hamtaro

I'm still confused, just got visa in the post

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Can anyone tell me why they are saying I get 1 year's conditional residence.... I thought I got 2? It says on the US government sites I get 2 if married to USC in past 2 years. Also will I be able to work before I get my green card... it says it takes 6 months to apply for? I'm not going to have to go through all this nightmarish process again am I? :( Anyway I'm probably panicking because the visa was sent to a relative because my address is junk and the source of a lot of missing mail. They read the letter out to me on the phone and ay there's 1 year conditional permanent residence... that's rubbish! I thought I could put my feet up for a bit (and maybe get therapy as this process has sent me half nuts.)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Can anyone tell me why they are saying I get 1 year's conditional residence.... I thought I got 2? It says on the US government sites I get 2 if married to USC in past 2 years. Also will I be able to work before I get my green card... it says it takes 6 months to apply for? I'm not going to have to go through all this nightmarish process again am I? :( Anyway I'm probably panicking because the visa was sent to a relative because my address is junk and the source of a lot of missing mail. They read the letter out to me on the phone and ay there's 1 year conditional permanent residence... that's rubbish! I thought I could put my feet up for a bit (and maybe get therapy as this process has sent me half nuts.)

Probably a misunderstanding. Why not just read it for yourself when you get it. No such thing as one-year conditional status and you will not apply for a green card if this is a CR1 visa. Your US entry will trigger your conditional status and the card will be produced and mailed to the address you gave on your DS230, usually within a month of you US entry.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Probably a misunderstanding. Why not just read it for yourself when you get it. No such thing as one-year conditional status and you will not apply for a green card if this is a CR1 visa. Your US entry will trigger your conditional status and the card will be produced and mailed to the address you gave on your DS230, usually within a month of you US entry.

Well I got a letter saying I had 1 year conditional status and telling me how to apply for the green card which it says takes 6 months. I'm really confused, asked them to read letter out twice and that is what it says, now I'm hugely worried I accidentally was issued the wrong visa.

Timeline

I was sent the wrong visa wasn't I D:

Perhaps, but I'm not aware of a visa that grants one year conditional status. If you've got permanent resident status, you don't apply for a green card. Something is being taken out of context here. When you have the package in front of you and are still confused, then post the actual wording, in context, of what you are reading.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you are applying for CR1 visa then it sounds like you got a wrong letter or something.

Have you done your interview with CO yet?

Once you do your interview at consulate, they will stamp a visa in your passport which will be valid for 1 yr from the day u enter US, officer at border would stamp it to make it active.

Officer in immigration would take away the envelope you would get from consulate and that would start your GC request - you dont have to do anything.

They will send you the GC in few weeks, you can work after you get SSN number not just GC. You can try to see if SSN office would just accept your stamped visa or they would want actual GC.

Timeline

If you are applying for CR1 visa then it sounds like you got a wrong letter or something.

Have you done your interview with CO yet?

Once you do your interview at consulate, they will stamp a visa in your passport which will be valid for 1 yr from the day u enter US, officer at border would stamp it to make it active.

Officer in immigration would take away the envelope you would get from consulate and that would start your GC request - you dont have to do anything.

They will send you the GC in few weeks, you can work after you get SSN number not just GC. You can try to see if SSN office would just accept your stamped visa or they would want actual GC.

This is close. What happens is the visa is actually affixed to a passport page. The visa is good for only six months and for one entry. Upon entry the visa will get an endorsement stamp that serves as a temporary green card for on year. The six months is how long they are saying the Green Card "MIGHT" take to arrive but you don't "apply for it". It just gets produced and mailed, usually within a month.

I think when the OP finally sees the correspondence and reads it IN CONTEXT, they'll find it says what I wrote in the paragraph above.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.