Moyo

Lawyer for CR1?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Others have been denied and they had no problems getting their relationship visa--just tell the truth!! Lie and it wont be a simple denial, could be a BAN, then ur in a huge mess!! NEVER LIE!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

If she can visit you for long periods of time, then go for it. Assuming you can prove domicile. So if she has rent/mortgage, utility bills, etc. The people at the consulate won't have any knowledge of her trips to Canada anyway. HOWEVER it sounds like you need to talk to other Canadians whose US spouses were unemployed at the time of the visa interview. Find out what evidence they had of domicile, and if it was accepted. It may be that she should be looking for a job for the sole purpose of proving domicile, I don't know.

Timeline

If she can visit you for long periods of time, then go for it. Assuming you can prove domicile. So if she has rent/mortgage, utility bills, etc. The people at the consulate won't have any knowledge of her trips to Canada anyway. HOWEVER it sounds like you need to talk to other Canadians whose US spouses were unemployed at the time of the visa interview. Find out what evidence they had of domicile, and if it was accepted. It may be that she should be looking for a job for the sole purpose of proving domicile, I don't know.

Thats good advice. Thank you all for your answers. I will start collecting more evidence on proving domicile. If she doesnt own a house and cant get employment in here field (as the job rate is wonderful in America!) then it could prove tricky. We will just have to try with other things.

Timeline

Hey there! I am the USC and am unemployed and my parents are co-sponsors.......... and I visit my hubby 3months at a time. then spend 3months at home. I've never had a problem at the border and haven't been refused entry, I just tell the truth visiting my hubby and I have all the I-130's and paperwork with me to show if they want. I also live with my parents, and I don't have anything in my name, I have a cell phone printed that stuff out, and I'm on my dad's car insurance. As for the interivew I happened to be visiting my hubby when we found out he got the interview for last week. Everyone at the consulate was really nice, and the first person we saw who didn't conduct the interview but was taking our paperwork and asking questions asked me if I work, and I told him no, asked where I used to work and I told him of the 2 jobs I've ever had, he had all my past taxes infront of him for 07,08,09. ( if he was gonna keep asking questions I had printouts from my email of jobs I had applied too, because I am looking for a job) he asked me if I live in US and I told him yes I am just visiting my hubby right now. Then he asked me about my parents and where they work and I told him, then he asked if I had a recent tax return thingy for 2010 and I gave it to him and thats all. then the lady who conducted the interview was super nice and she didn't ask me about work or anything.

I agree with what everyone is saying though, because everyones case is diffnt, and you just never know who will get aksed what. But I'm sure you could just visit, just break up the times don't do one big chunk, I would go feb-may (just got bck) stay home for 3months, then i would go sep-nov (sept is our anniversary month, don't wanna miss that!! lol.

Good luck!!! :star: don't worry it will all be fine =)

Edited by Minted7

2009 Sept 26: We were married in Turlock, California =D

USCIS

2010 Apr 29: Filed I-130

2010 May 12: I-130 recieved

2010 May 13: Check cashed

2010 May 12: NOA1

2010 Jun 8: Touched

2010 Jun 9: Touched ...again???

2010 Oct 26: Touched !! (after calling USCIS, and congressman 3 days earlier)

2010 Nov 1: RFE (G-325A & Photos)

2010 Nov 9: Touched

2010 Nov 10: Touched

2010 Nov 16: Touched

2010 Nov 17: Touched ... again.

2010 NOV 22: NOA2 =)

NVC

11/xx/10: NVC Assigns a Case#

11/30/10: Called NVC provided emails/ got case# & IIN #

11/30/10: hubby emailed DS3032

11/30/10: paid AOS fee

12/01/10: AOS status paid

12/06/10: hubby emailed DS3032 again..got a confirmation same day!

12/06/10: IV bill invoiced

12/07/10: DS-3032 (Choice of agent) accepted

12/10/10: mailed AOS packet!

12/15/10: pay IV bill

01/10/11: hubby mailed IV packet

02/01/11: checklist from NVC hubby has to fill out EP for montreal!

02/06/11: hubby completed and submitted EP application.

03/10/11: SIF/ case complete=)

04/12/11: Medical completed!

04/20/11: Picked up medical...passed =)

05/03/11: Interview Scheduled @ 8AM!!! =)

05/03/11: APPROVED YAY! =)

05/09/11: Visa in hand! =)

07/02/11: POE =)=)

event.png

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Timeline

Hey there! I am the USC and am unemployed and my parents are co-sponsors.......... and I visit my hubby 3months at a time. then spend 3months at home. I've never had a problem at the border and haven't been refused entry, I just tell the truth visiting my hubby and I have all the I-130's and paperwork with me to show if they want. I also live with my parents, and I don't have anything in my name, I have a cell phone printed that stuff out, and I'm on my dad's car insurance. As for the interivew I happened to be visiting my hubby when we found out he got the interview for last week. Everyone at the consulate was really nice, and the first person we saw who didn't conduct the interview but was taking our paperwork and asking questions asked me if I work, and I told him no, asked where I used to work and I told him of the 2 jobs I've ever had, he had all my past taxes infront of him for 07,08,09. ( if he was gonna keep asking questions I had printouts from my email of jobs I had applied too, because I am looking for a job) he asked me if I live in US and I told him yes I am just visiting my hubby right now. Then he asked me about my parents and where they work and I told him, then he asked if I had a recent tax return thingy for 2010 and I gave it to him and thats all. then the lady who conducted the interview was super nice and she didn't ask me about work or anything.

I agree with what everyone is saying though, because everyones case is diffnt, and you just never know who will get aksed what. But I'm sure you could just visit, just break up the times don't do one big chunk, I would go feb-may (just got bck) stay home for 3months, then i would go sep-nov (sept is our anniversary month, don't wanna miss that!! lol.

Good luck!!! :star: don't worry it will all be fine =)

Thanks so much Minted! Thats more of what we have been experiencing. I know that it depends on what agents you get but I have had some that were in a really bad mood and still got through the border. Fingers crossed while we go through this process!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

But the next time I cross I will be using my K-1 so no more hassle from them!

Um, sorry to burst your bubble, but they will find something else to hassle you about. It's all part of the joyful process of immigration. :wacko:

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

lol, 99% of people have no problems crossing the border when they "activate" the visa, but one does run into POE officers that have no clue! Mine had never seen a CR-1 before, but they figured it out!! Sometimes it just takes some patience!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Um, sorry to burst your bubble, but they will find something else to hassle you about. It's all part of the joyful process of immigration. :wacko:

Yes well I have everything in order and I actually HAVE the visa in hand now so I'm not terrified of being turned away and sent back home.

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Timeline

Yes well I have everything in order and I actually HAVE the visa in hand now so I'm not terrified of being turned away and sent back home.

You're right! That is a great feeling! Enjoy activating your visa.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/22/12 - Biometrics

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow I sense some sarcasm there.

Of course I'm happy I have my visa and looking forward to seeing my fiance, as I'm sure you were as well.

Its nice to know that I went through all the proper channels and that my patience has paid off and that I have done everything legally!

What I'm not looking forward to is saying goodbye to my family, going through Pearson airport and the long flight.

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Timeline

Of course I'm happy I have my visa and looking forward to seeing my fiance, as I'm sure you were as well.

Its nice to know that I went through all the proper channels and that my patience has paid off and that I have done everything legally!

What I'm not looking forward to is saying goodbye to my family, going through Pearson airport and the long flight.

You're going to go through Pearson......thats where my hubby will go too, how come you don't look forward to it? What have you heard about them? So far so good for us no problems with Pearson. ohh and my hubby picked up his visa today! yay! =)

2009 Sept 26: We were married in Turlock, California =D

USCIS

2010 Apr 29: Filed I-130

2010 May 12: I-130 recieved

2010 May 13: Check cashed

2010 May 12: NOA1

2010 Jun 8: Touched

2010 Jun 9: Touched ...again???

2010 Oct 26: Touched !! (after calling USCIS, and congressman 3 days earlier)

2010 Nov 1: RFE (G-325A & Photos)

2010 Nov 9: Touched

2010 Nov 10: Touched

2010 Nov 16: Touched

2010 Nov 17: Touched ... again.

2010 NOV 22: NOA2 =)

NVC

11/xx/10: NVC Assigns a Case#

11/30/10: Called NVC provided emails/ got case# & IIN #

11/30/10: hubby emailed DS3032

11/30/10: paid AOS fee

12/01/10: AOS status paid

12/06/10: hubby emailed DS3032 again..got a confirmation same day!

12/06/10: IV bill invoiced

12/07/10: DS-3032 (Choice of agent) accepted

12/10/10: mailed AOS packet!

12/15/10: pay IV bill

01/10/11: hubby mailed IV packet

02/01/11: checklist from NVC hubby has to fill out EP for montreal!

02/06/11: hubby completed and submitted EP application.

03/10/11: SIF/ case complete=)

04/12/11: Medical completed!

04/20/11: Picked up medical...passed =)

05/03/11: Interview Scheduled @ 8AM!!! =)

05/03/11: APPROVED YAY! =)

05/09/11: Visa in hand! =)

07/02/11: POE =)=)

event.png

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Filed: Timeline

Saying goodbye to my family was the saddest day of my life. :cry: Coming to VJ to talk with those who understood that, though, helped me out a lot. Don't forget we're here for you. (F)

iagree.gif

Timeline

Oh geez. I'm sorry if that came across as sarcasm. I didn't mean it that way at all. Definitely feels good to know you're doing it the right way and that when you get to the border everything is in order!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/22/12 - Biometrics

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That saying goodbye stuff is going to be a killer. My three children are here as well I have my first grandbaby due in Sept which I will be coming home for but then have to turn around and say goodbye to the granddaughter also. don't know how I will handle it all.

Saying goodbye to my family was the saddest day of my life. :cry: Coming to VJ to talk with those who understood that, though, helped me out a lot. Don't forget we're here for you. (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.