Myopia

Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist Is Illegal!

5 posts in this topic

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist Is Illegal

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

I heard the interview with him on NPR. I dunno...seems like his circumstances are largely not his fault, and I think it's inarguable that he's been a net benefit to this country. If there were any justice they'd just make him pay a fine or something and then issue a green card.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I was wondering why this hadn't been mentioned anywhere yet... From my quick reading of it, it looked like there were several options he could have done that would have made him legal. Instead he went and did various things that would usually get you a ten year or lifetime ban. (Overstay, impersonating a citizen)

He's now famous, so he'll probably get off. : P

Sorry, I'm not sympathetic.

Edited by Ippsy Pippsy

I don't think he had any legal avenues. He came here as a child on a fake visa (which he wasn't aware of for four years). There were no legal options for him. It's not like he could have applied for a student visa within the country and earn a status that way. You have to be in status in order to do that. He doesn't have a parent citizen, nor a spouse citizen. So what are the "several options he could have done that would make him legal"? I think if that was the case he would have chosen that route. Just because someone conseals one part of their identity, it doesn't mean that he/she is immoral, criminal or a bad person in general (and yes I know he broke immigration laws once he became adult).

I read the article he chronicle his life in great detail ... It really looked like he tried his best to be a good citizen of this county though legally he wasn't allowed to be here. And finally, he didn't want to continue living this way, having to hide and lie, he knew it was wrong but he felt he had no choice. I personaly feel bad for him. Surely people can relate and think of something wrong they've done that they regret.

I know people can get on their high horses and say he should have left and try to come back here the right way. But in reality you know that would have been immposible (his grandparents can't petion for him, but having citizen grantparents would disqualify him from getting a non-imigrat visa,not to mention his presence here for 6 yrs prior to his 18 birthday).

And try to think what you would you do at that age. I know you are an adult at 18, but really how many of you would be ready to leave your homes knowing you may never be able to return, go to the school you wanted to go to, see you friends your grandparents, leave the life you have and like.

I just don't thing life is black or white, write or wrong ... there are many shades of gray.

07/27/11 - Green Card Interview - Approved
08/05/11 - Received Card!!!

07/09/2013 - Mailed ROC packet to VT SC

07/11/2013 - NOA1 date for ROC

08/13/13 - Bio appointment

Was out of town and had to reschedule BIO apt

I don't remember the exact dates, but it went something like this

Biometrics taken end of Sept

File moved from Vermont to California Center

Green Card Arrived in November

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I was wondering why this hadn't been mentioned anywhere yet...

It has been: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/316119-pulitzer-prize-winner-vargas-says-hes-an-illegal-immigrant/

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.