Hiker

Preparing I-134 before NOA2 arrives

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is there anything specific I should know about the process in the Philippines regarding the I-134 I need to prepare for the K1 visa? I am waiting for NOA2 but want to be prepared in advance as much as I can.

My income is well more than enough to meet the poverty guidelines. So, I was only going to use my income on the form to qualify and not list any stocks/bonds (don't really have any), bank accounts, or real estate. To prove this income, I am planning to send:

- Last 3 years of IRS tax transcripts ("original" but that doesn't really mean much since its a printout they send me, and not signed or anything like that).

- Photocopies of last 3 years W-2 forms. If someone thinks it necessary, I could have them notarized as "true copy". But, I really don't want to send those originals since I can never get replacements again.

- "To whom it may concern" letter from the HR department saying the basics about my current employment. I'll send it with their original signature, and wait until after NOA2 so that it is current.

- 3 "pay stubs" after NOA2 (so that they are also current). I am only paid electronically, and the pay stubs are emailed to me, so this is basically a printout of the emails they send me. They of course look easy to fake since it is just monospaced text from an old mainframe computer that sends these out. I wasn't planning to sign these or get them notarized, since I'm not sure what that would mean.

- And, of course, two signed (not notarized) copies of the I-134, with my original signature.

Is that all? Note that I wasn't planning to send bank account info since my understanding is my income is high enough to qualify. Also, I am not sending the actual tax returns for the following reasons:

- I filed electronically so all I have is a PDF I can print.

- Those would require original signatures, and they were filed jointly with ex-wife. There is no way for me to retroactively locate her and convince her to sign those.

- It would be redundant, not necessary (as far as I understand), and quite frankly mostly meaningless since those would be easy to forge and don't really prove I actually filed those returns.

And, I just mail all this stuff to her and she takes it to the interview (doesn't mail it anywhere first), correct?

Comments please?

Anyone? Sorry to be a bother.

I sent the tax transcripts, letter from employer, and the I-134. I also decided to send the info from my bank. Like you, I don't think it should be necessary; but I'd rather have too much info than not enough. You'll probably be okay with what you have, but nobody can guarantee what they'll ask for.

And you are correct that you mail everything to her. She'll go to the interview with a folder of info that will mostly be ignored at the interview. But again, better to have too much than not enough.

Also, keep in mind that we haven't had our interview yet; so I am not speaking from experience, just from what I've read.

Is there anything specific I should know about the process in the Philippines regarding the I-134 I need to prepare for the K1 visa? I am waiting for NOA2 but want to be prepared in advance as much as I can.

My income is well more than enough to meet the poverty guidelines. So, I was only going to use my income on the form to qualify and not list any stocks/bonds (don't really have any), bank accounts, or real estate. To prove this income, I am planning to send:

- Last 3 years of IRS tax transcripts ("original" but that doesn't really mean much since its a printout they send me, and not signed or anything like that).

- Photocopies of last 3 years W-2 forms. If someone thinks it necessary, I could have them notarized as "true copy". But, I really don't want to send those originals since I can never get replacements again.

- "To whom it may concern" letter from the HR department saying the basics about my current employment. I'll send it with their original signature, and wait until after NOA2 so that it is current.

- 3 "pay stubs" after NOA2 (so that they are also current). I am only paid electronically, and the pay stubs are emailed to me, so this is basically a printout of the emails they send me. They of course look easy to fake since it is just monospaced text from an old mainframe computer that sends these out. I wasn't planning to sign these or get them notarized, since I'm not sure what that would mean.

- And, of course, two signed (not notarized) copies of the I-134, with my original signature.

Is that all? Note that I wasn't planning to send bank account info since my understanding is my income is high enough to qualify. Also, I am not sending the actual tax returns for the following reasons:

- Those would require original signatures, and they were filed jointly with ex-wife. There is no way for me to retroactively locate her and convince her to sign those.

- It would be redundant, not necessary (as far as I understand), and quite frankly mostly meaningless since those would be easy to forge and don't really prove I actually filed those returns.

And, I just mail all this stuff to her and she takes it to the interview (doesn't mail it anywhere first), correct?

Comments please?

This is exactly what I intend on sending. The only difference is I will add an addendum to include my retirement pay from USAF to my salary since it is not covered on the I-134. I've read a lot here on VJ that the IRS transcripts are the best to send since it officially reflects that you did file you taxes and they are only about 3 pages a piece. Hope this helps!

Edited by dindo and patty

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

My income is well more than enough to meet the poverty guidelines. So, I was only going to use my income on the form to qualify and not list any stocks/bonds (don't really have any), bank accounts, or real estate.

That's what I did. I simply used my income. Since it is well over 125% of the poverty, there was no need to include anything else.

To prove this income, I am planning to send:

That's what I did. I sent income tax transcripts from the current three years.

I also sent my W-2s from the current three years. There's no need to get them notarized.

I also sent a letter from my employer.

I sent three months worth of current pay stubs. No need to get them notarized, and no need to worry about their crude appearance. Keep in mind that the Embassy could verify anything about you in a nano-second if they wanted to.

Trust me...it's a good idea to send two of everything; one for the Embassy, and one for your fiancée. That way, if the Embassy loses something, your fiancée will be able to submit another one, and your visa process won't be delayed. The Embassy actually lost my I-134 and it's supporting financial documents.

It certainly isn't necessary to send your federal income tax returns since you are already sending your federal income tax transcripts. However, it wouldn't hurt. Just print the pdf and send it. No one has to sign it. It simply will serve to support your income tax transcripts...if that's even necessary. For the record, I sent my federal income tax returns from the current three years.

Do not mail your documents. You may be very sorry if you mail them. Send them via FedEx or DHL.

Yes, your fiancée needs to take those documents to her interview.

Comments please?

Best wishes for a smooth and speedy journey... :star:

Uh oh, I already mailed stuff. Just the I-129F package copy. Why, what could happen? I know they steal stuff, but there's no money in there.

Not necessarily theft. I just hope you're not on a tight schedule. There's not telling when things will be delivered by mail. :unsure:

Not necessarily theft. I just hope you're not on a tight schedule. There's not telling when things will be delivered by mail. :unsure:

Oh, that's all? That's a relief. I wanted to save money using regular mail because I knew we have plenty of time at this stage. The cards and such we've mailed so far seem to pretty reliably take 2 weeks, either way. (This is to Mindanao.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sent 2010 tax transcript, letter from employee, and one bank statement. I did not send 3 years of taxes like many people do. I was a bit nervous about that. Luckily, it was not an issue.

Best of luck to the op

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Who pores over our financial information??? Is it an office in Manila with cpa's??? Just wondering because they must look at hundreds and hundreds of these a year or more!! Being self employed I know all my information will be an inch thick. Just wondering who and how much time they take to look at each or ours records.

Who pores over our financial information??? Is it an office in Manila with cpa's??? Just wondering because they must look at hundreds and hundreds of these a year or more!! Being self employed I know all my information will be an inch thick. Just wondering who and how much time they take to look at each or ours records.

From what I gather, very little time. I'd be shocked if they did any more than glance at the overall income for the year on the tax return and say "yup good enough". I was making photocopies this evening of my 3 tax transcripts... WOW are they boring!! Yes, even more boring than the original 1040's I filed electronically (at least those looked pretty, unlike the transcripts which make my eyes bleed). If that were my job, I'd want to do as little as possible to confirm the requirements are met.

But, its the thing you don't include that they'll deny visa on, rather than the inch thick stack. So, I need to make sure I don't give them a reason to deny.

You would be wasting a monumental amount of your time if you were going to send that much information because all the CO is going to do is look at line 22 of your federal income tax return.

Timeline

Comments please?

Easier way to get a letter from your employer:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/316202-employment-verification-letter/

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

My line 22 is under the poverty level due to expenses last year. Took over a business 2 years ago and year 1 (on paper)was a losing year and last year income was over $20,000 but line 22 only over 10,000. I am now preparing for interview so am going to show now that I deposit $700 per week in the bank (letter from bank) and that I am sole owner of property with no liens or mortgages. CPA is also going to write a letter saying that my property has no liens or mortgages and that it is worth $250,000. Hope this will be enough. Will send my fiance copies of all deposits since January 1st and by the time we interview it will be over $40,000 in just deposits. This year no major write offs so will have to really pay alot of income tax. Wish I could do my 2011 income tax in August to show how I am doing now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.