Vizcayana

let's talk about American Food

37 posts in this topic

All my life I grew up in the Philippines and I only know Filipino dishes.

Leaving my home means leaving some dishes and adjusting to a new life, new food, new culture and new friends.

I am a big fan of Korean, Japanese and Italian food and of course I am pro in terms of cooking Filipino dishes but none of these countries will be my new home but its America. People Im going to meet and brush elbows with are different races but with American taste.

Now, I am wondering what are these dishes that most Americans do love? Simple or complicated dish they usually serve on the table?

Share your recipes and/or ideas (F)

Food preference varies per person. You could ask by asking your fiance favorite meals. But still cook the food you like.

My hubby dont really eat rice before. He was an expat in the Philippines for several years and he never tried eating any filipino food.

Now, he prefers rice on all our meal.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Food preference varies per person. You could ask by asking your fiance favorite meals. But still cook the food you like.

My hubby dont really eat rice before. He was an expat in the Philippines for several years and he never tried eating any filipino food.

Now, he prefers rice on all our meal.

Retyping my response...

Food preference varies per person. You could start by asking your fiance favorite meals. Learn to cook those dishes. But, you should still continue cooking your favorite meal.

My hubby was an expat in the Philippines for several years. He never tried any filipino food.

Btw, i dont really cook before i got married. The internet becomes my most useful source of recipe.

And being a filipina, rice is a normal thing with me. I always incorporate rice in our meal.

Now, if you would ask him to choose between potatoes and rice for a side dish, he would get rice.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Anyway, if you miss filipino food just go to the chinese restaurant buffet.

:lol: Are you serious? :unsure:

We have been to a different Chinese Buffets/ Restaurants and I don't recall seeing any Filipino food/ recipe on their menu. :no:

I rarely miss Filipino food and when I do, I just cook it myself. :yes:

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Retyping my response...

Food preference varies per person. You could start by asking your fiance favorite meals. Learn to cook those dishes. But, you should still continue cooking your favorite meal.

My hubby was an expat in the Philippines for several years. He never tried any filipino food.

Btw, i dont really cook before i got married. The internet becomes my most useful source of recipe.

And being a filipina, rice is a normal thing with me. I always incorporate rice in our meal.

Now, if you would ask him to choose between potatoes and rice for a side dish, he would get rice.

:thumbs: thank you.

I actually started my husband what does he like and he said he will eat anything I cook for him.

My husband is not a good cook and so am I.

Me too, internet is one of the most useful source of info in terms of cooking, actually I started making mashed potato yesterday and i got the recipe from the internet, my family members didn't like it that much but when I told my hubby I cooked mashed potato for the first time, he was so happy and he cant wait to taste it when i get to US.

My hubby eats rice too but sometimes just bread..

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

how to make a Filipino meal: get some fried chicken from KFC or get some peel and eat shrimp from your local market, get a burrito without the meat from Chipotle. Take the chicken or shrimp, open the burrito, place the meat inside, and close it back up. or if a salad , add on top. You can also do this with a veggie sub from subway. Remember to leave the bones in. Another one is to get some garlic jasmine rice, take with you to a BBQ joint, then douse your rice with vsoka, and your BBQ with toyo.

still waiting for the food police....do they need directions??? Just tell them to go to saguiaro straight, then turn right... look for a BIG land mass... I wil be there....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

All my life I grew up in the Philippines and I only know Filipino dishes.

Leaving my home means leaving some dishes and adjusting to a new life, new food, new culture and new friends.

I am a big fan of Korean, Japanese and Italian food and of course I am pro in terms of cooking Filipino dishes but none of these countries will be my new home but its America. People Im going to meet and brush elbows with are different races but with American taste.

Now, I am wondering what are these dishes that most Americans do love? Simple or complicated dish they usually serve on the table?

Share your recipes and/or ideas (F)

Hi Matet, are you from Bagabag?

Most americans love to try new dishes and foreign cuisine, otherwise these Hibachi grills, Chinese buffet, Olive Garden, New Delhi restaurant (just to name a few) would have closed business long time ago. Simple or complicated? You're lucky your hubby likes everything you cook. You can make a fried tilapia simple and can also turn that same fried tilapia complicated by breading it first before frying (just to brown), then transfer it to a baking pan, add some capers,black whole olives, chopped tomatoes, onions and garlic, dash of pepper, some pinch of salt, an abundant dash of parsley and a good douche of EVOlive oil. 20 min into the oven on 400°F. And to make it more complicated, you can pour over it a sauce of your liking, like sauteed button mushrooms thickened with brown gravy or any green or red cheesy sauce of your own creation before serving. A simple fried tilapia can be appreciated also with gusto when you try to substitute the fresh tomatoes with green onions as side dish with fried onion rings and steamed greens plus bruschetta. Well, this is only a way to tell you that you can create your recipe like the chefs do. And you can americanize your Igado without your hubby noticing it. One poster says that american cuisine may be bland for our taste but I say that a real american will surely find Italian to be blander. If I'd to put up an Italian restaurant with real, authentic Italian dishes I'd go bancrupt the next day. Everything (speaking of dishes) here has been americanized and I can see lots of reason why.

Does your hubby like fish by the way? My hubby's knowledge of fish is limited to shrimp and octopus, and he recognizes his shrimp ONLY if it's done tempura style and his octopus Italian salad style. My daughter finds him to be a bore... and a clown as he doesn't like squid (being slimy). Are not squids cousins of octopuses? Well, if he doesn't like it I'll feed him anyways perhaps by creating a stuffed squid that looks like a squid but doesn't taste like squid. There are many veggies and meat my hubby do not like, but I do serve him anyway and many times he comes to love it. My father (when I refused to eat the malunggay and papaya with the tinola) used to tell me when I was a kid that this or that veggie is good for the eyes for the skin,bla, bla, bla. I use that trick too, it works!

Your hubby being american I bet love burgers. I can send you some samples of my own creation, totally different from the banal McDonald's, but you need to hit the gym the day after coz its packed of trillion calories. Just PM me if you're interested otherwise the web is rich with ideas, if you disagree with one ingredient (perhaps against your taste buds) you can substitute it with your own choosing.

I hope to have suggested an idea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.