MrMath

Panic! Certified Copy of Divorce Decree

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I think the way a divorce decree is certified varies from state to state or even county to county for all that. I went to my county courthouse (North Carolina) and ask for a certified copy of my divorce papers and The cleck of the court signed it and stamped it with the basic raised seal. Cost was $3 per page. I'm sure the way the certification is done will be different by state and county. where I live it's cheap :)

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

North Carolina is not California. Each state has it's system for managing marriage and divorce records. I live in California, and if I went to the courthouse where my divorce was granted and asked for a judge (or three) to sign my divorce decree to "certify" it then he would either laugh at me or look at me like I was from Mars. However, what you say may very well be possible, and may even be the correct process in North Carolina - I don't know because I don't live there.

In most California counties, the only judge who signs a divorce decree is the one who grants the divorce, and they only sign it at the time the divorce is granted. That original document goes into the court's records, and a copy of it is sent to the California Department of Public Health, Vital Records division. The custodian of that original signed document is the court clerk. A certified copy is a copy produced by the court clerk from the original copy, and stamped and signed by the court clerk as being an authentic copy of the original.

In California you can also ask for a Certificate of Record from the California Department of Public Health. However, that's not a certified copy of the divorce decree. They can't produce a certified copy because they don't have the original document.

Yes I agree and not only does each state have their different requirements but also each embassy..that said..

I did not walk in and tell them I wanted 3 judges to sign this paper...I went in and told them I needed my divorce decree and told them why...They were the ones that said..then you not only need the certififed copy of the decree but you also need this...and put this letter on top with signatures and a gold seal...All I did was simply tell them WHY I needed it...evidently its thier way of doing things...so why is everyone giving me such a hard time? I was simply stating exactly what I was given to send into NVC...

Hi, I think the way a divorce decree is certified varies from state to state or even county to county for all that. I went to my county courthouse (North Carolina) and ask for a certified copy of my divorce papers and The cleck of the court signed it and stamped it with the basic raised seal. Cost was $3 per page. I'm sure the way the certification is done will be different by state and county. where I live it's cheap :)

I too think it depends on each county...

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

@OP, if you use the "copy" that you have, you might be left without a copy for yourself. In my case, I obtained the "certified Copy" from my county in New York State. It took about 5 minutes and cost $5.00. When we got to the embassy, they took it and I have not seen it since. But I still have the "original" copy that came from the court.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Thank you all so much! I went to the courthouse today. I wasn't able to get a certified copy, because the original was in storage, but I got a certified letter from the clerk saying that the document is not readily available, the marriage was terminated, the document exists and finally that the letter itself "should confirm" that the marriage is dissolved. I also ordered a certified copy, but it'll take a week...if we need it the wedding will simply have to come after the honeymoon :) So...I now have plan A, B and C. Wish us luck! The letter looks pretty good, so I'm hoping plan A or B will do the trick.

I really appreciate this community, but so far I've been a consumer of information. I look forward to coming back and posting our experience, that it may help someone else.

Thank You again!

Eric.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Understand you. Better to have whatever you think needed. When I went to the Philipphines there was No Toilet Paper.

Mr. Whimple was there and said: Please don't Squeeze the Charmin. LOL :rofl:

Hi by the day when did u use the toilet paper last time???:P omg i think u have to listen to everyone what they r saying rather den giving ur advice lol....everyone here is for the same purpose so try to help each other rather den pulling there leg and by forcing ur advice on others...gul...

eDztp5.png

p9WGm4.png

Hello Eric,

I took certified copies of my final divorce decree (Texas) when I obtained Legal Capacity to Marry on January 18th of this year. They require the "original" seal on these copies. Here in Texas, it's a blue ink stamp placed on the last page of the final decree.

The CO did not request a copy to keep for their files. They simply wanted certified copies to read through before issuing Legal Capacity to Marry. Fee is $50 or peso equivalent. This whole process takes less than 30 minutes. Make sure to schedule your appointment online prior to your arrival in Manila.

Here's the link. Also, include a working phone number in case the USEM needs to reschedule the appointment.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Good Luck!

*USCIS JOURNEY* - 96 Days

01/31/11 - Our wedding :-) Manila, Philippines

03/15/11 - I-130 package sent Fedex Priority

03/16/11 - Package delivered - signed by S. BUSH 9:17AM

03/18/11 - NOA1 (Priority Date 03/16/11) - Rec'd Email & text msg 9:15pm CT/CSC

03/21/11 - Able to view case status on USCIS.gov

03/22/11 - $420.00 check cleared bank

03/24/11 - Rec'd NOA1 via regular mail

06/23/11 - called USCIS- petition approved as of 06/20/11! Rec'd NOA2 hardcopy 06/23/11

*NVC JOURNEY* - 28 days - from case # assigned to SIF

07/20/11 - NVC Case # Assigned :-) yay!

07/21/11 - Obtained IIN

07/23/11 - Emailed DS3032 - accepted 07/27/11

07/26/11 - $88.00 AOS fee paid/print barcode 7/29

07/28/11 - $404.00 IV paid//print barcode 08/01

08/08/11 - Sent I-864EZ & DS230 via Fedex Overnite

08/09/11 - NVC rec'd AOS & DS230 @ 9:55am

08/17/11 - NVC SIF/Case Complete! Wooohoo!

08/30/11 - rec'd official NVC interview email

*Medical/USEM Manila/POE*

08/15-16/11 - Advanced Medical St. Lukes - PASSED! Yay!

08/26/11 - Interview set for Oct 4!

10/04/11 - Interview passed

10/06/11 - Passport with visa on hand

10/08/11 - POE - Houston TX

yj8dm5.png

I was in Manila when we decided to marry. I had my ex wife email me a copy of our divorce. We used a color printer to print it out and that was accepted and fine. nothing was said about it. Been married a little over 2 years now, getting ready to file removing conditions in a week or so. Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

All right, everything was fine :) They accepted the copy that was stamped "Filed" and I didn't need a certified copy.

A couple FYI's for anyone who happens to stumble upon this topic:

- There are a lot of sites out there that still say you don't need an appointment. You do! And they fill up. Go to the embassy website early and make your appointment.

- The embassy web site seems to imply that your fiance can come into the embassy with you. Your fiance has to wait outside, and it may take an hour or two. There is a "fiance waiting area" which is really just a glorified sidewalk. So, if you're comfortable with the area you might want to leave your fiance behind.

Thanks for your help with everything!

Eric.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

All right, everything was fine :) They accepted the copy that was stamped "Filed" and I didn't need a certified copy.

A couple FYI's for anyone who happens to stumble upon this topic:

- There are a lot of sites out there that still say you don't need an appointment. You do! And they fill up. Go to the embassy website early and make your appointment.

- The embassy web site seems to imply that your fiance can come into the embassy with you. Your fiance has to wait outside, and it may take an hour or two. There is a "fiance waiting area" which is really just a glorified sidewalk. So, if you're comfortable with the area you might want to leave your fiance behind.

Thanks for your help with everything!

Eric.

I just got my divorce decree and its 12 pages. The first page is stamped filed and on the last page the backside is stamped certified and signed by the judge. Did you mail in your whole decree (like mine 12pages)?

I just got my divorce decree and its 12 pages. The first page is stamped filed and on the last page the backside is stamped certified and signed by the judge. Did you mail in your whole decree (like mine 12pages)?

In my case I was applying for a waiver of affidavit of eligibility to marry in the Philippines. The only way to obtain this is to appear in person at the embassy in Manila or Cebu. It sounds like you are looking at a different process, so I'm not sure.

Eric.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.