24 posts in this topic

Go to a different SS office or ask for a manager. Make sure you are being inputted as an "EAD holder" and NOT a k-1 visa holder. An EAD holder is entitled to SSN.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Go to a different SS office or ask for a manager. Make sure you are being inputted as an "EAD holder" and NOT a k-1 visa holder. An EAD holder is entitled to SSN.

Since going in person and applying.

We have called Social Security several times. Both local office and another head place. All times...told the same thing.

Cant issue a number yet. Other than lobbing the counter, i dont see what else we can do to get a number.

They are aware im an EAD holder. I have shown them my plastic card several times. They have even spoken to Immigration....or so they say they have.

*sighs* I just broke the news to my new employer yesterday. You know the one that i have been fobbing off for weeks now.

All the while assuring her my numbers coming blah blah blah. Suffice to say it looks like i have lost the job. I was supposed to start next week. Im pretty pissed that this has happened.

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-20

Packet 3 Received : 2010-02-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-20

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Booked into Norman Bates Hotel: 2010-07-29

Medical : 2010-07-29 (4 letters issued >.<)

Interview Date : 2010-07-30 (pending medical results)

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

US Entry (Dulles) : 2011-2-27 Hot Tomales time <3

I suggest you post in the "finding work" forum because that is about SSNs. Member IQuit will hopefully be able to help you. This doesn't add up. Why can't they issue you a number? Who are you calling? What is their excuse for not issuing? You have an EAD - you are entitled to SSN.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

I suggest you post in the "finding work" forum because that is about SSNs. Member IQuit will hopefully be able to help you. This doesn't add up. Why can't they issue you a number? Who are you calling? What is their excuse for not issuing? You have an EAD - you are entitled to SSN.

Agree, it does not add up.

My Husband thought it was because our AOS is still under *initial review* I have tried to explain to him that the EAD plastic card i have been issued is my temporary permission to work until the AOS is sorted (Thats how i understand it all)

They say they cant issue a number as they are still awaiting on Immigration to get back to them.

A social security guy from the Manassas office told us, that the last time they spoke to Immigration was on the 24th August, what they spoke about i have no idea. Maybe exchanging cookie recipes?

We have also called the number that is on the reciept they gave me when i applied for the social security number.

No joy with them either.

As a last resort, i sent an email question to their online enquiry that they do. I got a response back this morning saying....

"Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration.

Please, contact your local social security office; you can obtain the location and other information about your local Social Security office by calling our toll-free telephone number, 1-800-772-1213, or by accessing the following Internet address:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/locator"

......yea shoot me now!

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

EDIT: I meant the "working and traveling" forum, not the "finding work" forum... sorry.

Please ask your question there. Member IQuit will hopefully be able to quote the relevant part of SSA code for you, or you can search his posts. What are you asking the SS office or saying to people? Somewhere something is getting miscommunicated. Remember: This SS application no longer has ANYTHING do to with your K-1 visa. You have EAD, you are an EAD holder - authorized to work. You should not mention your K-1 to avoid any confusion. You don't ned your I-94 or anything with your K-1 visa. You show them your EAD and passport, and marriage cert only if you changed your name (to account for the name change).

AOS for my husband

ROC:

EDIT: I meant the "working and traveling" forum, not the "finding work" forum... sorry.

Please ask your question there. Member IQuit will hopefully be able to quote the relevant part of SSA code for you, or you can search his posts. What are you asking the SS office or saying to people? Somewhere something is getting miscommunicated. Remember: This SS application no longer has ANYTHING do to with your K-1 visa. You have EAD, you are an EAD holder - authorized to work. You should not mention your K-1 to avoid any confusion. You don't ned your I-94 or anything with your K-1 visa. You show them your EAD and passport, and marriage cert only if you changed your name (to account for the name change).

I have messaged IQuit and asked if he would kindly read this topic and give me some advice.

I showed them everything they asked me for.

Marriage cert

Passport

EAD

Filled out the form. Lady checked it over and then handed me a reciept with a reference number.

She told us that it would take up to 4 weeks max to sort. Then its all gone Pete Twong after that.

I have messaged IQuit and asked if he would kindly read this topic and give me some advice.

I showed them everything they asked me for.

Marriage cert

Passport

EAD

Filled out the form. Lady checked it over and then handed me a reciept with a reference number.

She told us that it would take up to 4 weeks max to sort. Then its all gone Pete Twong after that.

Without looking at the application and the immigration verification responses it's hard to know what is the problem. The verification process has three steps. An initial that they do while you are in the office. If that's no good they send a secondary electronic verification request. That takes normally no more than a week to send SSA a response. If the response is that immigration needs to see the document, a photo copy of the front and back of the immigration document is mailed to the verification office with Form G-845. It used to be that the SSA office had to wait for the G-845 to be mailed back, but now once immigration processes the G-845, the SSA office gets a third level electronic verification response. If the G-845 made it there and immigration responds, that should take a month at the most. The problem can be that the second and third level responses have to be pulled into the SSN application system by the SSA office and sometimes they don't do it right away. I would ask them at what level of the verification process they are at and have they received a response and does it require them going to the next step.

Your EAD is a LIST A document for work purposes and the I-9 form (google it!), which you will have to fill out once being hired. You can leave the number open until you know it but you should be able to get it within a week.

If the employer is using E-verify, the person needs an SSN.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Verification/E-Verify/E-Verify_Native_Documents/manual-employer_comp.pdf

Page 10

RULES AND RESPONSIBLITIES OVERVIEW

Employers participating in E-Verify MUST:

Obtain a Social Security number (SSN) from each newly hired employee on Form I-9.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/m-274.pdf

Page 3

NOTE: Providing a Social Security number on Form I-9 is voluntary for all employees unless you are an employer participating in the USCIS E-Verify program, which requires an employee’s Social Security number for employment eligibility verification.

Without looking at the application and the immigration verification responses it's hard to know what is the problem. The verification process has three steps. An initial that they do while you are in the office. If that's no good they send a secondary electronic verification request. That takes normally no more than a week to send SSA a response. If the response is that immigration needs to see the document, a photo copy of the front and back of the immigration document is mailed to the verification office with Form G-845. It used to be that the SSA office had to wait for the G-845 to be mailed back, but now once immigration processes the G-845, the SSA office gets a third level electronic verification response. If the G-845 made it there and immigration responds, that should take a month at the most. The problem can be that the second and third level responses have to be pulled into the SSN application system by the SSA office and sometimes they don't do it right away. I would ask them at what level of the verification process they are at and have they received a response and does it require them going to the next step.

When we spoke to the SS office a few days ago. We were told that they had contacted Immigration on the 24th August and that they had not heard back from them.

Im confused that it appears to have taken them from the 27th July until the 24th August to contact Immigration. Surely they jest?

But like you have said there are three steps, so maybe im on that final step.

Noted what you have said and will be going back this Thursday. Hopefully will get some answers.

appreciate your input IQuit. Thx very much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.