Fischkoepfin

Traveling abroad with US-child

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm (Green Card Holder) traveling to my home country next week with my 2-year old son. My husband (US-citizen), who's currently in school, is not coming with us, but he fully consents to the trip. I am fully employed at a state university, and there would be no reason for me not to return to the US.

I've read that in addition to passports, I should still be taking a notarized consent form that allows me to leave the country with my son. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything else I should take, like his birth certificate (we have different last names), documentation from my employer, etc?

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Timeline

Yes, the notarized letter from the father with consent will be asked for. Child's birth certificate, and when returning to the US, they may ask for the child's passport. I had to get one for my daughter. You can get one expedited, but I'm not sure if you have enough time. I would research this first before being disappointed with not being allowed on the plane or through customs. Take as much documentation as you have of your child. Just in case.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for your quick response. My son does have a passport, so that's not a problem. I've a letter drafted and we're going to notarize that today. I was hoping to leave the birth certificate here, but I can see your point.

P.S.: Good luck with your paperwork!

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Timeline

Anytime :) The issue customs has is they fear that a foreigner would take a child to another country to avoid the father having access to the child. They trust no one. I forgot once going to Canada, I had to get my daughters father to fax one quickly to customs while we waited. Wasn't fun. Don't let THAT happen. Terrible!

Thanks for the good wishes too :) Much appreciated.

Filed: Other Timeline

It is my understanding that an application for a child's US passport does require the consent of both parents. Thus, a German LPR mother traveling with a child that has a German and a US passport should not need anything else. I agree that having a notarized consent from the father handy for worst case scenarios might be a good idea, but I wouldn't go gagga over birth certificates or letters from the Rabbi.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

By this time she might have traveled already, but just for general info, to carry a birth certificate when traveling with your child gives you peace of

mind and comes handy in any what IFS situation.

So better safe than sorry.

I think it may depend by country, though I am not sure. I know when we traveled to Bolivia, we were told my the consulate that if one parent were to take her, we would need a notarized letter from the other parent in order to enter Bolivia, despite having a US or Bolivian passport. I suppose it is because even though both parents consented to the passport, a situation may have changed in the time since where they are separated and one no longer consents or is running with the child.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.