brit1985

Interview prep- London & Medical Insurance upon arrival in USA?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

I am gathering the required documents together for my interview in London. I know they do not specifically ask to see my financial situation but would it be advisable to include a bank statement showing my savings I am taking to the US (approximately $3000) as my fiance does not have much in savings although we have a co sponsor (his brother). Or is this just supplying them with information they do not wish to see?

A second point I am wondering about is does anybody know of good medical insurers in the US which will cover me for current medical issues, i will need to be able to get my prescriptions when I get our there? I am all very confused by what I am reading about it. my fiance is not covered through his job and only pays for a basic package as he never goes to the doctor and doesnt take any medications!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by brit1985

Medical insurance is dependent on the state you're moving to. If by chance you are moving to Michigan I can post some more info.

Individual plans are expensive (~$300/month) and generally not a good as you'd get through work. If your husband has the option for insurance but has just opted out, I'd look into that first. It might be difficult to get individual insurance with a pre-existing medical condition. You will most likely need a letter from the UK government stating that you have always had medical coverage.

You don't need insurance to go to a doc but be prepared to pay about $100-200 a visit.

I would not live in the US without good insurance. For being "in good health and young" I racked up around $100,000 in medical billings last year. Without insurance I would have been destroyed.

Medical insurance is dependent on the state you're moving to. If by chance you are moving to Michigan I can post some more info.

Individual plans are expensive (~$300/month) and generally not a good as you'd get through work. If your husband has the option for insurance but has just opted out, I'd look into that first. It might be difficult to get individual insurance with a pre-existing medical condition. You will most likely need a letter from the UK government stating that you have always had medical coverage.

You don't need insurance to go to a doc but be prepared to pay about $100-200 a visit.

I would not live in the US without good insurance. For being "in good health and young" I racked up around $100,000 in medical billings last year. Without insurance I would have been destroyed.

I am not sure about showing evidence of your funds here in the UK.If they require some evidence they would ask for it. In relation to insurance I will be using these until I am married that should within a week of entering the USA hope this helps. When is your interview ? look at this site .......... http://www.immigrationhealth.com/aboutus.htm

Edited by Patricklove

Patricklove !!

Patricklove timeline........

K1 Journey [/u]

K 1 Visa Sent application.....July 27 2010 Approved December 9th 2010

Packet 3 recieved .....January 4 2011 Visa Qualified....... 17 March 2011

Medical ........24 March 2011 Paid MRV...... 30 March 2011

Packet 4 recieved.....13 May 2011

Interview....Approved 20 June 2011

Visa in hand......27 June 2011

Arrival in USA ....3 July 2011

AOS Journey [/u]

SSN Card Application 15 July 2011

SSN recieved 23 July 2011

Application for Marriage Licence 15 August 2011

Licence Recieved 19 August 2011

Officially Married 26 August 2011

Civil Surgeon updated 30 August 2011

Driving Licence for MI September 2011

AOS/EAD/AP forms in mail 21 September 2011

AP & EAD approved December 2011 AOS approved January 25th 2012

They don't care and will not ask for any financial information from you. Unless you were self sponsoring you funds are not important to them.

As far as medical insurance goes. I took out the inbound immigrant one with Seven Corners, until we were married and I could be put onto my wifes insurance. I'm not sure how they deal with pre-existing medical conditions, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by ameribrit

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

@ameribrit - thanks for the suggestion of that policy... I'm looking into it now, as my other half *finally* arrives this week...

They don't care and will not ask for any financial information from you. Unless you were self sponsoring you funds are not important to them.

As far as medical insurance goes. I took out the inbound immigrant one with Seven Corners, until we were married and I could be put onto my wifes insurance. I'm not sure how they deal with pre-existing medical conditions, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck :thumbs:

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thanks for your replies! no my fiance's job does not offer any kind of medical insurance :-( so i will have to get my own until i am authorised to work then hopefully my company will offer a medical plan! my interview has not been scheduled yet, i had my medical last thursday in london so the embassy should get my results tomorrow also i haven't yet sent off the 'i am ready for interview' form as i am waiting to recieve the paperwork back from our co sponsor (which was mailed at the weekend)!

I am just worried they will ask me so how will you pay for the AOS and my medical insurance which i am planning to use my savings. or is this unlikely. will it hurt to bring a current bank statement to interview?

I don't believe they ask how you will pay for your AOS.

But if it's an issue - sure- say you will use savings, or your fiance will pay, or.. however. They're more concerned with knowing that your fiance can support you in general upon your arrival.

thanks for your replies! no my fiance's job does not offer any kind of medical insurance :-( so i will have to get my own until i am authorised to work then hopefully my company will offer a medical plan! my interview has not been scheduled yet, i had my medical last thursday in london so the embassy should get my results tomorrow also i haven't yet sent off the 'i am ready for interview' form as i am waiting to recieve the paperwork back from our co sponsor (which was mailed at the weekend)!

I am just worried they will ask me so how will you pay for the AOS and my medical insurance which i am planning to use my savings. or is this unlikely. will it hurt to bring a current bank statement to interview?

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

If you have current medical issues then be prepared to pay quite a bit for insurance. Once you are able to find a job with benefits that won't be the case, but you will probably just have to grin and bear it for the first few months. Depending on what kind of treatment you need, you may decide it better to pay the lowest premium available (which would only cover catastrophic care) and then pay out of pocket for other stuff. Depends on how much your prescriptions cost. Try to bring as much medicine from the UK as possible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.