Vizcayana

let's talk about American Food

37 posts in this topic

Give him anything but with bones. Not every American would understand how some Filipinos eat fish :rofl: , I love shelled shrimps and crabs and my husband's facial expression was priceless when he saw my steamed crabs :lol: He only recognize seafoods from Red Lobster :bonk:

September 2007-- Met Online (FilipinaHeart.com)
March 12,2009-- Married at Quezon City Hall of Justice
USCIS/NVC STAGE
May 8,2009-- I-130 Sent
August 17,2009-- I-130 Approved
August 26, 2009--case received at NVC
November 5,2009--CASE COMPLETED
USEM MANILA STAGE/ U.S. SOIL
November 17-18,2009--Medical PASSED
December 10, 2009--Interview @ 8:30AM A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D
January 25, 2010--FLIGHT(Manila-Japan-Detroit,MI-Buffalo,NY)
February 22,2010-- 2-yr GREEN CARD received
February 26, 2010--SSN received
REMOVING of CONDITIONS
December 22, 2011-- I-751 mailed
February 28, 2012-- Biometrics done

October 10, 2012-- 10-yr GREEN CARD received
NATURALIZATION
January 09, 2013-- sent N-400
January 28, 2013-- Biometrics

May 22, 2013-- Interview Passed- Officially a US Citizen!

you touched on one. the major problem is tastes. Get recipes from your husband. Learn his style and what he likes. Sloppy joe is meat plus sauce, the sauce is ketchup based, but from there varies. (easiest is a can of manwich sauce, or a jar of sloppy joe sauce) There are many different versions of the same meal. Meatloaf is one great example. Ground meat is the base, but the additives can change: crackers or oatmeal, eggs, onions, green pepper, salt, pepper, cinnamon, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, allspice, ketchup, BBQ sauce, cloves, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, fennel, cook in a pan with or without water, the styles can vastly vary.....................................

Just ask your hubby for recipes, or his sister, or his mom, or his aunts, or grandmothers, Be willing to try new things with him, but also have a backup plan in case the meal does not work well.

Thanks buddy, you just supplied me ample of information. The first thing I did was to save all these responses in my computer so I could check the easiest way of cooking them.

Its been so hard for me eating filipino food all the time as an American, I can't wait to make my wife eat American food all the time for a while so she gets the same feeling haha. Gets a little depressing after a while you miss your home foods

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

in talking to my fiance's brother. I was careful to praise his mom cooking and how well we ate at the house, versus put down the food in the city where I stayed. Just said there were not many places I liked. Also, wanted to expose my fiance to more food choices. The city was nice, but the other city is just as close, and convenient, plus it has a mall. Which gives me more shopping option with my fiance. Besides, if I check in locally near the airport, less driving. We can save an hour in drive time. and a lot of time in driving to the airport when time to leave, spend more time with my fiance. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Its been so hard for me eating filipino food all the time as an American, I can't wait to make my wife eat American food all the time for a while so she gets the same feeling haha. Gets a little depressing after a while you miss your home foods

:bonk: LOL!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Give him anything but with bones.

Bones were actually an important issue for us. For example, Filipinos chop their chicken up, breaking the bones into lots of pieces you have to be very careful about. Americans don't do that, so we are not accustomed to being extremely careful chewing.

I broke a tooth when she came here because I am so accustomed to putting big hunks of boneless meat in my mouth and chomping down hard. She doesn't do that any more.

Spaghetti does not have sugar in it. Write that down.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hehe, my spaghetti does.... and many other things..... I can it my "italian" base.... I probably just don't put as much as Filipinos do. But you AVE to sweeten it if you use garden grown tomatoes...... Easy trick get premade seasonings or rubs, and a pestle and mortar. Take the italian seasonings put in the pestle, then grind away... it releases the oils in the herbs, then add to your cooking... one of my favorite recipes is breaded dill chicken with new potatoes or texas skillet chili. the texas skillet chili is a good Filipino-American mix, Rice with beans, meat, chili powder, and Hot sauce, throw in a little red wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar for added flavor. :dance: :dance: :dance:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancée cooks nearly all the food for us and some is Filipino and some a cross between Filipino and "American". I usually cook at least one meal on the weekends that is kano food and here are the basics (I'm from the Northeast):

By the way, i always cook a lot because when i was living the bachelor life, I would cook once and eat the same thing all week to save time (and money).

Chili - She ate it once... I ate all the leftovers.

Spaghetti - She ate it fresh, I ate the rest

Beans and Franks - She ate it twice, I ate it 5 times

Lasagna - She ate it twice, I ate the rest

Steak and baked potato - She loved it, I loved it. no leftovers!

Beef Stew - She loves it, we both ate it the same. She said it was like Filipino food. I make mine with gravy, not the red sauce (potato, carrot, onion, peas)

When I am eating the leftovers, she eats rice and dried fish, sardines, canned mackerel or bagoong, none of which I have developed a taste for. She loves it and says she doesn't need anything else!

We bought a George Foreman grill and she has been marinating eggplant, squash/zucchini, onions, peppers and grilling them along with lean pork. It is heavenly!

Edited by Thunderstruck

I don't throw away prawn heads anymore. :no:

neither do I...

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

You will have to learn to trade rice for mashed potatoes or bread..

That's the key difference to me. :thumbs:

don't count on it... :lol:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.