Matt_Stevens

Will I pay taxes on my personal items if I move to Vietnam?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My problem is that the theft of items in the Saigon and Hanoi airports. Our gf visited from Hanoi, bought a lot of stuff, went home and found half the items from her checked suitcase were mossing when she got home. Ouch.

The question also is, how do I check in a large desktop computer? It would have to be boxed (I have the original tower case) but also double boxed to make sure it is protected. but TSA will likely want to look inside and that means they just make ruin all my protection.

This system is worth over $2500 so how can I get coverage for it?

It would be a ###### to take apart and them reassemble. It has six hard drives inside. If I have six hard drives in my luggage or carryon they will likely try and tax me thinking I am selling stuff. No, I have a RAID array! This doesn't even include my backup server, which has two hard drives in it.

matt,call your airline and ask them about this, am sure they know how to ship stuff to vietnam . if it a full tower with 6 hard drives then no one gona be able to steal it , too heavy , thieves will break their back trying to steal it lol.

Timeline

Really? No!!!!!! Vietnam is a paradise! Those nasty stuffs you said above are not true at all! Ho Chi Minh and the communist party have done wonder to Vietnam!!!

So wonderful that so many of the modern VNese brides run away and flock to the US. Gee, I wonder why would they do that? Because they love their country so much?

Jim and Phuong, the above statement is intended for you and your wife. Keep praising Bac Ho. One day I'm sure you two will be awarded "Huy Chuong Chi`" by that regime.

you need to chill out dau que , i know that you hate the communist because of what they did to ya , but you need to let it go , it not like making negative commends about other vj members on here gona ease your pain. there are like 3 millions vietnammese living oversea in the free world and it will be a crime again our culture if we cut tie with our root and not visit vietnam. our history actually go back thousand of years , communist or not we are still vietnammese . it not like we can some how go back to vietnam and take back our country , over the year other people had tried that,and failed. have you ever hears of that "hoang minh chinh" guy ? he sneak back into vietnam with a bunch of vietnammese commandos and kill truck loads of communist, but in the end the commi corner him and kick his butt.just stay here in the usa and enjoy what left of your life man , let other people do their things , you done your part.

you need to chill out dau que , i know that you hate the communist because of what they did to ya , but you need to let it go , it not like making negative commends about other vj members on here gona ease your pain. there are like 3 millions vietnammese living oversea in the free world and it will be a crime again our culture if we cut tie with our root and not visit vietnam. our history actually go back thousand of years , communist or not we are still vietnammese . it not like we can some how go back to vietnam and take back our country , over the year other people had tried that,and failed. have you ever hears of that "hoang minh chinh" guy ? he sneak back into vietnam with a bunch of vietnammese commandos and kill truck loads of communist, but in the end the commi corner him and kick his butt.just stay here in the usa and enjoy what left of your life man , let other people do their things , you done your part.

DTC, this is DAU QUE we all know from year.. but.. he is a great guy.. someday, he has a good mode.. but most of the time.. not .. hihi...

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

If you're NOT yet a USC, then don't attempt to bring things you "know" are illegal, ie. pirated softwares, DVDs, so on. If it's your unlucky day and get caught by the US customs, you might jeopardize your citizenship.

Agreed. They're starting to crack down on copyright infringement/pirated goods. A few local businesses found out the hard way.

I knew a guy who had to wait 6 months to get his personal belongings out of a customs hold. You're going to have to show a work permit and any other type of paperwork you can imagine. I know a few people that may be able to assist, if need be.That's if you're shipping, of course.

Why not break it down and buy a tower here? They're easy enough to find and cheap.

Edited by Teacher Mark

Filed: Timeline

At this point breaking it down is what I am leaning towards. The only issue is that with an RAID array, I have six drives, plus the two in my server that is coming with me. Customs might not like that I have so many drives and wonder what i am doing (selling). My wife's cousin works at the airport and may be able to help me.

I have not even been blinked at by customs my first two trips to Saigon. Maybe my third will be the same. But I can't take a risk. I have to really plan this out.

Timeline

At this point breaking it down is what I am leaning towards. The only issue is that with an RAID array, I have six drives, plus the two in my server that is coming with me. Customs might not like that I have so many drives and wonder what i am doing (selling). My wife's cousin works at the airport and may be able to help me.

I have not even been blinked at by customs my first two trips to Saigon. Maybe my third will be the same. But I can't take a risk. I have to really plan this out.

Then pay the tax if there is any, I suggest bringing $100 in $10 bills and maybe another $100 in 5's, if you show big money from the start they want big money, only show the smaller bills if you have to pay tax and hand them one at a time, have them divided up in different places so that it looks like you dont have much and you are scrounging for what you show. if you want to pack it, put it in a bigger box and pack clothes around it, it might help from bumps and dings, nothing you can really do as far as insurance that I am aware of. Good luck on what you decide to do, but dont sweat the tax that much, the main thing is if they look used they will probably overlook them, if not, as I said start counting off bills, I paid $100 when i came but that was my fault, i only had like $23 bucks the rest were hundreds, so naturally they took one of the big ones, but if I had had 10's or 20's i bet i could have paid $50 to %75 instead

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.