Vizcayana

Filing a petition for biological dad

3 posts in this topic

Hello all,

First I would like you to ignore my profile because that's my specific case.

I am doing a favor to my aunt (who is not a computer fan) that's why I am posting this question aiming to solicit some advice or get experiences from knowledgeable others out there.

Many many years ago, she went to Saipan and met a guy who then became and suitor which gave birth to my cousin (janice). My aunt and the daughter came to Philippines when my cousin was still a year old. Meaning, my aunt was never married to that guy but my cousin's birth certificate was registered in Saipan bearing her dad's name. When Saipan became a part of the United States, she claimed citizenship and it's been a year now that she's in the US.

Now, my aunt's case is at NVC for processing since her daughter filed a petition for her and it got approved. This time, they are planning to file a petition to her dad in the future. My cousin's dad is in Africa, they barely established a communication after 21 years. Meaning my cousin didn't grow up with him since childhood and just saw him once when she was a kid.

What is the chance that the petitions will be denied? Her dad is a Filipino Citizen but has been working in Africa ever since. Is it possible to file a petition for a person not residing in their origin country? We still have some questions in mind but I'll be posting it soon, first we just wanted to ask this primary questions.

Thanks for stopping by at this post. feel free to give your answers. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from USCIS Service Centers to Bringing Family Members... as OP is asking about a USC and her father *****

Yes she can file, and it will likely be approved, though they might ask for a DNA test. This is assuming the father on the birth cert is the bio father, and the father-daughter relationship has not been severed (ie she wasn't adopted or anything). It doesn;t matter where the father lives, he can go to interview anywhere he resides legally.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.