imen

Times between interview and oath ceremony

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In the oath ceremony letter they give there is some questions about if you have been arrested from the time you first interviewed until the date of oath and question about commiting crimes or traffic offenses or being separated.. I just want to know what kind of affect on citizenship does it have if something happens between the time of interview and before the oath ceremony? Would they revoke your approval? Just curious about this since it seems like even being approved doesn't guarantee citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since I already knew about those eight questions, just strongly informed my wife and stepdaughter to be extra good so they wouldn't have to find out what would happen. They were good.

But kind of recall reading a post here where a woman applicant husband had died during that time, she had to reapply in two more years. Correct me, if I am mistaken about this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Of course i think she'd have to reapply in two years since she has to be married at the time of oath too, so i think best way they should be doing same day oaths in stead of this pre-approved situations

Here is where you will note, no continuity between the 80 some odd field offices. Our field office was taking a year between the interview and oath ceremony, took some political pressure on her to change that. But she is history now, new gal is far more considerate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Imen can you tell me when you got your interview letter and when your interview was? Just asking because I am awaiting an interview at the same office. And everything seems random with the process so I can't answer your question except to say would be great if ALL the office did same day Oath ceremonies.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Other Timeline

In the oath ceremony letter they give there is some questions about if you have been arrested from the time you first interviewed until the date of oath and question about commiting crimes or traffic offenses or being separated.. I just want to know what kind of affect on citizenship does it have if something happens between the time of interview and before the oath ceremony? Would they revoke your approval? Just curious about this since it seems like even being approved doesn't guarantee citizenship.

Sure.

If you now get busted with a hooker or being arrested for dropping your pants in front of a bunch of school girls while screaming "bet you didn't see that coming, you sissies!" and you truthfully enter this on the N-445, which you are required to do, it is very likely that the supervising I.O. at the Oath Ceremony will reschedule your naturalization until the outcome of the . . . um, incident is at acta.

Not disclosing such an arrest would be material misrepresentation and surely USCIS would exercise their option to nullify the naturalization afterward, which is something they can do within the 2 years following the naturalization with just a signature. No judge required! They would also send you home for good.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.