4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hey,were about to file for the AOS and EAD from a K-1 now that were married.

just a few questions that we cant find many answers to?

for a start, we know we fill out the forms,have an interview and all that....but is there a whole load of more police and background checks or was that all taken care of when we got the k-1, would seem a little bit of a waste of time to do them all again is all?

we looked up the average time and its about 5 months,based on time lines on here, is that about the average from what you guys have had?

with the support form it says you need your own domacile,were living with parents so will a note from the parents (owners of the house) be okay or do we need to have a tenancy agreement written up to make things more official looking?

and then is there any more help and advice you guys could give us? would be really greatful for any help you could provide

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey jaygregory,

First question for you, are you going to apply for AP as well (advance parole, a document that allows you to travel while your AOS is pending?) I believe it's included in the price you pay for your AOS... Might not be a bad thing to look into since you're applying for your EAD too...

As for your questions, here are some answers:

- There will be a background check done, but you are not responsible for doing so. I'm sure USCIS double-checks every beneficiary even though there was pre-clearance with the K-1 visa.

- 5 months is what it took us to get a green card interview. But this varies a lot... Also, you might not have a AOS interview. Some cases are transferred to California Service Center, and that usually means that your file will be processed without an interview. And I said, usually...

- I don't remember seeing anything on the support form that said you need your own domicile... Chris and I live with his parents for now as well, and this was never even brought up at the interview... We didn't have a letter from his parents, or a "lease" or anything like that.

- Make sure you start gathering evidence of joint stuff, like: a joint bank account, any statement that states one or the other as beneficiary for life insurance, pictures, health insurance (note that I don't have one yet, and this wasn't brought up at the interview either), car insurance, bills, etc... Things you will want to bring at the interview if you were to have one.

Good luck with everything, and again I'm sure you know that but the guides are very helpful and full of information. They helped me a lot. Good luck! :thumbs:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

hey,were about to file for the AOS and EAD from a K-1 now that were married.

just a few questions that we cant find many answers to?

for a start, we know we fill out the forms,have an interview and all that....but is there a whole load of more police and background checks or was that all taken care of when we got the k-1, would seem a little bit of a waste of time to do them all again is all?

we looked up the average time and its about 5 months,based on time lines on here, is that about the average from what you guys have had?

with the support form it says you need your own domacile,were living with parents so will a note from the parents (owners of the house) be okay or do we need to have a tenancy agreement written up to make things more official looking?

and then is there any more help and advice you guys could give us? would be really greatful for any help you could provide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/

Have a read

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.