Destiny2000

Bringing Canadian Spouse to the US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I'm new here & am thrilled to have found this forum :)

My husband is a Canadian citizen, I am a US citizen. We married in 2000, I moved to Canada in 2001, then back to the US (Ohio) in 2005. My husband stayed behind to sell our house & finalize things. His father became very ill & he stayed in Canada to help care for him & his mother. Between him driving to Ohio to see me & me driving to Canada to see him every couple months, we've stayed close & are as much in love today as ever. We are now ready to start the immigration process to bring him to the US permanently. I believe I have all the correct forms to get this started, however I have some questions.

1)I start with the I-130 correct? Is there anything I should send in besides that form to begin with?

2)How long will he have to stay in Canada once I send that in?

After these 2 things are answered, I'm sure I will have more questions. The process is just a bit nerve wracking as I'm sure you will all agree & I want to make sure we do everything right.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you give me (L)

♥ We met on a phone chat line December 1998

♥ Met in person June 1999

♥ Married September 2000

♥ I moved to Canada February 2001

♥ I moved back to Ohio April 2005

♥ Starting immigration process finally on September 30th 2017
♥ USCIS received all forms on October 6th 2017
♥ Hubby had biometric appointment on October 30th 2017
♥ Received RFE for I-485 on December 9th 2017

♥ EAD combo card received on February 9th 2018

AOS interview on February 15th 2018
♥ Residence card is being processed on February 22nd 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

CR-1 takes around a year, Montreal is the only consul in Canada that processes spousal visas.

You need to send all your evidence and the payment with the I-130.

Please see the step by step guides they are extremely helpful.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

1. you are going to have to send in a lot more than just the I130 petition. Follow the guide in the link above so you know what to send in

2. he'll have to 'stay' in Canada until the visa has been issued. He can, however, visit you as long as he is admitted into the US.

Good luck, welcome to VJ

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Most Canadians have found it easy to travel back and forth to the US after the I-130 is filed, so long as they have plenty of evidence that they ahve strong ties in Canada--I'm sure many will chime in with their experiences.

And don't just send in the form--there are a bunch of things to include in the package--read through the guides at the top of this page before you do anything, and then come back with questions--it will be a lot more productive.

Timeline

Thanks so much for the quick responses!! I will read the step-by-step guide & get back with you with any other questions and/or updates!!

♥ Married September 2000

Destiny: what is your status in Canada? The reason I ask is, I'm Canadian and my husband is the USC. We already went thru immigration for him to live here in Canada with me back in 2007. He is a permanent resident. We have now decided to move to the US (he is an only child and his parents are older...dad had quad. bypass surgery 10 years ago and his mother now just suffered a heart attack).

Anyway, we filed DCF. Because Montreal is so backlogged, it's not necessarily faster per se, but it seems a bit easier. You just kinda file everything at once at your nearest consulate, in my case it was Toronto. Everything still goes thru Montreal, we have our final interview in July there. Check out the DCF forum, there is a good thread for Canadians. It helped me immensely!!!

Although, if you are not a permanent resident anymore, DCF might not help you.

Edited by LuvIllinois

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Timeline

Destiny: what is your status in Canada? The reason I ask is, I'm Canadian and my husband is the USC. We already went thru immigration for him to live here in Canada with me back in 2007. He is a permanent resident. We have now decided to move to the US (he is an only child and his parents are older...dad had quad. bypass surgery 10 years ago and his mother now just suffered a heart attack).

Anyway, we filed DCF. Because Montreal is so backlogged, it's not necessarily faster per se, but it seems a bit easier. You just kinda file everything at once at your nearest consulate, in my case it was Toronto. Everything still goes thru Montreal, we have our final interview in July there. Check out the DCF forum, there is a good thread for Canadians. It helped me immensely!!!

Although, if you are not a permanent resident anymore, DCF might not help you.

I am no longer a permanent resident of Canada. Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated :yes:

♥ Married September 2000

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! Congratulations on the decision. My husband (the US citizen) and I (the Canadian, of course) are near the end of the process, and we will tell you how we did it:

We were married in August, and filed the I-130 in October. We had 2 RFE's (it was, of course, before we were lucky enough to come across this forum...HUGE help!). We didn't send in the photocopy of back of our marriage certificate, and my husband (the US citizen) needed 2 passport photos.

Our I-130 took about 6 months to process. Average wait time, at that time, was 5 months.

We made 2 trips down to the States while it was filing - one in August for our Utah wedding reception, and another to see his adorable, new little nephew, in March of this year. So, we had to provide evidence that I was certainly coming back to Canada, and not just "sneaking off" across the border. I had a letter from my employer, stating the time and date of my next shift, a letter from my landlord (the upstairs tenants...we live in a basement suite), stating that we still had a car and all of my belongings at our current place of residence, tuition receipts, and an invitation to the blessing of the baby and/or wedding invtation (the reason for our trip). I think we had a few other things, but those were the most important. While crossing the border in August, the border guard asked the purpose of our trip, (like usual), then said, "How can you prove you are coming back to Canada?" We handed him the evidence, explained a few things, and he sent us on our way. No problems with our most recent trip in March, either.

Now...my husband. We were living in Edmonton when we filed the I-130, so I could finish school. Jake was on "visitor status", and didn't need a visa or anything to be here in Canada. So, he took some online classes through his college and stayed at home, while I went to school. When I finished school in December, we moved to Lethbridge. As we knew we would need evidence of domicile and employment down the road in the NVC stage, he got a job in northern Montana. He commutes almost every day, a 2-hour drive one way. The border guards say this is fine, as long as he doesn't spend more time in Canada than he does in the States. I have been known to meet him at the border for lunch, as he sometimes works at the actual border station itself! (Hence why we get so many great hints... :) )

We slugged our way through USCIS, then flew through the NVC. Our case was complete on June 16, and now we are waiting for our interview in Montreal. We are hoping to be done before the fall semester, so my husband can return to school.

That's it! If you can manage to see each other often, it isn't a big hassle, and just have lots of proof you are coming back on your trips down. Put in the paperwork right the first time, and wait it out. Good luck on the journey!

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Just another question, I was told somewhere that my husband could file for Unemployment Insurance Benefits in Canada when he arrives here in the states with me after starting our immigration process....do any of you fine people reading this know wether this is true or not?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Destiny2000

♥ Married September 2000

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.