Mike & Allen

Income and tax returns for K-1 interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my situation, we have filed for a K-1 visa in the Philippines. We have received our NOA2 and are awaiting one document before we schedule my fiance's interview and medical. My question is during 2010 I was unemployed for almost 9 months. In August 2010 I finally got a job in a state I previously lived in before working at the same company that I had worked at previously 5 years earlier. In 2010 I did not make enough money that is required for the K-1 to support my fiance and her son. But now my current income is more than enough according to the poverty guidelines. I have given my fiance all of my current paycheck stubs since August 2010, and also my Social Security Statement which shows my income every year since 1995. She also has my most recent tax return and W-2. i also sent her 3 years of tax returns, but the only problem with those is that it shows joint income with my ex wife. I also have a recent letter from my employer verifying my employment with the start date and salary. I have never made below the amount that is required according to the guidelines except in 2010. I do not have savings or anything else such as assets at this time. 2010 was the worst year for me. I have a friend that has agreed to co sponsor if we will need it. Other than this hangup, we have more than enough evidence to prove that our relationship is real, and I just returned from my third trip to visit her. My fiance is so worried and stressed about this. Has anyone else had a similar situation and gotten approved, or does anyone have any suggestions that will ease our minds?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I've been told and read around here, as long as you're making enough presently to sponsor your fiance, you should be alright. I would wait and see what others have to say, but you sound good as gold to me.

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Current income is most significant, although you may be questioned about last year. It's a totally different story if you're self-employed.

You should also know in advance that Manila rarely accepts co-sponsors for the K-1. I wouldn't count on that being a possibility.

Make sure your employment letter states your income, the time you've been at that job, and provide 3-6 months of paystubs with form I-134.

Sorry to hear 2010 was rough - hope this year is turning out better!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In my situation, we have filed for a K-1 visa in the Philippines. We have received our NOA2 and are awaiting one document before we schedule my fiance's interview and medical. My question is during 2010 I was unemployed for almost 9 months. In August 2010 I finally got a job in a state I previously lived in before working at the same company that I had worked at previously 5 years earlier. In 2010 I did not make enough money that is required for the K-1 to support my fiance and her son. But now my current income is more than enough according to the poverty guidelines. I have given my fiance all of my current paycheck stubs since August 2010, and also my Social Security Statement which shows my income every year since 1995. She also has my most recent tax return and W-2. i also sent her 3 years of tax returns, but the only problem with those is that it shows joint income with my ex wife. I also have a recent letter from my employer verifying my employment with the start date and salary. I have never made below the amount that is required according to the guidelines except in 2010. I do not have savings or anything else such as assets at this time. 2010 was the worst year for me. I have a friend that has agreed to co sponsor if we will need it. Other than this hangup, we have more than enough evidence to prove that our relationship is real, and I just returned from my third trip to visit her. My fiance is so worried and stressed about this. Has anyone else had a similar situation and gotten approved, or does anyone have any suggestions that will ease our minds?

They go by current gross income. Proof of current employment and income is far more critical than what you made last year or "so far" this year. If you got a job yesterday for $65,000 per year and you answer a question today which asks "What is my current income?" the answer is $65,000 per year.

Attach check stubs and/or employment letter for evidence.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.