Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Filing a petition for biological dad

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

First I would like you to ignore my profile because that's my specific case.

I am doing a favor to my aunt (who is not a computer fan) that's why I am posting this question aiming to solicit some advice or get experiences from knowledgeable others out there.

Many many years ago, she went to Saipan and met a guy who then became and suitor which gave birth to my cousin (janice). My aunt and the daughter came to Philippines when my cousin was still a year old. Meaning, my aunt was never married to that guy but my cousin's birth certificate was registered in Saipan bearing her dad's name. When Saipan became a part of the United States, she claimed citizenship and it's been a year now that she's in the US.

Now, my aunt's case is at NVC for processing since her daughter filed a petition for her and it got approved. This time, they are planning to file a petition to her dad in the future. My cousin's dad is in Africa, they barely established a communication after 21 years. Meaning my cousin didn't grow up with him since childhood and just saw him once when she was a kid.

What is the chance that the petitions will be denied? Her dad is a Filipino Citizen but has been working in Africa ever since. Is it possible to file a petition for a person not residing in their origin country? We still have some questions in mind but I'll be posting it soon, first we just wanted to ask this primary questions.

Thanks for stopping by at this post. feel free to give your answers. Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

***** Moving from USCIS Service Centers to Bringing Family Members... as OP is asking about a USC and her father *****

Yes she can file, and it will likely be approved, though they might ask for a DNA test. This is assuming the father on the birth cert is the bio father, and the father-daughter relationship has not been severed (ie she wasn't adopted or anything). It doesn;t matter where the father lives, he can go to interview anywhere he resides legally.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.