fjb1122

Religion & Tithing [split topic]

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Tell God that from now on you will trust that He is satisfied with your contributions to Him not being in the form of USD...

Matter of fact tell Him anything you want: He never talks back and He really is ALL EARS!!!

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Agreed. But earlier the original poster mentioned a lack of programs for the poor or other projects. If there is a lack of productive stuff; well, then maybe it's time to look at where the funds are going.

I would suggest following Danno's advice and look at other churches. It could be fun visiting other churches and finding one that you enjoy as a couple.

Yes I agree, know your church.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and I came with a resolution. Yesterday, he came home from work, and probably worried about the Sundays ahead, he was crying and explaining that he was worried about what his church mates including his own sister, would say about me, once we either stop going or attend at another church. This to him seems awkward at the moment and while we are living under the same roof with his sister, he doesn't want any conflict as it happened with his ex-wife.

He knew it was a hard decision for me, because I'm of the type who stands for what I believe is right esp on matters of principles. But as a wife, I love my husband that I do not want him to worry that much, so I told him, I will just pray on my own when we go to their church, and that he should cut his offerings, and yes, literally convert the idea of his tithe into giving instead, as this will no longer become ten percent of his income. Seriously, Malachi 3:8-10 does not have an appeal to me especially when used by the pastor to milk resources from the church goers. I trust that our Lord has written the laws of love in our hearts and that we should abide by this covenant more than anything else, and that is where our salvation lies, not in paying indulgences to the pastor.

As to the issue of the pastor's misspending, in the mean time, for as long as we are giving less than usual, I am okay that means he has less to misuse. But as soon as I get a job and save up, we would move out from our in-laws, that way I would not have to deal with his sister when we decide to change church.

It is not easy having to go to a church you do not feel like going, but I will just talk to God the whole time I am there and refrain from hearing evil as the pastor and his wife preach on the law to give your money even in instances when you have problems with your bills (he said, the more you should give to the church) or to stop saving money as your salvation lies not on earthly riches blah, blah, blah. (crazy) You see they have this usual bit for instance " One day I wanted to feed ten to fifteen people, but I really have no money, but one day someone handed me an envelope with 300 dollars in it, for no reason", blah,blah,blah. This is to strengthen their argument that even if you have money, it will come so just sit back, relax, don't hesitate to give them your money.

I think my husband is happy with me still going, for the sake of halting an anticipated conflict in the future with my in-laws. While it is against my free will, I know love never fails, and I pray that people like these religious leaders would find true joy by living a simple life, and still want to preach to encourage people how to live a Godly life, and not concentrate on tithe preaching.

May 24, 2010- non USC arrived on B2

Sept. 2010- USC & non-USC introduced by a friend on FB

Oct. 10, 2010- USC & non-USC met

Oct-Nov 2010- dating, fell in love

Nov. 23, 2010- B2 expired

January 11, 2011- married at Christian Church and living together

March 11, 2011- i-485, i-130 & i-765 filed via USPS(Day 1)

March 14, 2011- Packet received at Chicago Lockbox (Day 3)

March 17, 2011- Email Notifications received from USCIS of their receipt of the packet, and transferring to NBC. (Day 6)

March 17, 2011- Checks cashed by USCIS (Day 6)

March 21, 2011- Received NOA1 (Day 10)

April 4, 2011- Received Biometrics for i-765

April 8, 2011- Plan for Early Walk-In, and inquiry about i-485 biometrics (SUCCESSFUL)

April 22- I-485 Touched, I-130 and I-765 (still initial review status)

April 23- Received Appointment Letter for Green Card Interview set on May 24, 2011 (Wish me Luck!!!)

May 12, 2011- Received EAD Card!!!

May 13, 2011- Will go get SSN

May 19, 2011- Got my SS Card in the Mail :)

May 24, 2011- Interview Date for Green Card (Successful!!! Card Production Ordered)

Waiting for the Green Card!!! :):):)

June 2, 2011- GREEN CARD IS HERE!!!

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME and ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!!!

Timeline

My husband and I came with a resolution. Yesterday, he came home from work, and probably worried about the Sundays ahead, he was crying and explaining that he was worried about what his church mates including his own sister, would say about me, once we either stop going or attend at another church. This to him seems awkward at the moment and while we are living under the same roof with his sister, he doesn't want any conflict as it happened with his ex-wife.

He knew it was a hard decision for me, because I'm of the type who stands for what I believe is right esp on matters of principles. But as a wife, I love my husband that I do not want him to worry that much, so I told him, I will just pray on my own when we go to their church, and that he should cut his offerings, and yes, literally convert the idea of his tithe into giving instead, as this will no longer become ten percent of his income. Seriously, Malachi 3:8-10 does not have an appeal to me especially when used by the pastor to milk resources from the church goers. I trust that our Lord has written the laws of love in our hearts and that we should abide by this covenant more than anything else, and that is where our salvation lies, not in paying indulgences to the pastor.

As to the issue of the pastor's misspending, in the mean time, for as long as we are giving less than usual, I am okay that means he has less to misuse. But as soon as I get a job and save up, we would move out from our in-laws, that way I would not have to deal with his sister when we decide to change church.

It is not easy having to go to a church you do not feel like going, but I will just talk to God the whole time I am there and refrain from hearing evil as the pastor and his wife preach on the law to give your money even in instances when you have problems with your bills (he said, the more you should give to the church) or to stop saving money as your salvation lies not on earthly riches blah, blah, blah. (crazy) You see they have this usual bit for instance " One day I wanted to feed ten to fifteen people, but I really have no money, but one day someone handed me an envelope with 300 dollars in it, for no reason", blah,blah,blah. This is to strengthen their argument that even if you have money, it will come so just sit back, relax, don't hesitate to give them your money.

I think my husband is happy with me still going, for the sake of halting an anticipated conflict in the future with my in-laws. While it is against my free will, I know love never fails, and I pray that people like these religious leaders would find true joy by living a simple life, and still want to preach to encourage people how to live a Godly life, and not concentrate on tithe preaching.

Oh and by the way, that other pastor who said he doesn't have money to feed ten to fifteen people has a M-Benz, and properties, so yeah, he is POOR he doesn't have money at all.

March 17, 2011- Email Notifications received from USCIS of their receipt of the packet, and transferring to NBC. (Day 6)

April 8, 2011- Plan for Early Walk-In, and inquiry about i-485 biometrics (SUCCESSFUL)

April 23- Received Appointment Letter for Green Card Interview set on May 24, 2011 (Wish me Luck!!!)

May 24, 2011- Interview Date for Green Card (Successful!!! Card Production Ordered)

Pointing out how someone drives a Benz and has a number of properties sounds like envy to me.

It seemed to me she was questioning the sincerity of his statements; not envying his possessions.

Timeline

I'm not envious at all. I am sorry if you misunderstood. I said so in relation to his statement that he "has no money". Logically speaking, how can that happen when you have all those properties, etc. I mean who is kidding who here? Oh and by the way, my husband's crying is really no drama. Coz he had been cheated by his ex wife four times (4 different guys), all his previous girlfriends cheated on him, etc. And all of them seemed to lie to him, and well, he is gullible. So, you can see here why he is easily persuaded by the pastors, esp when they make reference to the BIble on Malachi 3:8-10, seems to me he is so afraid that the Lord will get mad at him if he doesn't give to church. But I have managed to convey to him how we should be led by the Holy Spirit,a that love in itself by doing good and following the Lord's commandments is incomparable to whatever tithes you are giving.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not envious at all. I am sorry if you misunderstood. I said so in relation to his statement that he "has no money". Logically speaking, how can that happen when you have all those properties, etc.

Easily, if he is underwater on his mortgages and can't make the payments.

I have managed to convey to him how we should be led by the Holy Spirit

Good idea - the Holy Spirit is the nicest of the three.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Cafeteria religion is the best.

The use of that verse in Malachi by ANY Christian pastor to encourage donations IS cafeteria religion. The Book of Hebrews makes it very clear that the local church is NOT the Temple. A church is a worthy thing to donate to, but when a pastor stands up and declares with a straight face that Christians are obliged to tithe to it because of OT law, they are showing themselves as either massively ignorant, deeply confused, or simply greedy.

Just as all Christians are now priests (in the sense of the Hebrew Law) with Jesus Christ as our High Priest, our bodies are now the only temples of the Holy Spirit. To follow the directive in Malachi we would have to deliver our tithes to ourselves! :) For a pastor to ignore this and demand tithes is to put his church in the place of the Temple, and that's just wrong, and disingenuous to boot. Pastors have to do an in-depth study of the book of Hebrews in seminary, so they can't claim ignorance either.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland