Matt_Stevens

Any Westerners living in Saigon right now?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

what up with ps3 anyway, is there anythings a ps3 can do that a gaming pc can not do? may be i should drive up to my lilbrother's apartment and borrow his ps3 and see for my self .

If you like first person shooter games or any multi player games the PS3 is much better, they are designed to play games with good video and on a bigger screen with better resolution. I prefer first person shooters with online play, I dont usually play missions, just like going into battles with online friends.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Timeline

That is what I thought and mine came from Japan but my DVD movies I brought from the US both the original and copies would not play due to a region error, but all of the dvd's from the local stores played no problem

Ahhhh... Blu-Rays are fine. DVD's are not. Japanese are Region 2 or 3, I forget which. Blu-Ray doesn't have all the regions that DVD has. Just A, B and C. Asia and America are A, Europe is B.

PS3 will be for streaming content fro my computer to the TV and Blu-Rays. I'll get a region free DVD player for regular DVD content.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Oh yes! My computer will be taken apart and I will bring it in pices with me via my carryon bag and then reassemble in Vietnam. But... I wonder about POWER. We are 120V over here and it is 220V in Vietnam. This is my current power supply:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016Input Voltage is listed as 100 - 240 VInput Frequency Range as 47 - 63 HzInput Current as 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230VOutput as +3.3V@28A, +5V@26A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.5AI know jack about power. The question is, can I use this same power supply? It's a damn fine one. Obviously I don't want to use this and then fry my motherboard or buy one in Saigon that fries my motherboard. No doubt I will need one very robust BATTERY BACKUP and SURGE PROTECTION unit. Saigon always had brownouts and surges when I've visited and those can be deadly for a computer. I'm rambling. Thanks, everybody.

I'd recommend a surge protector bought online from France, they use the same power specs and plug type as in Vietnam. I've bought power strips from APC store, they sent a follow-up email and I confirmed my selection. They had to adjust the price a bit for the special order. You can buy the 3 circle prong power cord in Vietnam for super cheap (2 prong + one round hole), you need to buy one for your power supply and one for the monitor.

Also I'd recommend grounding your gear. Connect any small wire from grounding slot of your power-strip's power cord, and plug it into the Earth. Like a potted plant will work but best to drive a nail into the dirt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'd recommend a surge protector bought online from France, they use the same power specs and plug type as in Vietnam. I've bought power strips from APC store, they sent a follow-up email and I confirmed my selection. They had to adjust the price a bit for the special order. You can buy the 3 circle prong power cord in Vietnam for super cheap (2 prong + one round hole), you need to buy one for your power supply and one for the monitor.

Also I'd recommend grounding your gear. Connect any small wire from grounding slot of your power-strip's power cord, and plug it into the Earth. Like a potted plant will work but best to drive a nail into the dirt.

Water pipes make a great ground. You can buy straps in most US hardware stores that are specifically designed to go around a water pipe and provide a ground point.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.