Nuke and Tsy

Name change and work history for I130

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My USC husband and I are trying to finalize the I130 to submit, and I've been scanning the forums here trying to ensure that we have done everything right and won't get a RFE.

I have two questions, the first is fairly simple, my husband can't remember the exact dates of one job he had, if he's off by a month will that matter?

Second question, when we got married in California, the marriage certificate had a line for new last name, being my married name, I chose not to change my name as I didn't want to have to come back home and change all my documents at the time and figured I'd do it after we were living in the same country. But this morning I was reading an older post, and the replies seemed to be that the non-USC wife should fill out the I130 with the husband's name that she wants to use in the states as the social security number will be issued in this name. So I guess I've really got a few questions about this,

1. should I fill out the I130 under my married name?

2. will I need to change my passport in Canada before the interview/visa completion process?

3. if I chose to do the visa process under my maiden name is it fairly easy to change the documents to my married name once in California?

Thanks in advance

I130 sent May 31, 2011

I130 NOA1 June 3, 2011

I130 NOA2 Sept 27, 2011

Case Complete May 31, 2012

Interview scheduled June 5, 2012 for July 16, 2012

Medical June 19, 2012

Rescheduled interview for June 26, 2012

APPROVED!

Email received passport picked up by Loomis June 26, 2012

Passport received June 27, 2012 Loomis location

POE July 2, 2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My USC husband and I are trying to finalize the I130 to submit, and I've been scanning the forums here trying to ensure that we have done everything right and won't get a RFE.

I have two questions, the first is fairly simple, my husband can't remember the exact dates of one job he had, if he's off by a month will that matter?

Second question, when we got married in California, the marriage certificate had a line for new last name, being my married name, I chose not to change my name as I didn't want to have to come back home and change all my documents at the time and figured I'd do it after we were living in the same country. But this morning I was reading an older post, and the replies seemed to be that the non-USC wife should fill out the I130 with the husband's name that she wants to use in the states as the social security number will be issued in this name. So I guess I've really got a few questions about this,

1. should I fill out the I130 under my married name?

2. will I need to change my passport in Canada before the interview/visa completion process?

3. if I chose to do the visa process under my maiden name is it fairly easy to change the documents to my married name once in California?

Thanks in advance

Q1 a month off not a problem

It's a given that you are now Mrs------- yes? You aren't called by your previous name? You can change your name once you are here in the states as you will just have to show your marriage certificate. It's not a big deal to change names.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Yeah I'm a Mrs--- but I've never used that name since getting married and all my ID is still under my maiden name, including my passport. So I'm worried that if I apply under Mrs--- that I'll have to change my passport before the interview, would this be the case?

I130 sent May 31, 2011

I130 NOA1 June 3, 2011

I130 NOA2 Sept 27, 2011

Medical June 19, 2012

APPROVED!

POE July 2, 2012

Timeline

We are having the same problem. I submitted all our paperwork under my wifes new name, intending to change it once she got to the states.

When she did her Choice of Agent online it very clearly states "You must use the name on your passport".

So, a bunch of frantic calls and I was presented with two options - legally change her name in Canada to the new name (new passports take about 6-8 weeks) or revert back to her maiden name on all new paperwork.

I choose to revert back to her maiden name and am now praying we have no issues.

The second or third person I talked to at NVC said it shouldn't be an issue.

Timeline

bigbigblake, did you and your wife get married in California?

I130 sent May 31, 2011

I130 NOA1 June 3, 2011

I130 NOA2 Sept 27, 2011

Medical June 19, 2012

APPROVED!

POE July 2, 2012

Timeline

Oh ok, the reason I asked was I wondered if you maybe knew something about the Name Equality Act that California has. From what I've read some states just require the marriage licence for a name change, but in California you're supposed to decide this at the time you apply for a marriage licence....didn't realize this would be a problem for the visa :(

If your wife is from Ontario she can go into a passport office and request a rush, she could pick up the passport the next day.

I130 sent May 31, 2011

I130 NOA1 June 3, 2011

I130 NOA2 Sept 27, 2011

Medical June 19, 2012

APPROVED!

POE July 2, 2012

Timeline

Oh ok, the reason I asked was I wondered if you maybe knew something about the Name Equality Act that California has. From what I've read some states just require the marriage licence for a name change, but in California you're supposed to decide this at the time you apply for a marriage licence....didn't realize this would be a problem for the visa :(

If your wife is from Ontario she can go into a passport office and request a rush, she could pick up the passport the next day.

Yeah, here all we have to do is take the marriage certificate to the SSN office and then get DL updated. Just never felt the need to do it until she could move here.

Timeline

Yeah, here all we have to do is take the marriage certificate to the SSN office and then get DL updated. Just never felt the need to do it until she could move here.

Your wife and I are in the exact same position then. As long as she can take the marriage certificate into the SSN office then hopefully hers will be fairly easy to change after she moves.

According the name change act, I guess I should've put my married name on the marriage certificate, but I wasn't planning on using it until I'd moved, and now looks like I might have to do a legal name change at the california courts, but I can't do that without being there.....so, do I wait and change it after the visa process, when I'll have to change SSN, GC, whatever else....or can I apply for that to be in married name when submitting the petition, and then just do the court name change once I'm living there....

I130 sent May 31, 2011

I130 NOA1 June 3, 2011

I130 NOA2 Sept 27, 2011

Medical June 19, 2012

APPROVED!

POE July 2, 2012

My wife changed her name at POE. We simply asked the customs officer at the secondary screening interview and he filled in one form and she signed it. Her GC, SSN and all other documents now use her married name. Her passport is still in her maiden name so she has to carry a copy of our marriage license if she leaves the country. It's a little harder to change the passport name in Colombia than here and Canada. Just wanted to throw that out at you as an option.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.