NickD

Obama forced to release his birth certificate.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

the only thing of importance in this country is your place of birth, something none of us have a choice of.

This has been a key issue with me with the shock that my wife has to maintain both citizenship and a passport for her home country. Was given a thousand different stories on this. But states both in our DOS site and in the Colombian consulate site, that she must maintain a Colombian passport to visit her mom.

But it also states in the Colombian site, if you become a citizen of a different country your Colombian citizenship is automatically renounce. But if you want to visit Colombia you have to renew your citizenship to get a Colombian passport. The DOS completely ignores this step, just says you have to have a Colombian passport. Apparently, the DOS does not want to admit they are forcing a person to maintain dual citizenship. Another piece of BS from them, say no such thing as dual citizenship, but dual naturalization. What in the hell is the difference?

This whole immigration thing, all those forms, expenses, even this board is based solely on your place of birth, nothing to do with a couple meeting and falling in love and wanting to spend the rest of their days together, just your place of birth! Even problems for the president of these United States, we don't stand a chance in fighting this.

Had a couple of uncles drafted into WW II with my Italian last name, were accepted, but since we were at war with Italy, they changed their names, one was to Fisher, the other to Smith. Stalin and Hitler didn't care about that, would take anyone into their battles, if they wouldn't fight, their commanders would shoot them. While we were hypocritical on this issue, least we didn't shoot our own guys. But even being born here didn't make a difference.

Ironically in tracing my wifes' roots her grandparents were less than 500 miles in Europe from mine. But hers happened to get on a boat to South rather than North America. She had no say in this, but was of extreme major importance to our government. Then they call us the large melting pot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nick, isn't it funny? I was born in Canada 5 miles from the US border in a hospital. Had I been diverted 5 miles away I would have been born a dual citizen.

I just said to my parents the other day "I wonder when our passport will say "Citizen: Earth" ... it's strange how we all group ourselves into religions, countries, communities, and even further down. We're funny creatures.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

Nick, isn't it funny? I was born in Canada 5 miles from the US border in a hospital. Had I been diverted 5 miles away I would have been born a dual citizen.

I just said to my parents the other day "I wonder when our passport will say "Citizen: Earth" ... it's strange how we all group ourselves into religions, countries, communities, and even further down. We're funny creatures.

If Obama was born just two years earlier, he would have been screwed as Hawaii wasn't a state back then. So that is cutting it close. Even though Hawaii is a state, the Japanese own most of it. Learned the hard way, easier to buy it than try to take it. Money,not bombs talks.

Yeah, can get into big trouble by picking a dandelion just inches south of the Canadian/US border and attempting to bring it across. After some 230 years, heard you need a passport now to try that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Had a couple of uncles drafted into WW II with my Italian last name, were accepted, but since we were at war with Italy, they changed their names, one was to Fisher, the other to Smith. Stalin and Hitler didn't care about that, would take anyone into their battles, if they wouldn't fight, their commanders would shoot them. While we were hypocritical on this issue, least we didn't shoot our own guys. But even being born here didn't make a difference.

Funny, cause Stalin changed his own last name.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

I believe NickD needs to be taken to the woodshed. Your rant makes no amount of sense. I know of many Colombians who travel to Colombia and never have issues, either with their Colombian passport or American passports. You spend more time discussing Obuttma than anything...I think you are more upset about him than your spouse.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Timeline

I believe NickD needs to be taken to the woodshed. Your rant makes no amount of sense. I know of many Colombians who travel to Colombia and never have issues, either with their Colombian passport or American passports. You spend more time discussing Obuttma than anything...I think you are more upset about him than your spouse.

Couldn't agree with you more if it wasn't for the fact my wife was denied entry into Colombia with her US passport. She even entered Colombia many times with a non-Colombian passport, but was just denied one time. And how can you argue when our own Department of States tells you if you were born in Colombia you must maintain a Colombian passport.

Just feel this place of birth is crazy, not ranting, but attempting to generate dialog on this subject. Takes many people to make a change in this country. Even crazy for two natural born US citizens to have a kid abroad where that kid has to carry that stigma for the rest of his life. But at the same time two illegals here have a kid and that kid is a US citizen and eligible for all kinds of government aid.

Couldn't care less about Obamas' problems, but interesting that even the president has problems with this place of birth issue. But since he does have problems, not the person to correct it. Would be accused of a self-seeking change.

Why do we have messes like this?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.