4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's a question for everyone, especially those in the know... while I understand that we would want to file for AOS asap, how long do we actually have to file? Are we required to file prior to her K-1 expiration date?

Current Status: Married on March 3, 2012. Preparing for AOS.

01-07-11 Met in person for the first time

04-04-11 I-129F sent via USPS Priority Mail

04-06-11 Delivered to Dallas Lockbox - signed for by J. Arthur

04-08-11 NOA1 sent to me, Check cashed, Case transferred to the California Service Center

04-11-11 Touched, Received e-notification via text message of NOA1 (at 12:30 am?!?!?)

04-15-11 Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail. Notice date 4/8/11.

06-24-11 Touched, Email and text - NOA2 approved in 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days (77 days total)!!!

07-01-11 NOA2 hardcopy received

07-27-11 NVC receive - FINALLY!

07-29-11 NVC depart to Manila

10-13-11 Medical exam at St. Luke's Medical Center (Day 1)

10-17-11 Medical exam at St. Luke's Medical Center (Day 2)

10-18-11 Embassy interview - APPROVED!!

12-30-11 POE Chicago

03-03-12 Wedding Day!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

As long as you're married before the 90 days are up, you can wait to file... but she can't work or travel outside the us until you file. She's technically out of status after the 90 days, but the overstay is forgiven when your AOS is approved. (This is how I understand it)

POE: 5/17/2011

Wedding: 5/21/2011

AOS Mailed: 6/17/2011

NOA1 6/27/2011

RFE 7/13/2011

EAD approved 8/22/2011 :)

AOS Approved 9/14/2011 :) :) :)

USCIS Free till 2013!!!!!!!!! :)

Filed: Other Timeline

You should file as early as possible, for obvious reasons.

If you file after you've been married for 2 years two things will happen:

1) you will need to file an I-130 as by then you are not adjusting status based on the K-1 (and the I-129) anymore, which will cost you an additional $420.

2) instead of a (conditional) 2-year Green Card you'll get an (unconditional) 10-year Green Card and do not have to deal with the dreaded Removal of Conditions (ROC) 2 years later, which will save you $590 and quite a bit of headache.

All that said, the advantages of filing as early as possible outweigh the advantages of delaying AOS.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should file as early as possible, for obvious reasons.

If you file after you've been married for 2 years two things will happen:

1) you will need to file an I-130 as by then you are not adjusting status based on the K-1 (and the I-129) anymore, which will cost you an additional $420.

2) instead of a (conditional) 2-year Green Card you'll get an (unconditional) 10-year Green Card and do not have to deal with the dreaded Removal of Conditions (ROC) 2 years later, which will save you $590 and quite a bit of headache.

All that said, the advantages of filing as early as possible outweigh the advantages of delaying AOS.

Okay. Just so long as I don't have to scramble to get her AOS started before the 90 day mark. We're hoping that she'll be able to come back with us (my mother and I (we're flying over for the birth of our first child in October)) when we return on 11-11-11. Our wedding date is set for Jan 7, 2012. If her DOE is 11-11-11, that would put the 90 day mark at Feb 9, 2012. That'd be a lot of cash to try and come up with on that short of notice. Thanks for the replies. :)

Current Status: Married on March 3, 2012. Preparing for AOS.

01-07-11 Met in person for the first time

04-04-11 I-129F sent via USPS Priority Mail

04-06-11 Delivered to Dallas Lockbox - signed for by J. Arthur

04-08-11 NOA1 sent to me, Check cashed, Case transferred to the California Service Center

04-11-11 Touched, Received e-notification via text message of NOA1 (at 12:30 am?!?!?)

04-15-11 Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail. Notice date 4/8/11.

06-24-11 Touched, Email and text - NOA2 approved in 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days (77 days total)!!!

07-01-11 NOA2 hardcopy received

07-27-11 NVC receive - FINALLY!

07-29-11 NVC depart to Manila

10-13-11 Medical exam at St. Luke's Medical Center (Day 1)

10-17-11 Medical exam at St. Luke's Medical Center (Day 2)

10-18-11 Embassy interview - APPROVED!!

12-30-11 POE Chicago

03-03-12 Wedding Day!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.