Alex TG

E1 need a lawyer?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Last year I did all the paperwork needed to obtain my E1 Visa, and I paid a lawyer. This year i will renovate it, I already know what papers to present, Do I need a lawyer again? i dont really want to keep investing in that process, and want to know if I can do it myself and directly.

Other question: I have the E1 Visa, can i apply with this visa for a Green Card in the future?

thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

From uscis.gov: "Qualified treaty traders and employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years. Requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to two years each. There is no maximum limit to the number of extensions an E-1 nonimmigrant may be granted. All E-1 nonimmigrants, however, must maintain an intention to depart the United States when their status expires or is terminated.

An E-1 nonimmigrant who travels abroad may generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States. It is generally not necessary to file a new Form I-129 with USCIS in this situation"

This link tells you how to re-apply, you do not need a lawyer.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I'm not sure if you can use this visa to apply for a green card but this link may help you figure that out.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=24b0a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=24b0a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

NOA2- January 24, 2011 (NOA1-NOA2: 154 days)

NVC Receive- January 31, 2011

NVC Sent- February 1, 2011

Consulate Receive- February 3, 2011

Consulate Sent Packet 3- March 10, 2011 (CDJ Receive-Packet 3 sent: 35 days)

Receive Packet 3 in U.S.- March 21, 2011

ASC Appointment- March 23, 2011

Interview- March 24, 2011

Crossed into the U.S.- April 7, 2011

A.O.S.

I-485 in the mail- June 14, 2011

I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox- June 16, 2011

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Other question:

I will hire a mexican professional in my company. Can I prepare for him all the paper work so he can apply for the E1? I mean, I already know what documents to present to the Consulate (invoices, statements, tax reports, organization charts, etc), but I dont whant to do it thorugh a lawer because the cost. My company is still small and dont want to invest in this issue.

I already know all the documents, all the forms (DS160 and DS156), and all the copies of the documentation that the employee has to present to the consulate.

I guess I can do it direclty as an US Company without a lawyer. I dont really know what does the lawer really do, I guess the lawyer only tell you what documents to present, the call to the embassy to make your appointment, and then you are on your own. Is that right?

Unless the lawer send any documents to the embassy or consulate before the appointment, but I guess not. I think all the documents are presented at the time of the appointment. Is right?

Thanks a lot

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I really don't know any specifics about the class E visas so you should go on the uscis website to answer your specific questions. Here is a link to bringing an employee to the US on temporary non-immigrant status. http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/E1en.pdf It appears that you contact DOL (dept. of labor) first and request permission and then go through a process of submitting the I-129 by mail. Here is a VJ guide for temporary workers: http://www.visajourney.com/content/temporary-worker-guide

People use lawyers for many reasons but the lawyers do not have any special access though their knowledge of the system will give them an advantage in difficult cases and they will be familiar with any possible shortcuts or loopholes. You can submit paperwork directly without a lawyer.

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

NOA2- January 24, 2011 (NOA1-NOA2: 154 days)

NVC Receive- January 31, 2011

NVC Sent- February 1, 2011

Consulate Receive- February 3, 2011

Consulate Sent Packet 3- March 10, 2011 (CDJ Receive-Packet 3 sent: 35 days)

Receive Packet 3 in U.S.- March 21, 2011

ASC Appointment- March 23, 2011

Interview- March 24, 2011

Crossed into the U.S.- April 7, 2011

A.O.S.

I-485 in the mail- June 14, 2011

I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox- June 16, 2011

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you thought of using the TN Visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Same goes for an E1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.