yaseen

South Africa - Law for police records!

10 posts in this topic

i have been arguing wiht my fiancee all day about this and its becoming a big problem..She is telling me that she has to go Physically herself to South Africa to get her police record. Now i have been told that when u apply for the visa, the foreign fiancee CANNOT travel outside of her permanent residence!...

What can i do?..She says her relatives tried to ge tthe police record and they denied them saying, My fiancee had to be there!!!

PLEAASSE SOMEONE HELP!

Can my foreign fiancee travel to South africa to get her police records? will that be a violation?

event.png

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Wait a minute. Is she currently in the US with you and applying for adjustment of status? If she is, then you don't need a police clearance, as these are only mandatory for immigrant visa applicants that have a consular application (and not adjustment of status). I hope this helps :)

05/01/2011 - Won DV-2012 with a case number below 2012EUXXXX4000.

05/02/2011 - Sent DSP-122, winning notification with bar-code, 2 passport pictures and DS-230 to KCC (Registered mail).

05/04/2011 - Medical examination.

05/05/2011 - Picked up sealed envelope from physician + USPS Delivery confirmation from KCC.

05/06/2011 - Sent $440 Diversity Visa fee (aka Adjustment of status fee) to US Department of State (Registered mail).

05/09/2011 - USPS Delivery confirmation from Department of State.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Since you are asking for police records I am assuming you still have not cleared the K1 interview at the embassy/consulate. There is no restriction on the foreign fiance from traveling outside the country of her residence. She cannot travel to the United States without her visa but that does not mean she cannot travel else where in the world.

As long as she has her passport, visa and does not have criminal proceedings against her in her home country preventing her from traveling abroad she is free to go wherever she likes!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now i have been told that when u apply for the visa, the foreign fiancee CANNOT travel outside of her permanent residence!...

What can i do?..She says her relatives tried to ge tthe police record and they denied them saying, My fiancee had to be there!!!

PLEAASSE SOMEONE HELP!

Can my foreign fiancee travel to South africa to get her police records? will that be a violation?

Violation of what? Your fiancee is applying for a visa to visit the USA... That process does not put shackles on them and prevent them from traveling elsewhere. Nonsense, pure nonsense.

Police Records

Available. Criminal records since 1901 covering the entire Republic are maintained at the South African Police Headquarters, Pretoria. The period The Commissioner of the South African Police issues certificates upon application, stating whether or not a criminal record exists, and, if so, particulars of the offense as well as any sentence passed.

The police authorities require an applicant to present verification of identity, such as a Book of Life, or valid passport, and a payment of R41.00 (South African rand forty one payable in cash, cheque or postal order, made payable to the South African police).

To obtain a certificate that is issued in single copy only, fingerprints must be taken by the local police in the applicant’s place of residence. The South African police forwards the completed fingerprint chart and the fee to the head office in Pretoria for issuance of the police clearance certificate. If the applicant is residing in the United States, he or she should forward a bank draft in the aount of R41.00 together with a completed fingerprint chart (bearing an official signature and stamp of the local police station) to:

South African Police Service

Criminal Record Centre

Private Bang X308

Pretoria 0001, South Africa

Alternatively, he/she should authorize a friend/relative in South Africa to submit the application on behalf of the applicant.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

for South Africa...we have people over there that are related to her to pick up for her, but they told them my fiancee had to come.

alternatively according to the Department of State she could give someone "power of attorney" and authorize them to get it for her

YMMV

Timeline

how do i do a"power of attorney"? forms i gotta fill and send in?

I doubt there is a form but you will need to create on or have one created for you. Try google for examples

It will consist of wording something like:

To: [Name of Agency]

I [Name] hereby authorize [Agent Name] as a representative and all rights regarding the application to obtain [name of report] required by the United States of America for immigration purposes.

Sign it and have it notarized

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.