Don shikari

F-1 Student marrying U.S citizen

35 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR SCHOLARSHIP IF YOU MARRY? Will you be able to afford the tuition for school if your scholarship is revoked. Make sure you check into all aspect of your school finance situation before you make a decision you may regret.

My scholoship shouldnt be effected, my coach new of this whilst he was recuiting me, if something did happen with it because of marrige, the change in fees (outofstate to instate)would make it possible for me to attend. Thanks for the advice.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In that case, you

1) get married

2) assemble the package for filing I-130 and I-485 concurrently (including the financial affidavit form - no way around that)

3) submit the package

From that, it will usually take 60-90 days to get the EAD which will allow you to start working more, and 4-6 months for the interview in which your application will be approved or denied. If approved, you become a greencard holder, and can work as you please, as much as you want, where you want. Start reading the guide for submitting I-130 and I-485 concurrently here on VJ, it will give you pretty much all the information and details you need about the process - and if everything is unclear, just ask a question here and plenty of people will be able to help!

me and my girlfriend will sit down tonigh and discuss our options, and them with her parents. i am much more educated now after everyones help. Asuming katies parents can reach that mark for a sponser i think a court wedding is the right thing to do, enabling us to save for a propper ceromony after we graduate. this is a great website. Thanks

** OK - several duplicate/parallel topics started by the OP have been merged into this single thread. Things will appear out of sync because of this. Starting multiple topics and/or across multiple forums is not recommended.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You can arrange a formal wedding. It saves a lot of time, money, and quite easy to prepare. You must bring witnesses (not biologically related, like maybe your parent's friends, or some close friends preferably 21 or older), and take as much pictures are possible during the wedding ceremony. You can have a more fitting wedding later on, maybe after you get your undergraduate degree or when you guys are more financially stable. I'm not sure what it's like in your state, but we got married in Nevada. Good luck!

I know how your situation is. I've gone through almost the same thing, but my wife works full-time so we didn't need a sponsor, and at a really young age (we married when I turned 18, she's 19 at the time).

where does it say that the witnesses must not be biologically related? My witness was my brother.

It doesn't. Unless some specific state has a requirement that the witness is not biologically related to the couple.. But I've never heard of such requirement.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.