kirby808

questions for proving a couple for AOS

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey, I haven't gotten married yet but I was wondering based on my circumstances about the AOS. I know it says that you need joint things to prove that you are married and are doing things together. So here is my situation.

I live at home with my parents my fiance would live there as well, I don't pay rent or have bills, is that going to be a problem when I need to provide things with both our names on? As for the phone bill, could I get her a phone plan and just have our names on that account so that I don't have to give up the phone plan I'm on now?

Any advice?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What about a joint bank account? Your bank statement would both names on the account. Or what about car insurance or registration? Or a credit card account? A letter from your parents stating you are married and living together would suffice too.

02iqn7wnr.png

We live with his parents too..

What you can have:

Wedding photos

Joint bank account

Phone bill

Include her in your health and car insurance

Notarized statement from your parents that you live with them so they are witnesses to your relationship

That should be okay, plus make sure you know stuff about each other :)

You'll be fine and don't worry too far ahead, coz you never know, you might not even need an interview!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will get a joint bank account and she will be covered under my medical insurance after we get married. I don't know about the car insurance because I don't pay for that. I will get a phone bill for her though so I will have that, and my parents were saying they could put a utility bill under my name as well. For wedding photos, is having a marriage in front of a judge the same, like with the photos. I mean we won't be dressed in the normal wedding attire but its still a marriage picture right?

What kind of things would they ask that we know about each other? Would it be like basic things, favorite color or things about the family her birthday things like that?

Edited by kirby808

I will get a joint bank account and she will be covered under my medical insurance after we get married. I don't know about the car insurance because I don't pay for that. I will get a phone bill for her though so I will have that, and my parents were saying they could put a utility bill under my name as well. For wedding photos, is having a marriage in front of a judge the same, like with the photos. I mean we won't be dressed in the normal wedding attire but its still a marriage picture right?

What kind of things would they ask that we know about each other? Would it be like basic things, favorite color or things about the family her birthday things like that?

Yup that kind of wedding would be fine :)

Basically whatever you can think of to prove your marriage just bring it. The stuff you mentioned are fine.

Ultimately you will be judged by how you act as a couple and I can't say for sure what the questions will be but I assume its stuff like when is his bday, what side of bed does he sleep on, how many siblings does she have.. really simple things..

This wont be as hard as the k1 process don't worry. :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Ok thanks. Oh another thing how long do you have to file the AOS after marriage? Does it have to be within the 3 months of the fiancé visa?

Nope. You just need to be married within 90 days.. There's no deadline to file for AOS but of course the sooner you can file the better so that she won'r remain out-of-status for long. In my case we got married a month after POE so we had that month to prepare all the AOS documents and we were able to send it right away after we got married.. :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

when you file the I-485, you really do not need joint evidence. what you are doing is showing that you have married within the 90 day period, so your now spouse can change status from nonimmigrant to immigrant. If you should have an interview, you can bring any joint evidence you may have since you filed for AOS. it's best to file for AOS as soon as you can, since you wife will be out of status when the I-94 expires. do not wait to file for AOS just to aquire joint evidence, where you will need joint evidence is when you file to remove conditions (I-751) in two years.

Edited by sunandmoon

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Her fiancée visa is dead. She used it when she entered the U.S. Your fiancée was issued an I-94 in her passport at her POE. The I-94 expires 90 days from the day she entered the U.S.

After 90 days, she will be out-of-status unless you file to adjust her status. If she is out-of-status, don't drive around anywhere near the border with Mexico. If you are stopped at a checkpoint, you'll be wishing you had filed her AOS in a timely manner. :o

I don't know what happens if she is out-of-status for more than six month. However, I'm pretty sure it's not pleasant.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.