chyme

filing i-751 without attorney

7 posts in this topic

Hi! my husband and i filed my petition for residency thru an attorney since we weren't sure that time and all that. now its time for me to file i-751 to remove my conditions. initially, we paid our atty $3000 for his professional fee and i remember him telling is its all the way. so now that we gave him our forms he suddenly sent us a bill with a new $500 prof fee for filing my forms. we cant afford it and we were surprised why he's charging us now to file my forms when we thought it was all included before and we thought all the way means till im a complete resident without conditions anymore. but he said he didnt add the fee before due to some cases where the couple didnt file for removal anymore due to divorce etc.

we were wondering if it would be safe if we just submitted the forms ourselves? we have a copy of the forms and our evidences. don't we just mail it to USCIS and its good already? or do we really need our attorney to mail the forms for us and pay him $500 for doing so?

our evidences include: life/health/401k/dental insurances where my husband and stepson are my beneficiary, a joint car insurance, a joint credit card, a joint ownership of a car, 2009 and 2010 joint filed taxes. would this be enough?

please give us an advice on what we should do.

My Naturalization Journey so far....

08/23/12 Day 1 - Sent N-400 packet via USPS Priority Mail from UT

08/25/12 Day 3 - Delivered to Phoenix lockbox

08/28/12 Day 6 - Acceptance date (based on Case Status)

08/29/12 Day 7 - Received text and email on Acceptance Confirmation

08/29/12 Day 7 - Case Status marked as Initial Review

08/30/12 Day 8 - Check cashed

00/30/12 Day 8 - Received Acceptance letter by mail

09/04/12 Day 13 - Appointment Notice for FP mailed

09/06/12 Day 15 - Received Appointment Notice by mail

09/18/12 Day 27 - Biometrics appointment at 2PM in SLC,UT

09/20/12 Day 29 - Case Status marked as Testing and Interview. Application placed in line for interview scheduling.

10/29/12 Day 68 - Case Status marked as scheduled for interview

11/02/12 Day 72 - Interview letter received by mail

12/05/12 Day 105 - Interview Date

00/00/00 Day 0 - Oath Ceremony ????

hi chyme!! in my opinion, it sounds like you have everything you need and i wouldnt go with an attorney!! there is no extra benefit for an attorney at this point except for the convenience of someone dotting your I's and crossing your T's.

spend a few minutes on the website and you'll get all the help you need -maybe send in few photos and and affidavit!! but it sounds like you are set - I-751 form/check for $590/evidence and send to USCIS !

good luck to you and yours!

Hi chyme,

I filed everything on my own. You can do it on your own, just make sure you have all the proofs and plus make a neat cover page. Also include properly filled out form. If any question doesn't concern you don't leave it blank write none or not applicable. It is a very easy simple application. If you are not sure about anything call the 1800# they are really helpful. This is what I did and I got approved. Good luck and I hope my reply will help you.

It seems like you have everything you need. In my oipinion, you can do it yourself.I suggest that people use attorneys only when they have complex situations. Have a great week.

Hi! my husband and i filed my petition for residency thru an attorney since we weren't sure that time and all that. now its time for me to file i-751 to remove my conditions. initially, we paid our atty $3000 for his professional fee and i remember him telling is its all the way. so now that we gave him our forms he suddenly sent us a bill with a new $500 prof fee for filing my forms. we cant afford it and we were surprised why he's charging us now to file my forms when we thought it was all included before and we thought all the way means till im a complete resident without conditions anymore. but he said he didnt add the fee before due to some cases where the couple didnt file for removal anymore due to divorce etc.

we were wondering if it would be safe if we just submitted the forms ourselves? we have a copy of the forms and our evidences. don't we just mail it to USCIS and its good already? or do we really need our attorney to mail the forms for us and pay him $500 for doing so?

our evidences include: life/health/401k/dental insurances where my husband and stepson are my beneficiary, a joint car insurance, a joint credit card, a joint ownership of a car, 2009 and 2010 joint filed taxes. would this be enough?

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

I did ALL forms (excepting initial visa application) on my own. This includes two AOS for me and my daughter, then two separate I-751. For myself and her. You can do it on your own, the key here is to carefully read every word in instruction, and to ask questions if something is questionable. As I know, many people do it themselves, it is an easy form. Good Luck!

As suggested in a previous post, some pictures printed on paper, it makes it easier for the reviewer to flip through. Maybe 2 affidavits. I scanned a copy of both our driver's licenses showing the same address and also our marriage certificate. You have very strong financial evidence which I've read is the proof with the most weight. I wouldn't think you'd need a lawyer at all.

I sent my package express and copied my husband's A# on each piece of paper but that isn't absolutely necessary. I just did that in case the papers were misplaced as a courtesy. Be sure to keep a copy of your entire package for your records as well.

A cover letter and all the papers in the correct order and you should be a-ok.

USC

11/10/2007 married

12/17/2007 I-130 1-485 submitted

9/4/2008 AOS interview

1/29/2009 GC

12/15/2010 I-751 sent

5/7/2011 ROC approved

5/11/2011 email stating card production ordered

5/13/2011 approval letter received in mail

5/13/2011 GC sent to wrong address due to system error

5/16/2011 service request opened

5/16/2011 usps tracking number shows card undeliverable

6/13/2011 GC returned to VSC

6/15/2011 case status update shows card was mailed out to correct address

6/17/2011 GC received in mail

• 7 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.