confusedasheck

Could I live on USD$20,000 per year in HCMC?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Is it possible to live decently on USD $20,000 per year in HCMC? I'm looking into setting up some rental properties in the US and think I could get $5,000 net profit per unit per year. I don't need anything fancy. I would intend to live like a local and avoid the expat areas.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

With 20k/ year you're lookingat 1,670.00/month. That's roughly 35mil vnmese dong. An average income here is around 3mil/month. So you're looking at 35mils life style vs. 3mils life style. You will be doing more than ok.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

have you lived or spent any time in HCM? seems like you're not familiar with the city if you're thinking about if 20k is sufficient.

living like a local is trying to get by with 2-3mil a month ($100-$150 USD)

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Is it possible to live decently on USD $20,000 per year in HCMC? I'm looking into setting up some rental properties in the US and think I could get $5,000 net profit per unit per year. I don't need anything fancy. I would intend to live like a local and avoid the expat areas.

That would be more than sufficient even though bad inflation is happening there. Have fun there. I miss it so much.

11/8/10: Medical exam

11/12/10:Get married

11/19/10: I-693 sealed.It means my chest x ray is fine :)

11/20/10: Package [ I-130,I-485,I-765] sent to Lockbox

11/22/10 [Day 1]: Delivered there

11/29/10 [Day 7]: Return receipt from USPS

12/13/10 [Day 21]: Texts and email received [ after 21 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

12/16/10 [Day 24]: Snail copy received

12/18/10 [Day 26]: Every single form touched

12/20/10 [Day 28]: Biometrics letter received

1/13/11 [Day 51]: Biometrics done

1/24/11 [Day 62]: Biometrcis appointment received AGAIN.!!!!!!!!!I was like #######

2/04/11 [Day 72]: Second biometrics done

2/15/11 [Day 83]: EAD in production.

2/18/11 [Day 86]: Interview letter received, set for March 21

2/22/11 [Day 90]: EAD mailed out.

2/25/11 [Day 93]: EAD received

3/21/11 [Day 118]: Interview but left with no decision ToT

3/31/11 [Day 128]: RFE regarding police clearance

4/13/11 [Day 141]: RFE sent

4/19/11 [Day 147]: Card in production

4/22/11 [Day 150]: Welcome2USA letter received

It took 5 stressful months exactly.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Depending on where you want to live you can live easily on $1000 a month. Houses/apartments range from 200 to 800 per month, electricity, water, cable and internet cost less than 100 a month, then if you eat out all the time and dont eat at 5 star places you can get a big meal for you and the wife less than $10. We usually spend about 6 million a month after bills on all our food eating out, and other expenses which is less than $300 a month. Our total bills per month are less than $650 per month, so if you can make $20,000 a year you should be able to save over $10,000 a year

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Timeline

20 grand a year in Vietnam is quite a hall. Save nothing and you can live like a king. Save a good amount and you can live quite well. Few in that country can hope to make that kind of a haul.

My wife and I plan on going over there later this year for a 3 to 5 year stretch. The wife is bringing her job with her and therefore, her current salary. Taking in at least 3 grand a month after taxes (and the taxes be less over there because we no longer have to pay NJ), we can live of her salary alone and save a ton. Factor in what I hope to make, which will be far far less (likely $800 to $1,000 a month) and we are going to live the high life, even while saving half what we earn.

It's the reason we are going. We can have kids and have the support of family, plus a maid or nanny or both. Plus we can travel and I can make the feature over there that is just too expensive to shoot over here.

All I need to have $10,000 a year to live in VN. :thumbs:

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

All I need to have $10,000 a year to live in VN. :thumbs:

Me too... it all depends on where one wants to live and what extras you want out of life... 10k can be a comfortable life and with income exceeding 10k that can be a great way to save $... We already have a house there paid for, so 10k is more than enough for us.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

The answer depends on how much and often you drink beer and have demand for prostitution. You might be able to squeeze a dime and nickle here and there. But will your women able to do the same or care to do the same? Good luck dreaming!

Make sure you do have a back up plan in the event of having "nightmares", literally!

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

OP, yesterday I forgot about this til I see a new thread about it today. TB (tuberculosis)! Do you know TB is prevalent in Vietnam? Even when you have the $$$ to live comfortably, you're surrounded with people loaded with TB. Stopping at traffic lights and the guys next to you spitting on the streets. Standing next to a host carrying TB and s/he coughs without covering the mouth. Wearing mask only filters out the dirt particles in the air, not the TB microbes.

Almost EVERY VNese will have a positive TB skin test. A lot of VNese smoke and combined with the humid (it rains a lot in Saigon during rainy season) and dirty air environment, it's a heaven breeding ground for TB. Then adding insult to injury, with the tremendous gas price increase lately, lots and lots of folks barely have enough income to provide themselves with adequate and required nutrition. As result, this will lower their immunity capability and allows microbes like TB (which already in their bodies) symptoms to develop.

Think twice about the VN paradise! The shining night lights and lots of chicks in beautiful dresses on flashy scooter bikes on the streets at night isn't as catchy as you dream!

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

i sold my house for 240k last year, sold my car, paid off all my debt and moved to vietnam for 3 months. while there, i lived with with my wife and her family. i bought them a new motor bike, some nice wooden chairs/chouch wich dragons and stuff on it, a fridge (never seen anyone went crazy over a fridge) and fixed up their roof because when it rains on those metal roof it is so damn loud. those were the most expensive things i've bought there, which cost me about $5,000. needless to say, $20 can buy me breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between.

i sold my house for 240k last year, sold my car, paid off all my debt and moved to vietnam for 3 months. while there, i lived with with my wife and her family. i bought them a new motor bike, some nice wooden chairs/chouch wich dragons and stuff on it, a fridge (never seen anyone went crazy over a fridge) and fixed up their roof because when it rains on those metal roof it is so damn loud. those were the most expensive things i've bought there, which cost me about $5,000. needless to say, $20 can buy me breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between.

Most ppl I know that decide to move back and live in VN are Seniors, after they've retired and earned enough of the 40 credits to be eligible for Social Security (meaning til they die, they'll continue to receive a monthly paycheck). But if you're still within working age and decide to do the same and your S/O one day has a change of heart and divorces you, you'll be screwed big time.

Right now you still have some $$$ and you'll be treated like King of the house. Will it still be the same if one day your cash is exhausted? You're gambling on something that's not real!

Edited by Dau Que

For those who are not VNese, ask someone about "Bua` and Ngai?". I don't know of English words to these. In short, they're sort of "voodoo's" stuff. They poison your mind with those poured into your drinks.

Once these stuffs are in your bodies, you're hypnotized and obey their orders (of course you don't know what's going on). What good is your $$$ in your bank account (you think you can control it) but your mind is controlled by someone else?

Folks, this is one area you don't wanna test it out to see whether it's real or not.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

agreed with DQ if you're still able to earn an income and work, why would you want to move to vietnam? and unless you have a big 500k mansion secluded somewhere and away from the city living in luxury with multiple helpers(which i wouldn't want anyway)...it's so chaotic and lawless that you may be in constant danger and not even know it.

as a matter of fact before i filed the K1 my SO said why couldn't we just buy a house in saigon and live there instead of moving to the US...i told her are you crazy the opportunity and life is in the USA, not here.

i would love to take a job over there earning a US salary for maybe 6mos-1yr...but i'll eventually get sick of that life and the unbearable heat and would yearn to go back to america with all the things we take for granted. when i'm older maybe i'll retire to a farm away from the city raising cattles and chickens and grow rice (provided there's working toilet, running water, electricity, high speed internet, a/c, flat screen tv, etc etc :devil: )

Edited by quann

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.