W&M

Process from NOA2 to Interview

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Was hoping to gain a little knowledge from those who have already went through the interview process or going through the process now. Call it jumping the gun, having zero patience or simply being very cautious. I would like to know how the process is handled after the NOA2 is received. I do not want to read some informational document, been there done that. I have heard that geographical area plays a big part in the process, is this true? What can we expect after receiving our NOA2? My fiance is in Brazil. All input is greatly appriciated, I definitely want to be more than prepared! Any thoughts or warnings would be helpful as well. Thank you all!

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

08/04/2010 In Love and starting the process

10/21/2010 My first trip to Brazil, Wonderful time

11/15/2010 Sent application for K1

11/22/2010 Application received Vermont Service Center

11/24/2010 Back on a plane to Brazil. Just cannot stay away for too long

12/01/2010 Recieved NOA1 The countdown begins

12/30/2010 Back on a plane to Brazil--Spending New Years Eve with my baby :)

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

05/12/2011 NOA2 Hardcopy received

05/17/2011 NVC Received file

05/19/2011 Consulate Received

06/14/2011 Interview-----APPROVED

06/22/2011 POE Aruba, on the way to Washington DC

as1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA.gif

http://www.ticker.7910.org/dtas1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

OP, I don't have a lot of advice for you since I just got my NOA2 and am a little hazy on exactly what happens now. I too have read the guides and flowcharts and am still a little confused. I don't know what we can do *now* and what we have to wait for packet 3 on. Particularly the police records/ military records. Do we just need a case number to get the ball rolling on those, or do you need packet 3 first? Also, am worried about the Affidavit of Support because it only requests 1 year of documents, but I know that some people are asked for 3 years, so I don't trust the instructions. It's tricky because I don't want to mess up but I want it to go as fast as possible...

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Was hoping to gain a little knowledge from those who have already went through the interview process or going through the process now. Call it jumping the gun, having zero patience or simply being very cautious. I would like to know how the process is handled after the NOA2 is received. I do not want to read some informational document, been there done that. I have heard that geographical area plays a big part in the process, is this true? What can we expect after receiving our NOA2? My fiance is in Brazil. All input is greatly appriciated, I definitely want to be more than prepared! Any thoughts or warnings would be helpful as well. Thank you all!

Well every country does this part of the process differently. I know you don't want to read anymore, but you might want to check out the Regional Discussion Forum for your country.

From my experience: I contacted NVC to see if they have received our petition and they will give you a new case number. Typically the petition remains with NVC for only a few days and then it is forwarded to the embassy. I contacted the embassy requested the packets and interview date. They replied a few weeks later. In the meantime, we began working on our income/employer papers, medicals, police reports, etc. Like I said, this is not the same process for every country but perhaps it will give you the general idea of what to expect.

02iqn7wnr.png

Timeline

Thank you much for the information, is greatly appriciated :)

Wally & Malena

Our TimeLine

08/04/2010 In Love and starting the process

10/21/2010 My first trip to Brazil, Wonderful time

11/15/2010 Sent application for K1

11/22/2010 Application received Vermont Service Center

11/24/2010 Back on a plane to Brazil. Just cannot stay away for too long

12/01/2010 Recieved NOA1 The countdown begins

12/30/2010 Back on a plane to Brazil--Spending New Years Eve with my baby :)

05/09/2011 Received NOA2

05/12/2011 NOA2 Hardcopy received

05/17/2011 NVC Received file

05/19/2011 Consulate Received

06/14/2011 Interview-----APPROVED

06/22/2011 POE Aruba, on the way to Washington DC

as1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA.gif

http://www.ticker.7910.org/dtas1cJQm0g410510MDAwNDZsfDAwOTAxNGx8U2luY2UgVmlzYSBBcHByb3ZhbA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So my fiance is in Brazil also. The interviews for K1 ONLY happen in Rio. Doesn't matter where you live in Brazil, Rio handles these Visas. OK, so your fiance can get police certificates. There are 2 different ones you need. She needs to get her vaccination records. If she doesn't have them or the ones required, she can start on vaccinations. That way, when she goes to her medical, which can be scheduled after you get a case # from NVC after NOA2. Nowadays, if she listed an email address, the "packet" you are referring to comes as a PDF through the email. If not she will get a packet. As for you, you need to begin looking at the affidavit of support instructions. You will need a letter from your bank, letter from your employer, last 3 years tax returns, and last 6 months pay stubs. OK, someone will definitely say this is too much, but I DO know what I am talking about as I have already talked to dozens of others going through Rio and it can vary from being so easy that the interview takes a minute, to the extreme of wanting much more. So, why worry about needing more. My theory is that we are going in there with ALL our evidence, no reason what so ever to deny us. (JUST MY OPINION) I will find the links to all the info that Mari and I have been reading for months now. We are waiting on our interview date as we just got our NOA2 on March 22. A friend of ours just got approved yesterday in Rio and I am waiting to talk to him and find out the details. I hope this helps. You can send me an email if you want to ask any other questions.

Boa Sorte,

John and Marina

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

SO P.S. about the tax return info. If you read the affidavit instructions, it claims you only need tax returns if you are self employed. I know one person who went to the interview without that information and even showed them the instructions printed out for the affidavit. They were denied for not showing sufficient evidence to support here in the US. I will reiterate, each consulate does it differently. Is it fair? Guess not, but it is a reality.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

PDF of instructions from Rio Consulate website for K1. Excellent link

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/164149/2011/InstInterv_letterFiancee_Eng_feb11.pdf

Another great link with information from Consulate in Rio

http://brazil.usembassy.gov/interview/forms-for-fiancee-visas.html

These 2 links have been the most helpful for us. Hope this helps anyone who has a fiance(e) in Brazil.

John & Marina

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

SO P.S. about the tax return info. If you read the affidavit instructions, it claims you only need tax returns if you are self employed. I know one person who went to the interview without that information and even showed them the instructions printed out for the affidavit. They were denied for not showing sufficient evidence to support here in the US. I will reiterate, each consulate does it differently. Is it fair? Guess not, but it is a reality.

Thanks - so ridiculous that they don't follow the instructions! Plus, I talked to an immigration lawyer about it and he said at some consulates they don't even require an affidavit of support. That's news to me (and my guess is that even if it's true, it's the vast minority of the time) so I want to start to prepare beforehand anyway. Basically, the lawyer thought I was jumping the gun in asking him any questions about any of the forms because we haven't gotten our instructions yet. I don't necessarily agree, but it was interesting to hear him be so adamant that each consulate is completely different.

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

Timeline

Also depending on where your Fiancee lives W&M, you can obtain both police reports online and they accept them as such [i did email Rio to double check and they said yes, see email below] (need to have them validated, which you do online also and just print off the validation).

I know that if your fiancee lives in Sao Paulo State, you can go to their government website http://www.ssp.sp.gov.br/ go to Servicos and click "Atestado de Antecedentes" and after you fill in the information, Bam, you have your State Police Certificate. Sorta the same with the Federal Police one as well, though you go to www.dpf.gov.br and do the same.

Email to Rio on Police Certs from Online:

Prezado sr.

Aceitamos os certificados online emitidos pelas autoridades policiais.

Atenciosamente,

Consular Communications Office

United States Consulate General

Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil

------------------

Also I recommend getting any documents such as birth certificates translated into English in Brazil, as it is cheaper and easier to do than here in the U.S. Also you will need the birth certificate translation for A.O.S. once you are married.

Edited by Blob18

Timeline

Also depending on where your Fiancee lives W&M, you can obtain both police reports online and they accept them as such [i did email Rio to double check and they said yes, see email below] (need to have them validated, which you do online also and just print off the validation).

I know that if your fiancee lives in Sao Paulo State, you can go to their government website http://www.ssp.sp.gov.br/ go to Servicos and click "Atestado de Antecedentes" and after you fill in the information, Bam, you have your State Police Certificate. Sorta the same with the Federal Police one as well, though you go to www.dpf.gov.br and do the same.

Email to Rio on Police Certs from Online:

Prezado sr.

Aceitamos os certificados online emitidos pelas autoridades policiais.

Atenciosamente,

Consular Communications Office

United States Consulate General

Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil

------------------

Also I recommend getting any documents such as birth certificates translated into English in Brazil, as it is cheaper and easier to do than here in the U.S. Also you will need the birth certificate translation for A.O.S. once you are married.

BLOB18, thanks for this information as Mari and I have been stressing over the federal certificate. She can't miss work to go get it and we were wondering what to do. She lives in Sao Paulo.

thanks again for all the good links and info we help with one another.

John

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

BLOB18, thanks for this information as Mari and I have been stressing over the federal certificate. She can't miss work to go get it and we were wondering what to do. She lives in Sao Paulo.

thanks again for all the good links and info we help with one another.

John

No problem. All she needs for online is her passport, CPF, and know her parents full name etc, among other little bits of info. Process online takes maybe 5-10 minutes and most of that is spent typing in the information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.