Alianza Terps

Issues with names on SSN and AOS

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Okay so I think we just complicated our lives a little more than necessary. My husband is from Peru and like many other Latin American countries, he has two last names on all his legal documents.

My husband (who entered on a K1 visa a month ago and we got married promptly after) applied for a SSN and on the application form we agreed to stop using his mother's last name and just start using his father's last name on our applications and American documents. We figured it would make certain issues less confusing in the long run.

To clarify, in Peru, his documents - including his passport - look like:

(First name) (Middle name) (Father's last name) (Mother's last name)

In the US, as we know, it's more common just to have (First name) (Middle name) (Father's last name)

So anyway, on the social security application we put down the US-version of his name. However, when we received his SSN today it had both his mother and father's last names on it.

Last week we filed his AOS application. On all the forms, we put down his last name as just his father's last name. Whenever it asked "other names used" we put down his name like it used on his Peruvian documents (both mother and father name).

Now, my concern is the fact that there may be inconsistencies on these official documents. Since his SSN card has both names, so does his passport, so in the next few weeks when he goes to get a driver's license, this will also have both last names on that. His green card, AP and EAD, MAY be processed with only his father's last name.

My question is how much of a problem will this be in the future? Should we be concerned?

**Sorry for such a long post for a fairly simple question - just wanted to clarify the situation. Thanks for the help/advice, everyone :star:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Okay so I think we just complicated our lives a little more than necessary. My husband is from Peru and like many other Latin American countries, he has two last names on all his legal documents.

My husband (who entered on a K1 visa a month ago and we got married promptly after) applied for a SSN and on the application form we agreed to stop using his mother's last name and just start using his father's last name on our applications and American documents. We figured it would make certain issues less confusing in the long run.

To clarify, in Peru, his documents - including his passport - look like:

(First name) (Middle name) (Father's last name) (Mother's last name)

In the US, as we know, it's more common just to have (First name) (Middle name) (Father's last name)

So anyway, on the social security application we put down the US-version of his name. However, when we received his SSN today it had both his mother and father's last names on it.

Last week we filed his AOS application. On all the forms, we put down his last name as just his father's last name. Whenever it asked "other names used" we put down his name like it used on his Peruvian documents (both mother and father name).

Now, my concern is the fact that there may be inconsistencies on these official documents. Since his SSN card has both names, so does his passport, so in the next few weeks when he goes to get a driver's license, this will also have both last names on that. His green card, AP and EAD, MAY be processed with only his father's last name.

My question is how much of a problem will this be in the future? Should we be concerned?

**Sorry for such a long post for a fairly simple question - just wanted to clarify the situation. Thanks for the help/advice, everyone :star:

They have to issue the SS Card (if issued before AOS) in the name that appears on the I-94 Departure record. When he receives his EAD and/or GC with just his first last name on it, he can return the the SSA office to have it changed.

It's not going to be a problem, other than the hassle of having to make multiple changes to the card, accounts, etc. The name on the GC will be his legal name in the U.S.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

They have to issue the SS Card (if issued before AOS) in the name that appears on the I-94 Departure record. When he receives his EAD and/or GC with just his first last name on it, he can return the the SSA office to have it changed.

It's not going to be a problem, other than the hassle of having to make multiple changes to the card, accounts, etc. The name on the GC will be his legal name in the U.S.

Thank you for your response! So in the next year when my husband receives his green card and wants to travel outside the U.S., when he returns and goes through customs he wont have any issues with the fact that his green card name and passport name will not match up exactly?

I know this is a common issue for women who change their names, but usually people understand that custom of adopting their husband's name more than a man having multiple last names and trying to drop one.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you for your response! So in the next year when my husband receives his green card and wants to travel outside the U.S., when he returns and goes through customs he wont have any issues with the fact that his green card name and passport name will not match up exactly?

I know this is a common issue for women who change their names, but usually people understand that custom of adopting their husband's name more than a man having multiple last names and trying to drop one.

I wondered the same thing but, as far as I've seen here on VJ, the Green Card by itself is sufficient for re-entry to the U.S. It sounds strange considering that a US Citizen is now required to use their passport to re-enter, but an LPR only needs to show the GC as far as I understand. I know I've never seen anyone have a problem with it here.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.