Anwarmalik

Need help in K1 visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All.

I am a new user of this website. I found this website really helpfull. I need some information about applying K1 visa.

Well, I am Pakistani National seeking asylum in Ireland. My fiance is US citizen. We met in Ireland during one of her Visit to Ireland. We got Engaged last month when She came back again to Ireland.

When I applied for asylum, I submitted my Original Passport to Irish Refugee council. So right now I dont have Original Passport with me. All I have photocopies of my passport.

Now we both are thinking to apply for K1 visa next month. My question is that Am I eligible to apply for visa and how we will do it. I can get my passport back once I get my visa for US?

So is there any who can give me more quide line.

I would be thankful to this forum. :)

Malik

Hello All.

I am a new user of this website. I found this website really helpfull. I need some information about applying K1 visa.

Well, I am Pakistani National seeking asylum in Ireland. My fiance is US citizen. We met in Ireland during one of her Visit to Ireland. We got Engaged last month when She came back again to Ireland.

When I applied for asylum, I submitted my Original Passport to Irish Refugee council. So right now I dont have Original Passport with me. All I have photocopies of my passport.

Now we both are thinking to apply for K1 visa next month. My question is that Am I eligible to apply for visa and how we will do it. I can get my passport back once I get my visa for US?

So is there any who can give me more quide line.

I would be thankful to this forum. :)

Malik

Yes - you are eligible for a K-1 - as long as both of you meet the requirements.

You may wish to wait to see what happens in Ireland prior to attempting the K-1 - you need to be "settled" somewhere (for interviews, etc...) - you will need your original passport at some point.

I have seen where they required the person to go back to the home country for the interview (however, your case is complicated by the asylum request).

I am not sure of the requirements for Ireland for asylum - asking back for your passport may stop the case for asylum. (and that may make you go back to your home country)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Yes - you are eligible for a K-1 - as long as both of you meet the requirements.

You may wish to wait to see what happens in Ireland prior to attempting the K-1 - you need to be "settled" somewhere (for interviews, etc...) - you will need your original passport at some point.

I have seen where they required the person to go back to the home country for the interview (however, your case is complicated by the asylum request).

I am not sure of the requirements for Ireland for asylum - asking back for your passport may stop the case for asylum. (and that may make you go back to your home country)

First thanks for spending ur time for me.... Well you are right. I may have to return to home country. I already have spoke to my solicitor and they are looking on this case.

Me and my fiance we both want to be together as soon as possible. :)

Thanks again :)

First thanks for spending ur time for me.... Well you are right. I may have to return to home country. I already have spoke to my solicitor and they are looking on this case.

Me and my fiance we both want to be together as soon as possible. :)

Thanks again :)

Should we start process by next month or should I wait until I get some result In ireland?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would start the process now. You won't need your actual passport till the interview which is 8-12 months away, and will have plenty of notice of that, so can request it back from the Irish authorities then if they still have it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I would start the process now. You won't need your actual passport till the interview which is 8-12 months away, and will have plenty of notice of that, so can request it back from the Irish authorities then if they still have it.

Ohhh. So it means we can start our process and I can wait for my actual passport when I go for interview. I think I can have it back that time. But one more question. Will the US embassy accept my case when I do not have any legal status in Ireland since I am asylum seeker and my case is still in process? Will they accept this case? I mean US embassy in Ireland.

Thanks dear:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe you, as the beneficiary, may apply from anywhere - you don't have to apply from your home country and you can choose the consulate you'd like to be interviewed at when you fill in the I129f paperwork.

The difficulty you will face is in proving the validity of your relationship. I don't know you and I am assuming your intentions are sincere but after reading about the immigration process on this website for the last several months, it sounds like very nearly all Pakistani nationals (especially males) go through a rather long period of Administrative Processing after their interviews no matter where they live. Additionally, because you are seeking asylum, even if you are granted it before the interview, your relationship will likely be scrutinized more deeply to be sure you are not opportunistically attempting to improve your fortunes in the States by any means. I do hope that wiser members will correct me if I am wrong, and I know you two want to be together very soon, but I would prepare yourselves for a much longer than average process :(

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

I believe you, as the beneficiary, may apply from anywhere - you don't have to apply from your home country and you can choose the consulate you'd like to be interviewed at when you fill in the I129f paperwork.

The difficulty you will face is in proving the validity of your relationship. I don't know you and I am assuming your intentions are sincere but after reading about the immigration process on this website for the last several months, it sounds like very nearly all Pakistani nationals (especially males) go through a rather long period of Administrative Processing after their interviews no matter where they live. Additionally, because you are seeking asylum, even if you are granted it before the interview, your relationship will likely be scrutinized more deeply to be sure you are not opportunistically attempting to improve your fortunes in the States by any means. I do hope that wiser members will correct me if I am wrong, and I know you two want to be together very soon, but I would prepare yourselves for a much longer than average process :(

I understand this difficulty. I do not understand what you mean by ...proving the validity of our relationship.?

Timeline

I am not sure, but I would think as you are currently legally in Ireland, you can interview there.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

It depends on where you want to get married; I don;t think either is easier to get.

The K1 has the advantage that you can apply now (assuming you have met in person in the last two years), but it is more expensive and it takes 3-6 months from when you get married in the USA until you can work.

The CR-1 (spousal visa) will take longer (esp. as she would need to make travel arrangements first), but it is cheaper and once you arrive in the USA, you can work right away as you get a "temporary greencard stamp" in your passport at the airport.

If you decide to get married in Ireland, look into Irish laws before making plans; unless things have changed in the last few years you need to serve 3 months notice, and the foreign spouse needs to be in Ireland for 30 days before you can get married.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.