BDboy36

Affidavit of Support Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi, One of my friends is asking my help to sponsor (Affidavit of support) for his sister and family. I am planning to apply for my own parents next year. If I sponsor my friend's sister this year, would I be able to sponsor my parents next year?

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you make enough income to sponsor all these people? Look at the poverty guidelines and add up all the people you would be sponsoring. That would be the first place to start.

Check out the I-864 poverty guidelines, should help you figure if you make enough $$ to sponsor everyone.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

My income 2010 is just enough to sponsor for my friends sister's family. It won't cover my parents. But my concern is I am not sponsoring my parents until next year. I am just confused since it will be a new tax year will they still count my friends sisters family?

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My income 2010 is just enough to sponsor for my friends sister's family. It won't cover my parents. But my concern is I am not sponsoring my parents until next year. I am just confused since it will be a new tax year will they still count my friends sisters family?

Thanks again.

Yes they would still be counted because you are sponsoring them for a certain period of time, which means until they die or become US citizens (5years). You are signing papers stating you are responsible for them. (hope your friends family is responsible and respectable people and wont take you for a ride)

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks again.

ditto,

you will be responsible for his sister for a very long time. It's not just for the interview. If you don't think you'll have enough in the next 5 years, then you would have to decline, because you'll need a joint sponsor yourself to petition for your parents. they come first.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks again.

If you petition your friend's sister's family, you WILL NOT be able to petition your parents. You don't make enough to sponsor both your friend's sister's family and your parents. You can sponsor your friend's sister's family OR your parents.

The obligations under the I-864 is not just signing a piece of paper. You are making a contract to support the immigrants if they receive certain government benefits. If your friend's sister's family remain LPRs and do not become US citizens or earn 40 work credits, your obligations under the I-864 will last until all of them die. That can be a very long time.

DON'T SPONSOR YOUR FRIEND'S SISTER'S FAMILY IF YOU WANT TO PETITION FOR YOUR PARENTS.

Read the instructions for Form I-864.

Since you would be sponsoring your friend's sister's family first, this is how you would count people for the I-864 if you have never sponsor anyone before.

Year 2011: You, your dependents, and your friend's sister's family.

Year 2012, 2013, 2014, or 2015: You, your dependents, your friend's sister's family, and your parents. You count your friend's sister's family because they will be LPRs who have not earned more than 40 work credits. Your obligations under the I-864 for for family's sister's family still exists. If you don't make enough for everybody, you will need to find a friend who is willing to be a joint sponsor for your parents.

Read the instructions for Form I-864.

Since you would be sponsoring your friend's sister's family first, this is how you would count people for the I-864 if you have never sponsor anyone before.

Year 2011: You, your dependents, and your friend's sister's family.

Year 2012, 2013, 2014, or 2015: You, your dependents, your friend's sister's family, and your parents. You count your friend's sister's family because they will be LPRs who have not earned more than 40 work credits. Your obligations under the I-864 for for family's sister's family still exists. If you don't make enough for everybody, you will need to find a friend who is willing to be a joint sponsor for your parents.

if the above petitioner doesnt make enough and need a co-sponser is the petitioner's earnings included in the support or is it the sole resposeabilty of the co-sponser to supports everyone including the petitioner??????

if the above petitioner doesnt make enough and need a co-sponser is the petitioner's earnings included in the support or is it the sole resposeabilty of the co-sponser to supports everyone including the petitioner??????

There is no such person as a co-sponsor. It is either a household member or a joint sponsor.

A household member must be related to the petitioner in certain ways and live in the same house as the petitioner. The household member's income is combined with the petitioner's income to meet the 125% above poverty line. The number of people included in this AOS are the petitioner, the household member, their dependents, any LPRs with existing I-864 obligations sponsored by the petitioner and household member, and any intending immigrants.

The joint sponsor can be any US person over the age of 18. The joint sponsor does not need to be related to the petitioner and does not have to live with the petitioner. The joint sponsor's income is not combined with the petitioner's income. The joint sponsor must make more than 125% to support the joint sponsor, the joint sponsor's dependents, any LPRs with existing I-864 obligations sponsored by the joint sponsor, and any intending immigrants. The joint sponsor does not include the petitioner or the petitioner's dependents in meeting the poverty guidelines unless there is a legal obligation or contractual obligation such as the I-864.

There is no such person as a co-sponsor. It is either a household member or a joint sponsor.

A household member must be related to the petitioner in certain ways and live in the same house as the petitioner. The household member's income is combined with the petitioner's income to meet the 125% above poverty line. The number of people included in this AOS are the petitioner, the household member, their dependents, any LPRs with existing I-864 obligations sponsored by the petitioner and household member, and any intending immigrants.

The joint sponsor can be any US person over the age of 18. The joint sponsor does not need to be related to the petitioner and does not have to live with the petitioner. The joint sponsor's income is not combined with the petitioner's income. The joint sponsor must make more than 125% to support the joint sponsor, the joint sponsor's dependents, any LPRs with existing I-864 obligations sponsored by the joint sponsor, and any intending immigrants. The joint sponsor does not include the petitioner or the petitioner's dependents in meeting the poverty guidelines unless there is a legal obligation or contractual obligation such as the I-864.

I dont get the part in the red???? does the joint sponsor include the petitioner and the pertitioner dependent or not??? thats confussed me from what is in green

I dont get the part in the red???? does the joint sponsor include the petitioner and the pertitioner dependent or not??? thats confussed me from what is in green

What is it that you don't get????? The green part tells you who must the the joint sponsor include in calculating his household size. The red part tells you who the joint sponsor DOES NOT INCLUDE in calculating his household size.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.