C & M

Customs Declaration when Leaveing Ukraine

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So I am going to Ukraine next month to make the trip back with my Fiancee. I have never had to declare anything going in or out on my last three visits. However since she has lived there and is bringing all her personal belongs (clothing, jewelry and what not) out of the country permanently I was wondering if anyone knew what has to be declared or the monetary threshold of personal items (I think I saw $250 for jewelry which seems really low), or where I can look to find this information since I am coming up blank. Also if there are Taxes involved in taking such things out of the country. We will be flying out of Kyiv if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So I am going to Ukraine next month to make the trip back with my Fiancee. I have never had to declare anything going in or out on my last three visits. However since she has lived there and is bringing all her personal belongs (clothing, jewelry and what not) out of the country permanently I was wondering if anyone knew what has to be declared or the monetary threshold of personal items (I think I saw $250 for jewelry which seems really low), or where I can look to find this information since I am coming up blank. Also if there are Taxes involved in taking such things out of the country. We will be flying out of Kyiv if that makes a difference. Thanks.

I don't know the law, but it didn't come up when my fiancee moved.

I don't believe you will have any problems with her leaving as long as the visa is in order. Ukraine use to have documentation for foreigners entering the country regarding the amount of currency bringing in and out, but I think they did away with that. Just be cool, act like most people that you are excited to be traveling and don't volunteer anything. She as a citizen may undergo more scrutiny but if her passport and visa are in order, there should be no problem. Good luck on the continuing journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Fiance(e) visa is a non-immigrant one, so technically she's not leaving the country forever, she's leaving for 90 days. Anyway, I never heard that anybody had to declared anything unless it was old books, coins etc.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Yeah, unless Russia imposes some kind of emigration policy on customs--I've never heard of such a thing--and as ONA points out it's not technically an immigration visa, her liability for customs/duty shouldn't be any different from any other traveler. If she's planning on bringing over the family heirlooms, make sure they won't be considered heritage items that would be confiscated. Military medals and other paraphernalia are especially risky.

My wife wanted to bring over her family photos, some of which are quite old. Rather than risk them, we scanned them instead. We printed some of them on a very high quality printer and paper stock, framed them, and you can't even tell they're not the originals.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

У нашому регiонi цей чорт зветься — шахтар

I wouldn't declare anything - especially jewelery. You don't want to put yourself in a position where the value of any personal property is in dispute, because you may be asked to pay something. Vika wears her jewelery through the airport and has never had questions if there is more in her purse. Have a great trip!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We didn't declare anything. Just say no and keep walking...

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.