ezzie

Please help..

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ezzie,

You do realize that if you ever return to the Philippines you're in a bad spot, right?

You can't get your divorced recognized because the marriage was between two Filipino citizens in the Philippines. You need an Annulment and even then the Philippines won't recognize your current marriage. Of course this isn't a problem for you in the US but if you ever return to the Philippines before you naturalize it can cause problems for you there.

For example there was just an episode of Locked-up Abroad where a Philippine woman was arrested for adultery because she was pregnant by her British boyfriend and her abusive Ex (but still legally married) husband found out.

Hi Bob..I was in the US when I filed the divorce and my ex signed it. In the Philippines, we are still legally married. There are so many intricacies in Annulment because of the hypocrisy in the system, but that's another story.

I don't ever want to be locked up! :blink:

Filed: Country:
Timeline
For as long as the courtship and marriage didnt happen in the Philippines or any place considered Philippine territory and you dont cohabit as husband and wife in the Philippines or Philippine territory no husband can sue his wife for bigamy and vice versa. I had to consult a lawyer before going home to the Philippines to make sure that I wouldnt be facing this charge. This was what my lawyer told me because of the territoriality component of criminal law in the Philippines.

I am now back in the US after a long Philippine vacation. :)

Does that cover adultery also? I ask this because they are 2 different things. I it does but you might still want to go through the Annulment process in the Philippines. If that's true then it's good news for anyone it that situation.

It's too bad that your ex won't sign the papers for your child, has he given you a reason why? As a father I can understand a man being afraid to loose his child. I know I would never agree to my ex-wife moving my daughters to another country permanently but then again I'm also the kind of father who has had custody of my daughters since the divorce.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Timeline

Does that cover adultery also? I ask this because they are 2 different things. I it does but you might still want to go through the Annulment process in the Philippines. If that's true then it's good news for anyone it that situation.

It's too bad that your ex won't sign the papers for your child, has he given you a reason why? As a father I can understand a man being afraid to loose his child. I know I would never agree to my ex-wife moving my daughters to another country permanently but then again I'm also the kind of father who has had custody of my daughters since the divorce.

No, he refuses to talk to me about it, even for a compromise. Perhaps he has the same reason as you do. But I am also a parent, and I am not forcing my child to come with me. If I can't take him at this time, then I would have to wait, as others suggested.

Timeline
No, he refuses to talk to me about it, even for a compromise. Perhaps he has the same reason as you do. But I am also a parent, and I am not forcing my child to come with me. If I can't take him at this time, then I would have to wait, as others suggested.

Not to get to personal but is he a good father, I mean does he have a good relationship with the child?

If he's afraid that he'll lose his child by consenting to the move then I don't know what you can do to ease that fear.

From his point of view I'd imagine he knows how difficult it would be for him to travel to the US to see the child and regardless of how amicable things are between the two of you he really doesn't have any assurance that you'll bring or send the child back regularly to visit him. Even if you promised and he had it in writing how could he enforce it if you decided not to keep up your end?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Bob,

My lawyer told me that if a crime was not committed in the Philippines or a place considered Philippine territory then there wouldnt be a case because of the territoriality aspect of criminal law. It can however be complicated but I have not delve into as it wasnt necessarily relevant to my situation.

As for annulment, I dont see the need for it. Perhaps my ex should be the one contemplating on that as he's the one living in the Philippines. :)

It is good news especially for those that don't know about this and in a similar situation as I am.

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Timeline

As for annulment, I dont see the need for it. Perhaps my ex should be the one contemplating on that as he's the one living in the Philippines. :)

It is good news especially for those that don't know about this and in a similar situation as I am.

Definitely good news for those in the dark with regards to the same situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Not to get to personal but is he a good father, I mean does he have a good relationship with the child?

If he's afraid that he'll lose his child by consenting to the move then I don't know what you can do to ease that fear.

From his point of view I'd imagine he knows how difficult it would be for him to travel to the US to see the child and regardless of how amicable things are between the two of you he really doesn't have any assurance that you'll bring or send the child back regularly to visit him. Even if you promised and he had it in writing how could he enforce it if you decided not to keep up your end?

By some miracle, and just 4 hours before my son's interview sched, I now have the affidavit allowing the child to immigrate. It's past 3am in Manila, and my ex-husband's lawyer came to the house and handed it to me. He said the Dad hasn't been sleeping..and he was just with him. And Bob, you were right about the father's fear; but my son is 17 now and he was finally leaving the decision to my son.

Timeline

I can only run to VJ after praying to the Heavenly Father for mercy and guidance..so please advice, as I am so tensed about our situation.

My son is turning 18 this year. After a surviving the tale of our petition being transferred to the Texas Service Center blackhole, we are finally scheduled to have the interview on July 1. Up to this time, the biological father has refused to sign the consent allowing my child to go. My son is willing to come with me. I have been trying to ask for the consent for the longest time, and was told he will, but I am always given the run-around.

I am planning to just go ahead and take my son with me ( with a positive mind that we will pass the interview). I don't know if there was ever a case wherein the immigrations in the Philippines did not let a 17 year old board the plane with his mother with him.

Any advice/experience/known case/, whether positive or negative, will be appreciated. These will help clear my mind.

Thanks.

Who told you that you needed the father's consent? As far I understand it, Philippine Law grants full custodial rights to children in an annulment, since technically the marriage never took place. My stepson was 5 years old when I petitioned he and his mother (K-1 and K-2). Although she was never married to the biological father, still as far as I understand it, the father of your son has no legal custodial rights to your son unless he went to a court and established the rights previously.

Edited by 8TBVBN

For as long as the courtship and marriage didnt happen in the Philippines or any place considered Philippine territory and you dont cohabit as husband and wife in the Philippines or Philippine territory no husband can sue his wife for bigamy and vice versa. I had to consult a lawyer before going home to the Philippines to make sure that I wouldnt be facing this charge. This was what my lawyer told me because of the territoriality component of criminal law in the Philippines.

I am now back in the US after a long Philippine vacation. :)

This is you scenario: you got married in other country, you lived with your husband in other country, you filed for divorce in other country. And can i assume that you never filed for your marriage to be recognized in the Philippines. So technically speaking.. you and your husband are both still single in the Philippines since you dont have any documents in the Philippines showing you are married to each other..

Other filipinas scenario: filipinas who got married in the Philippines, filed their marriage certificate in NSO, and has certificate of marriage (CENMAR) from NSO and filed for divorce in other stay while still a Philippines citizen.

TWO SCENARIOS, TOTALLY DIFFERENT BALLGAME!!!

Lets prevent other filipinas interpreting your case to be similar with the scenario that they could get married in the Philippines and then could file for divorce in other countries, get married to someone else without filing for annulment and expect to get away with bigamy.

Edited by rheanick

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Timeline
By some miracle, and just 4 hours before my son's interview sched, I now have the affidavit allowing the child to immigrate. It's past 3am in Manila, and my ex-husband's lawyer came to the house and handed it to me. He said the Dad hasn't been sleeping..and he was just with him. And Bob, you were right about the father's fear; but my son is 17 now and he was finally leaving the decision to my son.

Congrats!

Regarding the fear of a Father/Parent... My oldest just turned 19. 8 months ago we were having issues and it was determined that everyone would be happier if she lived elsewhere. It didn't matter that she was already 18, I still lost a lot of sleep worrying. After 6 months she came back asking to move back home.

When you love your child their age matter little compared to everything else involved in the parent-child relationship.

Timeline

When you love your child their age matter little compared to everything else involved in the parent-child relationship.

Very right. Even the worries and anxieties are hard to shake off when it comes to them. I'm just so glad that the father consented, and we just had a compromise which is good for the child, and not that what is good for us. At the end of the day, it's the child's well-being that matters.

Timeline
This is you scenario: you got married in other country, you lived with your husband in other country, you filed for divorce in other country. And can i assume that you never filed for your marriage to be recognized in the Philippines. So technically speaking.. you and your husband are both still single in the Philippines since you dont have any documents in the Philippines showing you are married to each other..

Other filipinas scenario: filipinas who got married in the Philippines, filed their marriage certificate in NSO, and has certificate of marriage (CENMAR) from NSO and filed for divorce in other stay while still a Philippines citizen.

TWO SCENARIOS, TOTALLY DIFFERENT BALLGAME!!!

Lets prevent other filipinas interpreting your case to be similar with the scenario that they could get married in the Philippines and then could file for divorce in other countries, get married to someone else without filing for annulment and expect to get away with bigamy.

This is a forum where people interact and share valuable information. I took it upon me to post responsibly as I deem it unfair to dispense erroneous and misleading information. If you differ with my postings I encourage you to address it constructively instead of implying that I am misleading my fellow Filipinos. It will be appreciated if you straighten something with facts than with censorious remarks.

Thank you.

Edited by pixie77

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Timeline

This is a forum where people interact and share valuable information. I took it upon me to post responsibly as I deem it unfair to dispense erroneous and misleading information. If you differ with my postings I encourage you to address it constructively instead of implying that I am misleading my fellow Filipinos. It will be appreciated if you straighten something with facts than with censorious remarks.

Thank you.

Very well said. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.