Jenna&Moe

Kitab--jordan

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

So im doing my katb al kitab in 2 weeks when my dad comes to amman... This wont effect the k1 will it? Like we will be technically married but culturally engaged...? Anyone know?

If I remember correctly, the katb al kitab is recognized as a valid marriage in Jordan. If that information is still correct, you will no longer be eligible for a K1. Even if you treat it as a celibate marriage, you're still married under the law in Jordan and the US, so you would need to cancel your K1 and do a CR1 or K3.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

If I remember correctly, the katb al kitab is recognized as a valid marriage in Jordan. If that information is still correct, you will no longer be eligible for a K1. Even if you treat it as a celibate marriage, you're still married under the law in Jordan and the US, so you would need to cancel your K1 and do a CR1 or K3.

Well i asked my lawyer and he said its ok.... Because they know about our customs... And tge kitab is not a recognized marriage in the us... If its done here that is. If you want to do kitab in the US u need to bing a marriage lisence from court... But yea you can do it, because it is an engagement- islamically married, but legally not until we do other forms of paperwork... Like changing id #'s adding to family book, having the actual wedding etc. Just thought u guys might want to know :) im so happy i just want everything to be halal, but also dont want it to ruin the visa!

XOXO JOJO

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Since your father is Jordanian and involved in your arrangements, it is to be assumed that he will look out for your best interests.

Isha'allah, all goes well for you!

Salam

I think you need to file the K3. I got married in Amman and I did have my wedding their in March too but even if we would not have had the wedding I still would have had the K3. the Jordanian govt considers you married, you can go to the website of the consulate in Jordan and they tell you very specifically that you can not file the K1 once you have done katil il keetab. Email amman-IV@state.gov and ask them.

Timeline

Yes I agree with suf J+H=HOTTNESS cause once you do the katebktab the sheikh will give you the marriage contract so you are already married.

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amman, Jordan

Marriage :

I-130 Sent : 2006-12-08

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-02-06

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-26

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-07

NVC Received : 2008-01-05

NVC Left : 2008-02-1

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2008-04-29 Submit Review

Interview Result : Administrative Review

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

I-130 Approval : 2007-11-08

Comments : case reaffirmed 02-01-2010

waiting for a phone call inshallah

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Your I-130 was approved in 275 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 448 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes I agree with suf J+H=HOTTNESS cause once you do the katebktab the sheikh will give you the marriage contract so you are already married.

Once you sign the contract,you are legally married. USCIS considers the laws of marriage in the country that you married in...

The family book has nothing to do with it. There are TONS of american wives who have never even heard of the family book because their husbands never go get it done before they come here.

"technically" is exactly what USCIS is concerned with.

Good Luck

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

On the embassy website for immigrant visas, the Katb al-kitaab is now something that is listed that you should bring to the interview. I know when we first started this process, it wasn't, but now it is.

Original or certified copy of your marriage contract (katb al-kitaab) plus a photocopy and English translation. Contracts that list divorced spouses as “single” will not be accepted and must be corrected by the Sharia Court. http://jordan.usembassy.gov/iv_documents_required.html

J+H what did you decide to do? I hope all is well with you!! Best of luck!!

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

On the embassy website for immigrant visas, the Katb al-kitaab is now something that is listed that you should bring to the interview. I know when we first started this process, it wasn't, but now it is.

Original or certified copy of your marriage contract (katb al-kitaab) plus a photocopy and English translation. Contracts that list divorced spouses as “single” will not be accepted and must be corrected by the Sharia Court. http://jordan.usembassy.gov/iv_documents_required.html

J+H what did you decide to do? I hope all is well with you!! Best of luck!!

thank you so much! anyways I decided not to do it just in case. I talked to my lawyer, and he said it was ok, but to be on the safe side I didnt. Anyways im superrrrrrrrr happy got my NOA2 today... it was funny I just started my summer class and mid class i get a text from them and i jumped up the prof looked at me like i was crazy... idc im superrrrr excited :) inshallah all goes well! I am SOOOOOOOOOO over waiting, 2 years seeing someone every day, then having to come to the US for Uni 3 years later and im like a dead person... i miss him :(

XOXO JOJO

Timeline

thank you so much! anyways I decided not to do it just in case. I talked to my lawyer, and he said it was ok, but to be on the safe side I didnt. Anyways im superrrrrrrrr happy got my NOA2 today... it was funny I just started my summer class and mid class i get a text from them and i jumped up the prof looked at me like i was crazy... idc im superrrrr excited :) inshallah all goes well! I am SOOOOOOOOOO over waiting, 2 years seeing someone every day, then having to come to the US for Uni 3 years later and im like a dead person... i miss him :(

Congratulations on receiving your NOA2..that is great news!! Inshallah, the rest of your journey will go quickly and smoothly. That is funny about the text you received during class. =)

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Congratulations on receiving your NOA2..that is great news!! Inshallah, the rest of your journey will go quickly and smoothly. That is funny about the text you received during class. =)

Haha thank you very much! interview is on Monday Inshallah...im seriouslt freeaakinggg out! I am sooooo happy I did not do the Kitab by the way... God has a funny way in helping people out al7amdulilah. So we had some problems with the Kitab when my dad came to jordan, and we ended up not doing it and my dad made me come back to america early :( I was really really really sad and depressed about it... it was all from his crappy sister inlaw i swear she is the worst person i have ever met...and I dont hate people never have..but her i can honestly say I HATE... but anyways when I got back to the US it just bothered my how things went down, and it made me second guess everything between us.. and ofc i had everyone constantly telling me to "make sure" and im like dude we have been together for 5 years I AM SURE, but still it was in the back of my brain. So during Ramadan I was seriously thinking alot, and I am not a very religious person...but I ended up praying salat al Istikhara like 5 days in a row at fajr (for those of you who dont know what that is, its like a prayer where you ask god for guidance, and to help you or give you a sign to help you make a decision, it can come in a dream, or something may happen suddenly, or even way into the future and you realize like wow! God answered my prayer and helped me go down the right path.)Anyways, about 2 weeks after I prayed Istikhara, I was on facebook and I have the Jordan embassy as one of my pages so i saw a post that they had updated something on their website with the K-1 Visa... So i opened it and then they had officially posted that Katib al kitab is seen as a legal marriage by the US and Jordan therefore if it is done you have to like reapply do the Cr1 or soemthing like that... That day I cried, and was so thankful to God. When everything happened I hated life and I was so scared that I was making a mistake, but then its like a bright light appeared before me. Like WOW this horrible thing that happened, actually helped me alot.. just goes to show you never know what life can bring you!

XOXO JOJO

Timeline

Haha thank you very much! interview is on Monday Inshallah...im seriouslt freeaakinggg out! I am sooooo happy I did not do the Kitab by the way... God has a funny way in helping people out al7amdulilah. So we had some problems with the Kitab when my dad came to jordan, and we ended up not doing it and my dad made me come back to america early :( I was really really really sad and depressed about it... it was all from his crappy sister inlaw i swear she is the worst person i have ever met...and I dont hate people never have..but her i can honestly say I HATE... but anyways when I got back to the US it just bothered my how things went down, and it made me second guess everything between us.. and ofc i had everyone constantly telling me to "make sure" and im like dude we have been together for 5 years I AM SURE, but still it was in the back of my brain. So during Ramadan I was seriously thinking alot, and I am not a very religious person...but I ended up praying salat al Istikhara like 5 days in a row at fajr (for those of you who dont know what that is, its like a prayer where you ask god for guidance, and to help you or give you a sign to help you make a decision, it can come in a dream, or something may happen suddenly, or even way into the future and you realize like wow! God answered my prayer and helped me go down the right path.)Anyways, about 2 weeks after I prayed Istikhara, I was on facebook and I have the Jordan embassy as one of my pages so i saw a post that they had updated something on their website with the K-1 Visa... So i opened it and then they had officially posted that Katib al kitab is seen as a legal marriage by the US and Jordan therefore if it is done you have to like reapply do the Cr1 or soemthing like that... That day I cried, and was so thankful to God. When everything happened I hated life and I was so scared that I was making a mistake, but then its like a bright light appeared before me. Like WOW this horrible thing that happened, actually helped me alot.. just goes to show you never know what life can bring you!

You are soooo right...you never can tell what life will bring you!! I am so glad that it worked out for you! Best of luck with your inteview!!:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.