vnt

Pink Too

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. What the other person said in another thread is certainly true. They allow the fiance' into the room, as I easily went in. In fact, the guards indicated to me that I could cut in line to go to the front (I politely demured). When we got in at 8:30, we were called to submit documents at about 10:30. Curiously, they did not take the tax transcripts, nor the tax returns. The ONLY financial documents they kept were a 2009 W-2 (not even the 2010 W-2!), I-184, and the Employment letter. The intake officer only glancingly looked at bank acccount information but never kept it. Once the documents were submitted, we only waited about 30 minutes for the interview.

Before my fiance's interview I walked up and down the rows watching people being interviewed. I saw far more pinks than blues. The overwhelming number of interviews were conducted in Vietnamese, and with the K-1's, not many of the US fiance's were there. Most interviews were over in less than 5 minutes. Anecdotally, the male COs seemed quite easy and engaging, while the female COs seemed a bit tougher. When my fiance's number was called, I walked up behind her and the CO asked me to sit down (ie. about 3 meters from where the interview took place). As the other "pink" noted, I just wanted to show her I was there. In every single case I saw, the COs perused and asked questions about photos. It seems they couldn't care less about chat-logs, phone-logs, and other written evidence. Photos are critical and have a lot of them!

My fiance's interview lasted about 20 minutes. They ONLY looked at photos. Questions that I can remember were as follows:

1. What is your fiance's profession? What is your profession?

2. Have you met his kids? Has he met your kids? They wanted photos of each other with our kids. We had some, yet not others.

3. They asked my fiance' the cause of her divorce.

4. They asked why my fiance had a relationship with me while I was still married.

5. They asked what her plans were to get married once in the US.

6. How many trips did you make together?

Our perceived red-flags were, as with other cases, divorce and quick re-filing and the fact of a relationship while the petitioner was still married. The CO focused on the weak parts of the case, yet ultimately provided pink (the CO was an approximately 35-year old American woman). No other evidence was asked for (even the medical exam done in SOS was acceptable and not opened by the CO).

Overall, the experience was pleasant, efficient, and generally fair. The American CO was very polite, but her translator was a battle-axe. We made one really big error: despite our meticulousness in preparing the evidence, we were not aware that her child had to also attend the interview (extremely stupid on our part, I know). The VN translator spoke angrily to my fiance', saying things like "You will leave you children behind? You don't care about them?" Once the interview ceased, they gave her pink and her children blue. Her children's interview (they are young) will have to be re-scheduled, although pink is really an afterthought. The COs will ask the kids questions, so for those of you with kids, prepare for that.

My advice is to get there early, as it interviews were done on a first-come, first-serve basis, as I paid close attention to order in which people first submitted their initial evidence, and then finally the order in which they were interviewed. The really great thing is that you can walk up and down watching (slyly) people being interviewed. In nearly every case I say there was a pink sheet on the table.

I have a question for you all: I wrote the consulate an email asking them to quickly re-schedule my fiance's childrens' interview. Do you know how long that would normally take? I would guess one month, as that's what it took from the P3 to P4 (and P4 to the actual interview date). As the mistake was ours and not the consulate's, I wasn't sure, and I figure we are now in the annals of couples who did something no one in their right mind did in the past. Nevertheless, the hard part is over.

2nd question: our petition expires March 31st, 2011. If the children's interviews occur after that date, is that big problem (I'm not sure, as my fiance' can pick up her visa in 7 days' time).

That's a great after-action review. It's nice to walk around inside watching the interview huh. Both times I had to sit on the little plastic stool across the street.

The rescheduled interview is up to the Consulate, can't really tell approx. how long it will take. I also emailed and requested one to be expedited and it took about 3 weeks.

For the 2nd question, I think the Consulate will extend it when they reschedule your interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Great news.. take a moment and fill in your VJ timeline..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congratulations! :dance:

Thanks for posting the interview details. It is very helpful when members do this. People that haven't interviewed get an idea of what to expect. :thumbs:

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Congratulations. It's great that you posted the interview with details like that.

Mar 2009: Met online

May 2009: First trip to VN to see her

Aug 2009: Proposed

Sep 2009: Proposal accepted

Oct 2009: Affidavit of Single obtained

Dec 2009: Second trip to VN for marriage

Jan 2010: Married

Feb 2010: Filed CR1

Mar 2010: Third trip to VN

Apr 2010: Approval notice from USCIS

Jul 2010: IV & AOS fees paid

Feb 2011: Fourth trip to VN... our first anniversary

Apr 2011: Interview... asking for timeline, 10 year residency, ex's address, etc.

May 2011: Submission of requested documents. Pink!

Jun 2011: Fifth trip to VN to travel with her to the States.

mHPbp7.png

Beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello. What the other person said in another thread is certainly true. They allow the fiance' into the room, as I easily went in. In fact, the guards indicated to me that I could cut in line to go to the front (I politely demured).

Before my fiance's interview I walked up and down the rows watching people being interviewed. I saw far more pinks than blues.

My fiance's interview lasted about 20 minutes. They ONLY looked at photos. Questions that I can remember were as follows:

Overall, the experience was pleasant, efficient, and generally fair. The American CO was very polite, but her translator was a battle-axe.

My advice is to get there early, as it interviews were done on a first-come, first-serve basis, as I paid close attention to order in which people first submitted their initial evidence, and then finally the order in which they were interviewed. The really great thing is that you can walk up and down watching (slyly) people being interviewed. In nearly every case I say there was a pink sheet on the table.

Re: fiances in the waiting area; yes, but not only. On my fiancee's interview date, I saw entire families accompany the interviewee to the interview. Like you, only the interviewee is allowed at the window. I did see one case where an elderly women, in her 70's to 80's accompanied by, I assume, her son. He was allowed to accompany the interviewee to the window because she couldn't hear or understand or something, because he basically repeated everything to the old woman. As for cutting in line. If your interview was at 9:30, then anyone with a US passport can also enter the consulate. If you were there for a notary, then you don't need to stand in line. The line is only for interviews. Perhaps the guard thought you were there for something else.

Re: the number of pinks on the table; I should note that the people there for interviews are not all K1 or CR1 visas. Many are family petition immigration. They also have interviews in that area. I know, because on my fiancee's interview date, we saw a female monk also there for an interview. I'm pretty sure she wasn't there for a K1 visa. ;-) Also, when we went back to submit documents for the blue slip, my fiancee spoke with a woman who is there to submit an update to her health exam. It seems at the her interview, her husband and child got pink, but she got blue. Her husband left for the US, while she waited until then to submit her new exam documents. She got pink. As for getting blue slips, I saw people getting blue slips multiple times. My fiancee got blue twice (actually, the second time was white). We submitted the requested docs and got pink.

Re: photos; I agree. During the interview, the CO went through our photos one by one. We had at least 200 photos submitted. The CO went through the photos pretty quick though. So I don't know what she was looking for. After looking through the photos, the CO mainly looked at the computer screen during the interview process. Even though the CO did not look through the mail, cards, and phone logs, they did take them. But only the Vietnam side. I.e. the mail, cards and phone logs at my end were returned during the intake session. They took my fiancee's phone logs and the mail and cards that I sent her.

Re: the CO; I think you had the same CO I did. My fiancee's interpreter was also a battle axe. We sat outside this CO's window and watched many interviews taking place. The interpreter was rude to many of the interviewees. My fiancee prayed she wouldn't get this CO, but she did. Was your CO's initials DS? We got blue twice, so she signed the blue slip DS. This CO was very nice though. After the interview, my fiancee got blue, so she wanted to ask some questions. The interpreter snapped and said she was off duty and ran away (my fiancee was one of the last to be interviewed). The CO was still there, so I was able to ask a few questions. She was nice enough to answer all my questions and gave me directions on how to submit the requested documents.

Re: order of interview; the first-come, first-serve order is only true on a per CO basis. In other words, each CO will process the petition in the order that he/she receives them. But different CO's can process their own petitions on their own timeline. So if you were number 5066, then 5067 could be interviewed before you because he/she had a different CO and that CO processed petitions faster than your CO. We saw this situation many times on our interview date.

Re: walking around; yes, people are allowed to walk around the waiting area. During my fiancee's interview, there was this teenager who accompanied her sister to the interview (most likely a family petition). This teenager would walk around and then stand right next to the interview window. The windows are slightly slanted (facing at an angle). Thus, you can stand behind a wall and the interviewer would not see you. This teenager, on multiple occasions, would stand behind this wall and listened in on the interview of other people. Of course, this wasn't really necessary. The waiting area is about 1.5 meters from the windows. Thus, if you had a good ear, you can hear everything. Assuming you understood Vietnamese, as all of the interviews we heard were done in Vietnamese.

One last observation; I should mention that you might not receive your results on the date of your interview or submission of documents. Personal experience, when we submitted documents requested by the blue slip, the CO had too many petitions to review and was not able to open our file. Thus, we were asked to go home and wait for a letter. Luckily, our CO was walking by and I spoke with her. She promised to review our file within the week. We received a letter (a white slip) two weeks later.

--jc

P.S. there are no clocks in the waiting area. So wear a watch or walk to window 11 or 12 to look at the clock inside the consulate offices. Note; when we were there to pickup the visas, all of the windows had their shades down so you couldn't see the offices. Thus, wear a watch if you really want to know the time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for the great after reaction review! It's such details that gave me so many clues what I should focus on too (not that I will slack on otherS) thank you man

07/2001 .............Met Huong when she's 14

01/23/10 ............Re-Met through Family, spoke on Skype.

Visa Journey

CR-1 Visa Journey

10/20/10 ............VN w/ Dad & Son

11/05/10 ............Married

01/25/11 ............I-130 sent (Chicago Lockbox)

01/27/11 ............I-130 delivered

01/27/11.............NOA1

03/07/11.............Touched

03/08/11 ............Back in US for Federal 2011 Taxes

03/26/11 ............Ultrasound - BABY BOY

05/24/11 ............Request for Evidence (E-Notice/Online Verified)

05/26/11 ............RFE Rec & Sent - Wanted 2 Copy Certified Divorce Decree

06/06/11 ............NOA2 Online - NVC Here I come

06/11/11 ............NOA2 in Hand

National Visa Center

06/16/11 ........... Wife mail DS230 Part 1 Signed to US address

-- including passport photos, her passport, police certificate

-- plus 3 certified copies of each.

06/24/11 ........... NVC Case # Assigned (Phone Check)

-- Choice of Agent selection via mailing DS-3032

07/18/11 ........... Mailed IV & i-864

07/20/11 ........... Package IV & i-864 NVC recived

08/11/11 ........... Case Completed

Consulate Journey

08/19/11 ........... NVC E-Mail Interview Set

for 9/23/2011

08/30/11 - New born baby.

09/05/11 - Report Birth Abroad

10/03/11 - Nguyen Thanh Phu passport received in hand.

10/17/11 - Interview reschedule 11/14/11

11/14/11 - Rescheduled Interview

congrats.. keep the more pink coming..

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.