Chris M

Best Calling Card or VoIP to call Russia? Skype? Magic Jack?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Also what I do now is I bought a skype US number for the year and now it's free for people in the US to call me from cell phones or landlines. I have skype on my iphone and unlimited 3G data for ten roubles a day, so it's super convenient. I seriously have a better cell phone plan and internet service here than my family and friends do in the US.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We use skype to talk to our son. My MIL will not go near computers so that is out for her. We use the "Continental" card from "PennyBoss" for phone calls. It gives a record of calls and PINless dialing. We refill it online. Very easy, very convenient, documents calls for those that need that. Excellent rates also and reliable service (as relaible as it gets with calling cards)

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What about for Russian family to call back to the US? What's the best way for family both in and outside of the major cities (Moscow and St. Petersburg)? Considering buying a Magic Jack to send to my fiancee's parents, because I think that I read that calls are free to the US and Canada worldwide.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

What about for Russian family to call back to the US? What's the best way for family both in and outside of the major cities (Moscow and St. Petersburg)? Considering buying a Magic Jack to send to my fiancee's parents, because I think that I read that calls are free to the US and Canada worldwide.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Another vote for Skype. MIL uses it everyday to see and speak with the grandkids. Works on our smartphones. We have a skype provided number to make international calls with, so we only use our unlimited local minutes. We're very please with it, as it offers a turnkey solution for us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Another vote for Skype. MIL uses it everyday to see and speak with the grandkids. Works on our smartphones. We have a skype provided number to make international calls with, so we only use our unlimited local minutes. We're very please with it, as it offers a turnkey solution for us.

Skype is a Godsend.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

For me, besides Skype for Chat / Video. I use Vonage... World Plus 1000 - Unlimited to Landlines and 1000 minutes to mobile. Then I use the Extensions Addon for my Cell Phone to route my mobile calling through the Vonage Account. Also, my US Vonage number is free from my mobile phone so I dont incur minute usage for calling international from there either. Sounds complicated, buts its really not... I never pay more than the $60 plan cost, and we can talk as much as we want and when we want. We will definitely keep it when she is here too for her to call home...

K1 VISA / I129F

Vermont Service Center

Received: 1/19/2012

NOA1: 1/23/2012

Touched: 2/9/2012

NOA2: 7/30/2012

NVC Received: 08/08/2012

NVC Fwd To Consulate: 08/10/2012

Notification From Embassy: 08/27/2012

Interview: 09/25/2012 (Approved)

POE: 10/22/2012

Wedding: 10/26/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

For me, besides Skype for Chat / Video. I use Vonage... World Plus 1000 - Unlimited to Landlines and 1000 minutes to mobile. Then I use the Extensions Addon for my Cell Phone to route my mobile calling through the Vonage Account. Also, my US Vonage number is free from my mobile phone so I dont incur minute usage for calling international from there either. Sounds complicated, buts its really not... I never pay more than the $60 plan cost, and we can talk as much as we want and when we want. We will definitely keep it when she is here too for her to call home...

I looked at this option, but not many people, besides her parents, have land lines anymore...

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Note that Google Voice has recently raised their rates to call cell phones in Russia and it's now 15c/min instead of 8c/min.

It's still 2c/min to call landlines in Moscow and St Petersburg and 4c/min for landlines in other places.

They also raised their rates to call Ukraine and it's now up to 17c/min to call cell phones and 10c/min for landlines.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

We used the App Viber which is available on iPhones/Android/WP8.

It's essentially a lot like Skype but we've had better luck with it. It works like a standard VOIP tool so that if you are both using the app you can talk all day long and are only limited by your data cap (I've never come close). It also has a robust chat client and video beta.

The only caveat is that you both need a smartphone. http://www.viber.com

It's 100% Free.

Edited by jclink

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We used the App Viber which is available on iPhones/Android/WP8.

It's essentially a lot like Skype but we've had better luck with it. It works like a standard VOIP tool so that if you are both using the app you can talk all day long and are only limited by your data cap (I've never come close). It also has a robust chat client and video beta.

The only caveat is that you both need a smartphone. http://www.viber.com

It's 100% Free.

I'll attest to that, it seems like a new thing, but all of her friends in Russia are on it now. It's great. Maybe everyone's upgrading to smartphones, I don't know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.