Herb-Mel

NOA2 in hand, got questions about NVC, Consulate and expected wait times

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hey there fellow VJ'ers,

My fiance and I finally got our NOA2 after 4 months of waiting. Yay! We received the email notification on 23rd May. I have read through most of the guides and flow chart etc but i just wanted to get some real time feedback on a few things:

1. How soon can we start calling the NVC and expect to get a case number?

2. How soon after getting the case number should we start calling the consulate in Malaysia about the interview?

3. Once we hear from the consulate, what's the average wait time till the interview?

4. Should i request for an EAD stamp at the POE when i come in with the K1?

I would really like to hear what most of you have experienced and any advice you might have.

[/size]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey there fellow VJ'ers,

My fiance and I finally got our NOA2 after 4 months of waiting. Yay! We received the email notification on 23rd May. I have read through most of the guides and flow chart etc but i just wanted to get some real time feedback on a few things:

1. How soon can we start calling the NVC and expect to get a case number?

2. How soon after getting the case number should we start calling the consulate in Malaysia about the interview?

3. Once we hear from the consulate, what's the average wait time till the interview?

4. Should i request for an EAD stamp at the POE when i come in with the K1?

I would really like to hear what most of you have experienced and any advice you might have.

[/size]

Congratulations!!! :thumbs:

Give the NVC about 4-6 business days to receive your petition, and then start calling about your case number. I'm not sure about timeframes for Malaysia (hopefully another VJ member can help you with that), but I don't think you are able to get an EAD stamp anymore at POE. You have to file for EAD along with AOS after marriage. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

Hopefully things will go more quickly now!

Timeline

Thank you so much. Because the official timeline says 14days until we can contact the NVC, and that seems a tad bit too long because i remember reading about people who start calling the NVC after 3 days. Yes, i'm going to file the EAD with AOS, but was hoping the stamp will make it easier to get the social security card.

I did find some info about the Malaysian consulate...and the wait time till interview is 50 days!! Gosh.. Oh well.. :blink: I'm just glad something is moving at last..

I do have another question though. Do i really need to send all the originals for packet 3? It sounds really risky to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so much. Because the official timeline says 14days until we can contact the NVC, and that seems a tad bit too long because i remember reading about people who start calling the NVC after 3 days. Yes, i'm going to file the EAD with AOS, but was hoping the stamp will make it easier to get the social security card.

I did find some info about the Malaysian consulate...and the wait time till interview is 50 days!! Gosh.. Oh well.. :blink: I'm just glad something is moving at last..

I do have another question though. Do i really need to send all the originals for packet 3? It sounds really risky to me.

You won't need anything but your visa and passport to get the SS card, but do wait about 10 business days after arrival so your paperwork from POE is in the system.

Packet 3 is simply forms (see embassy website for details) and a cover letter. They can be downloaded and signed after you print them out. Original documentation (birth certificate, police certificate, etc) needs to go with you to the interview. Have you checked out the embassy link for Malaysia here on VJ? I just looked at it and I do think some things are a bit confusing - there's a long list of things the consulate will need including some originals and its misleading as to when you get those to the consulate. Maybe someone else on VJ who has gone through Malaysia can answer, but I think originals like passports and birth certificates do not get mailed.

Also, I just checked Igor's list and it looks like the average wait between consulate receipt of your petition and interview for the past 3 months is about 77 days - sorry...

Good luck!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Take a look at my timeline. You'll never call the consulate in Malaysia--they'll send you packet 3, you'll send some info back. Then, they'll send you packet 4 with your interview date and info about the medical. I think my timeline is optimal: I sent everything back the day I received it and even had the interview moved up.

If you do everything right, I'd estimate NOA2 - Interview in Malaysia at about 60 days. Just make sure you have your police certificate! :P

Edited by Élan

Oct. 19, 2010: Sent I-129F packet

Oct. 25, 2010: NOA1

Nov. 05, 2010: Touched

Mar. 01, 2011: Went to Malaysia to be with my fiancé

Mar. 30, 2011: NOA2!

Apr. 08, 2011: Case left NVC

Apr. 12, 2011: Case received by embassy in KL

Apr. 19, 2011: Received Packet 3

May 04, 2011: Received Packet 4

May 06, 2011: Medical examination

May 26, 2011: Interview

RESULT: Administrative Processing

Jun. 18, 2011: Visa received

POE: June 27 @ San Francisco, CA

Married: July 20, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

No, you don't send originals of everything. They'll send you an official checklist. Once you sign/swear that you have all the documents listed, they will give you an interview time. Until then, you wait. So make sure you have everything ready right now. :)

Oct. 19, 2010: Sent I-129F packet

Oct. 25, 2010: NOA1

Nov. 05, 2010: Touched

Mar. 01, 2011: Went to Malaysia to be with my fiancé

Mar. 30, 2011: NOA2!

Apr. 08, 2011: Case left NVC

Apr. 12, 2011: Case received by embassy in KL

Apr. 19, 2011: Received Packet 3

May 04, 2011: Received Packet 4

May 06, 2011: Medical examination

May 26, 2011: Interview

RESULT: Administrative Processing

Jun. 18, 2011: Visa received

POE: June 27 @ San Francisco, CA

Married: July 20, 2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I recommend calling the NVC every day. To get through the menu, press 1 for English, then 1 again in order to check that status of your case. Follow the directions from there. An automated message will tell you if it has arrived or not. I find this is helpful because that way I can just type the numbers in myself and not have to bother a live person every single time. If you do want to speak with someone, press 1 for English, and then 2.

I've been calling every day for three weeks and it still has not arrived. I decided to press 2 to talk with someone today, and she said that since it has reached 21 days since the approval date, they can begin to investigate its whereabouts. They instructed me to scan in the NOA2 and email it to them. I will be informed of where it is within a few days.

So, yes, it's worth calling every day, I believe! None of us want delays!

07.24.09 Met in Mexico.

03.18.10 Began dating via internet.

07.10.10 Arrived in Mexico, 2nd trip.

12.16.10 Returned home to US. Last time I've seen him :(

12.20.10 I-129f sent to Dallas.

12.28.10 I-129f received.

12.30.10 NOA1

05.04.11 NOA2

05.07.11 Received hardcopy NOA2 in the mail.

05.31.11 NVC receive.

06.02.11 NVC sent.

06.02.11 Consulate Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Sent. (i.e. submitting DS-260 and filling out and printing DS-156 and DS-156K)

06.14.11 Scheduled ASC and interview.

07.10.11 Departure to Mexico City.

07.11.11 Mexico City to Juárez.

07.12.11 Medical

07.13.11 ASC appointment

07.14.11 INTERVIEW! and APPROVED!! :)

07.21.11 Visa in Transit.

07.22.11 Visa Ready to be Picked Up @ DHL.

07.23.11 Picked up visa @ DHL.

07.23.11 Crossed border to El Paso.

07.24.11 Flight to Boston and FINALLY IN MY ARMS AGAIN!!! Thank you Lord!

09.17.11 Married!

09.27.11 Sent in papers for AOS

02.13.12 Received RFE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I recommend calling the NVC every day. To get through the menu, press 1 for English, then 1 again in order to check that status of your case. Follow the directions from there. An automated message will tell you if it has arrived or not. I find this is helpful because that way I can just type the numbers in myself and not have to bother a live person every single time. If you do want to speak with someone, press 1 for English, and then 2.

I've been calling every day for three weeks and it still has not arrived. I decided to press 2 to talk with someone today, and she said that since it has reached 21 days since the approval date, they can begin to investigate its whereabouts. They instructed me to scan in the NOA2 and email it to them. I will be informed of where it is within a few days.

So, yes, it's worth calling every day, I believe! None of us want delays!

Probably nobody asks this but.... how do u get to talk to the machine????? the 2 times I have called I always get to talk to a live person! And like you said, I dont really want to bother them every day!!

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Timeline

Ok, here's what you do.

When you call, it will say: "For English, Press 1." Obviously do that.

Then he will say other stuff...blah blah blah...

Then he says that if you wish to speak to an operator, Press 5. DON'T press five.

Then he'll say some other stuff ..."blah blah blah..."

Then he will say: "For information on your Immigrant Visas, Press 1. For information on ... K1 Fiance Visas, Press 2" DO NOT PRESS 2. PRESS 1. That is how you get to the machine.

From there you will likely be pressing a bunch of 1's. Just follow the instructions from there and you'll see what I mean.

TRICK: To make it faster instead of having to listen to all that blah blah stuff that you already know anyway since you've called a million times already, just do this: As soon as you call, just press 1 immediately, then when you hear it changing over and he starts saying something else, just press one again. Get's you there mas rápido!

1 + 1 = machine

07.24.09 Met in Mexico.

12.30.10 NOA1

05.04.11 NOA2

05.31.11 NVC receive.

06.02.11 NVC sent.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Sent. (i.e. submitting DS-260 and filling out and printing DS-156 and DS-156K)

07.12.11 Medical

07.13.11 ASC appointment

09.17.11 Married!

02.13.12 Received RFE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It took me about 5 days to get my case number from the NVC. They have sent me a notification that they forwarded the case to respective consulate but almost 2 weeks now, we have not receive any elibility letter nor our case was put in their system. I hope Malaysia acts fast when they received the case. For now you should complete all the supporting documents and DS Forms to be ready.

K1 Visa -

AOS Timeline
AUG 24 2011 > K1 Visa POE San Francisco CA (Finally
OCT 06 2011 > Got Married in Redwood City CA (Ehem!)

NOV 14 2011 > SUBMITTED I-1485, I-765 & I-131 Application via USPS to Chicago Lockbox
NOV 18 2011 > Received text and email (I-797 Notice of action was sent via mail)
NOV 26 2011 > Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for DECEMBER 13...
DEC 13 2011 > BIOMETRICS DONE
JAN 07 2011 > Received INTERVIEW Notice for FEB 1st!
JAN 14 2012 > EAD RECEIVED
FEB 01 2012 > INTERVIEW DONE we got APPROVED for conditional GREENCARD yESSSS!!!

I-751 Removal of Condition Journey
DEC 27 2013 > Sent I-751 packet Laguna Niguel Office, CSC
JAN 2 2014 > Packet sent back because of wrong filing fee (wrote $585 instead of $590)
JAN 2 2014 > Re-sent I-751 packet with the correct filing fee this time
JAN 6 2014 > They have received my packet

JAN 9 2014 > Check enchashed

JAN 12 2014> Received Biometrics Appointment

JAN 31 2014> Biometrics done!

April 30 2014> GC Approved

May 4 2014> Letter received Card in production

May 7 2014> Received 10 yr GC! WEEEEEE!!! THANK GOD!

Watch our cute wedding video!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok, here's what you do.

Then he says that if you wish to speak to an operator, Press 5. DON'T press five.

Then he will say: "For information on your Immigrant Visas, Press 1. For information on ... K1 Fiance Visas, Press 2" DO NOT PRESS 2. PRESS 1. That is how you get to the machine.

From there you will likely be pressing a bunch of 1's. Just follow the instructions from there and you'll see what I mean.

TRICK: To make it faster instead of having to listen to all that blah blah stuff that you already know anyway since you've called a million times already, just do this: As soon as you call, just press 1 immediately, then when you hear it changing over and he starts saying something else, just press one again. Get's you there mas rápido!

1 + 1 = machine

Great!!!! Thank, I will try that tomorrow!!!!!

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Timeline

Thanks! I am calling everyday. Both times i spoke to a live person. I'll try the machine next time. I have already collected the necessary documents. So i guess the best thing to do is to wait for the consulate to mail packet 3 and then try to mail it back to them ASAP. I definitely would feel better about bringing the originals along with me instead of mailing it. I did see the page for the Malaysian consulate and it was confusing. Also i was wondering if i can just go ahead and do the medical while waiting for them to give me and interview date, since i know the address of the panel doctor?

Timeline

Ok, here's what you do.

1 + 1 = machine

I'm replying to my own message because I have an update on this:

I have since found out that it is actually better to talk to a real person when you call the NVC. I used to always only use the automated system so I could just punch in the numbers and not have to bother anyone everyday. But then I decided to talk to someone one day and they said that they had received it and gave me the case number. I called today and used the automated system again to see if it had left the NVC. I still got the computer response telling me they had no record of it at all. So again, I decided to talk to a real person, and then they told me it had left yesterday for Juarez. So you can certainly keep trying the computer response system, but the real live person will be able to tell you for sure whether they have it or not, and whether it's already been forwarded to the Consulate or not.

Just thought you'd all like to know that...

07.24.09 Met in Mexico.

12.30.10 NOA1

05.04.11 NOA2

05.31.11 NVC receive.

06.02.11 NVC sent.

07.12.11 Medical

07.13.11 ASC appointment

09.17.11 Married!

02.13.12 Received RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.