuff so we just followed what others here said they had been successful with. We only filed CR1 recently so there has not been enough time to know if what we did is truly right or not. BTW- the translations we received for our marriage certificate (red book) and my wife's divorce decree were bound in larger "white books".

Hope this helps-

David

David:

You married in January. Why did you wait until recently to file? If I were you I will try to file as soon as possible with whatever documents I have in hands. The USCIS only requires copies of documents. My understanding is they are pretty loose on authenticity of initial filing documents, as long as you attach a statement saying all copies are authentic copies of the original. It is at visa interview time when you are required to present all original documents and all official English translations, and they will scrutinize things more closely.

Timeline

David:

You married in January. Why did you wait until recently to file? If I were you I will try to file as soon as possible with whatever documents I have in hands. The USCIS only requires copies of documents. My understanding is they are pretty loose on authenticity of initial filing documents, as long as you attach a statement saying all copies are authentic copies of the original. It is at visa interview time when you are required to present all original documents and all official English translations, and they will scrutinize things more closely.

Yes, we filed much longer after getting married than we planned to. We were missing a critical document (on my side) that we had to get from the State of California and this just took forever! Regarding the translations, I was just sharing the guidance we received here at VJ.

David

4/27/2010 - First Met

6/13/2010 - Met 2nd time

7/30/2010 - Met 3rd time

10/25/2010 - Met 4th time - Engaged!

1/30/2011 - Married!

3/4/2011 - Met 5th time

6/25/2011 - CR1 Filed

6/28/2011 - NAO1

6/30/2011 - Update

7/28-2011 - Vacation together in Beijing

12/6/2011 - NAO2

12/30/2011 - Wife visited US on B2 Visa (together 7 days)

01/06/2012 - NVC text/email received

01/21/2012 - AOS Fee Paid On-line

??/??/2012 - Interview

??/??/2012 - Visa in-hand!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hope this helps-

David

While USCIS may accept a self translation or even an 'official' translation from the US. Guangzhou is usually (always?) insistent on getting the official Chinese notarization in the form of 'white books'. When it comes to the interview, make sure you have the 'white books'.

• 8 months later...
Timeline

Additional question: Did you need translations of both marriage certificates? We were issued two (one for me, one for my wife) which have the same information on them except for who it is issued to (one for her, one for me). Did any other China visa seekers have this? Did you have them both translated and certified or just one? Thanks.

Sept 9, 2011: NOA1

March 16, 2012: NOA2

April 10, 2012: NVC Case Number Assigned, AOS Invoice Received

April 11, 2012: OPTIN for EP with DS-3032 sent, AOS bill paid

April 12, 2012: AOS Package Sent

April 17, 2012: IV Bill invoiced, paid

April 19, 2012: IV package sent

April 20, 2012: Checklist for AOS asking for letter of employment, response sent

April 23, 2012: Letter approving DS-230, False checklist for AOS checklist

May 1, 2012: Appointment Letter Received (for May 23rd)

May 22, 2012: Interview canceled pending further medical tests

July 15, 2012: New Appointment letter Received

August 1, 2012: Interview, Approved

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Additional question: Did you need translations of both marriage certificates? We were issued two (one for me, one for my wife) which have the same information on them except for who it is issued to (one for her, one for me). Did any other China visa seekers have this? Did you have them both translated and certified or just one? Thanks.

One is enough. I've seen USCIS send an RFE or the customary Notarial Translation from the Gong Zheng Chu. I doubt the self translation mentioned about made it through USCIS but it will definitely NOT cut it with the Consulate.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

One is enough. I've seen USCIS send an RFE or the customary Notarial Translation from the Gong Zheng Chu. I doubt the self translation mentioned about made it through USCIS but it will definitely NOT cut it with the Consulate.

Thanks for the quick response. We're getting it translated and notarized at the gongzhengchu as suggested on this forum. No reason to give any extra cause for delay. I did send a self-translation to USCIS, haven't heard anything either way on that yet. I'll report back when I do.

Edited by foofurrah

April 20, 2012: Checklist for AOS asking for letter of employment, response sent

Timeline

Thanks for the quick response. We're getting it translated and notarized at the gongzhengchu as suggested on this forum. No reason to give any extra cause for delay. I did send a self-translation to USCIS, haven't heard anything either way on that yet. I'll report back when I do.

Expect an RFE. Good thing you'll already have the correct document. Just have the pages scanned in order and emailed. No need for the original except to carry to the interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Expect an RFE. Good thing you'll already have the correct document. Just have the pages scanned in order and emailed. No need for the original except to carry to the interview.

One more question, we just got the official white books back from the Gongzhengchu. It has the translations inside, but for attestation only says:

Notarial Matter: The translation version is in conformity with its original. This is to certify that the English translation of (...) attached hereto is in conformity with its Chinese original.

Then the translation of the official stamp and the notary office information. Is this sufficient? Doesn't it need something about the competence of the translator, or is it okay because it's an official document?

Edited by foofurrah

Timeline

One more question, we just got the official white books back from the Gongzhengchu. It has the translations inside, but for attestation only says:

Notarial Matter: The translation version is in conformity with its original. This is to certify that the English translation of (...) attached hereto is in conformity with its Chinese original.

Then the translation of the official stamp and the notary office information. Is this sufficient? Doesn't it need something about the competence of the translator, or is it okay because it's an official document?

Not for these documents. What you'll send is a copy of the entire white book, from cover to cover.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.