3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have an i-485 in process and I have already received several i-797c Notice of Actions, and my appointment for biometrics. I need to go out of town and was wondering if it was possible to travel within the United States with only these notices and any form of identification?

Thank's for your responses

I have an i-485 in process and I have already received several i-797c Notice of Actions, and my appointment for biometrics. I need to go out of town and was wondering if it was possible to travel within the United States with only these notices and any form of identification?

No problem at all, you only need a DL (or any other gov-issued ID) to travel by air or drive within US (if you're travelling by train or bus, you will not be asked to show ID).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you were out of status when you submitted your I-485 then you should keep the I-797C receipt notice for your I-485 with you. It shows you are in a period of authorized stay while your I-485 is being adjudicated. Don't show it to anyone unless you're asked about your immigration status. TSA doesn't usually get involved in immigration, but if they discover that a passenger may be out of status then they may call CBP or ICE to investigate. This is more likely to happen if you present the TSA document checker with identification issued by a foreign government that appears questionable to them. For example, if you present a foreign passport that's worn out then the TSA document checker may look more closely at it to determine if it might be a fake (this is the TDC's primary job). If, in the course of that inspection, they discover that the traveler's period of admission appears to have expired then they may call CBP or ICE to come over from the international terminal and have a look. In that event, you'll be asked by the CBP or ICE agent to prove you are lawfully present. The receipt notice for the I-485 will work for this.

If you have unexpired identification issued by the US government then it would be better to use that.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.