Qais

Interview date/Protests

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance has submitted everything to the Embassy in Damascus, Syria. She is waiting for an interview date to be scheduled. As you might have heard there a lot of protests and government crackdown happening right now in Syria. I'm afraid if things escalate the Embassy might close down. Is there anyway I can speed up the interview date? Do you think contacting my Congress representative can help in this regard? Thanks for any advice.

I've updated my timeline to aid VJ users, please update yours if you haven't :-)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance has submitted everything to the Embassy in Damascus, Syria. She is waiting for an interview date to be scheduled. As you might have heard there a lot of protests and government crackdown happening right now in Syria. I'm afraid if things escalate the Embassy might close down. Is there anyway I can speed up the interview date? Do you think contacting my Congress representative can help in this regard? Thanks for any advice.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I have to.

There is nothing you can do whatsoever. I know this because my husband and I are going thru something similar to you and your fiance. See in January 2011 a revolution began in Egypt. So now everything is so backed up that new interviews are few and far in between. I am sorry to tell you that. Our case has been completed since January 2011 and at the NVC awaiting an interview, with no interview in sight. So we wait, and if things get much more worse in Syria, you will wait too. Even trying for an expediate due to the unraveling circumstances will not work, you will be told, as I was told, the situation does not warrant expedite. Wow even if a country is on the verge or even going thru a civil war? Unbelievable I know, but its true, so sad yet true.

My advice? Strap in its going to be a slow bumpy ride my friend. Best wishes to you and your fiance. My prayers are with you and your fiance that your fiance remains safe and things get better in Syria so soon.

Timeline

Hi Quis,

As you can see from my timeline I am in the same boat as you are, My Fiancée did receive her interview date which only two weeks away but seems like forever due to the unrest in Syria..I wont lie to you i am afraid of an embassy closure as well, there is a consulate Facebook page which can help by asking questions and get answers, its really helpful. I can tell you if you don't have an interview date you may ask to transfer your papers to Jordan or maybe Turkey....I was thinking the same thing...if you guys get an interview date then you just have to wait and watch helplessly as I am.....Best of the luck to you guys any help I can offer don't hesitate..

Mike

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Quis,

As you can see from my timeline I am in the same boat as you are, My Fiancée did receive her interview date which only two weeks away but seems like forever due to the unrest in Syria..I wont lie to you i am afraid of an embassy closure as well, there is a consulate Facebook page which can help by asking questions and get answers, its really helpful. I can tell you if you don't have an interview date you may ask to transfer your papers to Jordan or maybe Turkey....I was thinking the same thing...if you guys get an interview date then you just have to wait and watch helplessly as I am.....Best of the luck to you guys any help I can offer don't hesitate..

Mike

Ahhhh the ole transfer to another embassy trick... forget about that one.... been there, tried that and moved on. Simply to transfer to another embassy you must first request the other embassy to accept your case :blink: good luck with that. Most embassies have a huge case load of their own and are not willing to accept other country's cases. Then you have to make a request of the NVC or your country's embassy, whichever has your case at that time, I wish you another good luck on that one :blink: . Really I am not trying to be mean or cruel I am just trying to give a little honest answers from someone that has been there and done all that recently. Even IF you do manage to get a green light to transfer you may be just shooting yourself in the foot and adding more time, not shaving it off. I am just telling you what I have already learned, it is best to hang in there and pray for God's will to be done. Best wishes to both of you Syrian filers I know what you are going through my friends, trust me I do know all too well.

Edited by Amber & Ahmed

Timeline

Thanks Mike and Amber/Ahmed for your responses. I guess I'll have to wait this week or two out and see what happens. Thanks for the facebook page Mike, I'll look into it.

This sucks, you would think the Visa process was keeping you on edge, but having to deal with potential revolutions and the consequences really sucks! Thanks for your prayers and I wish you guys the best as well.

Ahhhh the ole transfer to another embassy trick... forget about that one.... been there, tried that and moved on. Simply to transfer to another embassy you must first request the other embassy to accept your case :blink: good luck with that. Most embassies have a huge case load of their own and are not willing to accept other country's cases. Then you have to make a request of the NVC or your country's embassy, whichever has your case at that time, I wish you another good luck on that one :blink: . Really I am not trying to be mean or cruel I am just trying to give a little honest answers from someone that has been there and done all that recently. Even IF you do manage to get a green light to transfer you may be just shooting yourself in the foot and adding more time, not shaving it off. I am just telling you what I have already learned, it is best to hang in there and pray for God's will to be done. Best wishes to both of you Syrian filers I know what you are going through my friends, trust me I do know all too well.

I've updated my timeline to aid VJ users, please update yours if you haven't :-)

Timeline

Hey Mike,

Yes, are timelines are similar. I'm still waiting for an interview to be set up. I have a question, did the Embassy call your fiance to set up the interview? Do you know if it is something that I can initiate or schedule myself? My fiance submitted the last packet around April 21, I believe, and we still haven't heard anything. Just anxiously waiting. Best of luck for your guys interview. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Hi Quis,

Mike

Edited by Qais

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.