rama_c

Name change of fiance(e) after getting married in US

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee is now in the US. We got married 2 days ago.

She would like to change her last name to be the same as mine.

We went to the local Social Security office to apply for her SSN.

We asked that her new last name appear on the card. We took

our marriage certificate along.

But the guy at the counter said that my wife can't just change her

name. She would first have to inform USCIS about the change.

He allowed her to apply with her current name and so she did.

Does anyone have some experience regarding changing names

for their fiance(e)s ? Can we ask for the name change while

applying for her Green Card ?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope never heard of that. I got my SSN, got married, went to SSN to change it, got my new card with my new name.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations on your wedding.... when you file for AOS make sure you file with your married name.... when you get EAD you can then go and get your SSN changed to your married name... to change name with the banks I just showed them a copy of our marriage certificate....

Kezzie

Timeline
Congratulations on your wedding.... when you file for AOS make sure you file with your married name.... when you get EAD you can then go and get your SSN changed to your married name... to change name with the banks I just showed them a copy of our marriage certificate....

Kezzie

Hi Kezzie,

Thanks for your response. I noticed in your timeline that you filed I-130 along with your

I485. Why did you have to file the I-130 ? (I filed a I-129F for my then fiancee to bring

her to the US )

Thanks

Siva

After you wife get her SSN card, go back to SSA office and apply for a name change. Bring your marriage certificate. I’ve done that and was able to have my SSN in my married name.

Simonne

K1 - approved - 02/15/06

***MARRIED**** 07/13/2006

AOS - approved - 11/22/2006

Removing conditions

Sent- VT- 10/20/2008

Timeline
After you wife get her SSN card, go back to SSA office and apply for a name change. Bring your marriage certificate. I’ve done that and was able to have my SSN in my married name.

Simonne

Thanks for the response.

Based on Kezzie's timeline, looks like it is not necessary to have an SSN in hand before applying

for I485 . Is that right ?

Thanks

Siva

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Question:

If you are a USC and married to a NON-USC and you wish to change your name to his name... Does the USC has to let the USCIS know or not????

K-1 Journey....

05/15/2006 - Sent to TSC (Day 1)

05/30/2006 - NOA 1

07/21/2006 - NOA 2

08/23/2006 - INTERVIEW SUCCESSFUL!! (Day 99)[/b]

08/24/2006 - Visa Issued......08/30/2006 --- Visa in HAND !!!

09/02/2006 - REUNITED

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/07/2006 - Married

09/07/2006 - Applied for SSN

09/13/2006 - Picked-up Marriage Certificate's from the COURTHOUSE

09/13/2006 - Vaccinations DONE !!!

09/21/2006 - SSN received

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/21/2006 - Mailed out I-485 Package to Chicago.

10/02/2006 - NOA recevied

10/06/2006 - Letter Received for Biometrics

10/10/2006 - Biometric's Done !!! Appointment for Biometric's originally was on 10/14/2006

10/23/2006 - Case Transfered to CSC

10/27/2006 - Case received at CSC

11/09/2006 - E-mail recevied from CRIS saying AOS Approved and welcome notice mailed.

11/14/2006 - An approval letter mailed.

11/15/2006 - Green Card Received !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2008 - Mailed out I-751 Package to Nebreska. (mail fwd to Cali)

8/21/2008 - Package delivered.

8/25/2008 - Check Cashed/Cleared.

8/29/2008 - NOA Received.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Question:

If you are a USC and married to a NON-USC and you wish to change your name to his name... Does the USC has to let the USCIS know or not????

To answer your question, No you don't have to tell USCIS.

I am the U.S citizen(female) and married a non-USC. When we got married, i just showed SSN office my Marraige certificate and i got my name changed to my non-us citizen's last name. Don't need to tell USCIS. I used my new last name on the AOS form.

love conquers all things

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thank you !!!! :)

K-1 Journey....

05/15/2006 - Sent to TSC (Day 1)

05/30/2006 - NOA 1

07/21/2006 - NOA 2

08/23/2006 - INTERVIEW SUCCESSFUL!! (Day 99)[/b]

08/24/2006 - Visa Issued......08/30/2006 --- Visa in HAND !!!

09/02/2006 - REUNITED

09/07/2006 - Married

09/07/2006 - Applied for SSN

09/13/2006 - Picked-up Marriage Certificate's from the COURTHOUSE

09/13/2006 - Vaccinations DONE !!!

09/21/2006 - SSN received

09/21/2006 - Mailed out I-485 Package to Chicago.

10/02/2006 - NOA recevied

10/06/2006 - Letter Received for Biometrics

10/10/2006 - Biometric's Done !!! Appointment for Biometric's originally was on 10/14/2006

10/23/2006 - Case Transfered to CSC

10/27/2006 - Case received at CSC

11/09/2006 - E-mail recevied from CRIS saying AOS Approved and welcome notice mailed.

11/14/2006 - An approval letter mailed.

11/15/2006 - Green Card Received !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2008 - Mailed out I-751 Package to Nebreska. (mail fwd to Cali)

8/21/2008 - Package delivered.

8/25/2008 - Check Cashed/Cleared.

8/29/2008 - NOA Received.

Filed: Timeline
Hi,

My fiancee is now in the US. We got married 2 days ago.

She would like to change her last name to be the same as mine.

We went to the local Social Security office to apply for her SSN.

We asked that her new last name appear on the card. We took

our marriage certificate along.

But the guy at the counter said that my wife can't just change her

name. She would first have to inform USCIS about the change.

He allowed her to apply with her current name and so she did.

Does anyone have some experience regarding changing names

for their fiance(e)s ? Can we ask for the name change while

applying for her Green Card ?

Wrong Wrong Wrong!!! At which SSA office does this bonehead work? As long as the I-94 is not expired or within 14 days of expiring and the marriage certificate has her age or date of birth it can be done.

The applicant may submit either:

-- One legal name change document showing both the old and new names

(e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document). The

document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of

the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with

the Numident data; or

-- When the name change document does not show either a photograph of

the person or biographical information that can be compared with the

Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the

applicant must also submit two acceptable identity documents. One

of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name

on the latest SSN record) AND the other submitted identity

document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the

corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show

either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical

information that can be compared with the Numident (SSN record)

data.

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband’s last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner’s first names, the bride’s prior surname and husband’s surname.

Note: For a marriage document or marriage record to be acceptable as an identity document it must show, in addition to the applicant’s name, either the applicant’s age, date of birth or parents’ names and the marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets this standard.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

E. Procedure — Online SAVE Query Response Information Does Not Agree with Immigration Document

1. Name

e. Applicant Has Changed His/Her Name but SAVE Query Response Shows Old Name

In some cases, the applicant may have changed his/her name after DHS issued the immigration document (e.g., he/she has married and is now using the spouse's last name) but does not present an immigration document showing the new name. In these cases, the DHS system reflects the new name only when the person provided the name change information to DHS and requested to have his/her immigration record changed to show the new name. When the SAVE query response shows the old name that is shown on the immigration document presented and not the new name on the identity document presented, do not consider this a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes. See RM 00203.200 when the applicant presents an identity document in the new name that is more recent than the immigration document to determine if the identity document is acceptable. Tell the applicant he/she must report the name change to DHS so that DHS can update its records.

NOTE FROM ME: It says that you must report the change, not that the application can't be processed.

Timeline

Kezzie

Hi Kezzie,

I'm filling the I-485 application for my wife. Should I put her new last name in Part I of the form

or write a separate letter asking that the name be changed ?

Thanks

Siva

Timeline

Hi mdyoung,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I hope it is useful to others in a similar

situation.

At this point, we will wait till my wife gets her SSN card and then go back

to apply for a name change.

-Siva

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.