Kristymceneaney

Removing Conditions before military

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

He does not have to remove the condition, he can join the armed forces and when his 2 yrs are up is when he will remove his condition.

The only other available option for him would be - he could be eligible for getting his citizenship based on his service with armed forces.

For someone married to USC, I dont think there is much of time difference either way they get their citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It shouldn't be a problem. My hubby just left for Army Basic, even tho his green card has already expired and all we have is the extension letter. I was worried about it, especially since he wouldn't ahve it by the time he left, but they just said that I should bring it with me to his graduation once I have it.

Also, at MEPS they were also very helpful about the citizenship process. Since Sept 11, its considered a time of conflict (or something like that - I forget the exact phrase) so anyone who has served even one day in the military is eligible for citizenship! Once I found this out, we filled out all his paperwork for the citizenship application right away; there's the application itself, plus two other forms that the miltiary has to fill out. There's also no fee!! They must be quite used to doing this for non-citizens, because the sergeant at MEPS asked DH if he had all the citizenship paperwork with him and that he could turn them in once he got to Basic. It would be great to get that all done right away; tho if your husband can get in before his green card has to be renewed, then you can save yourself the $500+ fee!!

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.