jex

how to get IDs before receiving the green card

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

hi i hope its the right place to post this. :unsure:

With K1 visa, i got here a month ago and we got married ( :dance: ), sent the AOS papers with EAD which have been received 5 days ago.

Heres our problem : how do i get a state ID ?

i need it to be able to have a bank account, and then get a driver license.

we went to the place to get IDs and al lthey need is the passport with the I94, birth certificate and mariage license. But the guy told us it wont work cuz ive my maiden name on the i94 and not my new married name. how do i change that? you cant just go to the immigration officer without an appointment ...

thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

With K1 visa, i got here a month ago and we got married ( :dance: ), sent the AOS papers with EAD which have been received 5 days ago.

we went to the place to get IDs and al lthey need is the passport with the I94, birth certificate and mariage license. But the guy told us it wont work cuz ive my maiden name on the i94 and not my new married name. how do i change that? you cant just go to the immigration officer without an appointment ...

thanks

I had a similar problem when applying for my SSN - they refused to issue it to me because my 1-94 did not match my married name. So I went back the same day and applied under my maiden name and did not even mention to them that I was married. Just brought my passport and my 1-94. I now intend to go back (now that I have my Greencard), show them my marriage certificate and have the name changed to my married name.

I would recommend the same. Just apply under your maiden name because that's what your passport and 1-94 says and then go back at a later date and show them your marriage certificate and change your name on the ID.

Also, if you are adding yourself to the USC's bank account, you do not need a SSN to do that.

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The laws for State ID's and Driver's Licenses vary greatly depending on the state. We have not been able to get a State ID not Driver's License for my wife in California because we cannot prove legal presence under California law. They want either more than 90 days left on the I-94, or an EAD or an I-551 or the Green Card itself, none of which we have.

We had no problem with the SSN. Walked in and applied for one under married name with Passport and marriage certificate and received the SSN card a week later.

But the credit union won't let us add her to my accounts because she does not have a Government issued photo ID in her married name.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

I had a similar problem when applying for my SSN - they refused to issue it to me because my 1-94 did not match my married name. So I went back the same day and applied under my maiden name and did not even mention to them that I was married. Just brought my passport and my 1-94. I now intend to go back (now that I have my Greencard), show them my marriage certificate and have the name changed to my married name.

I would recommend the same. Just apply under your maiden name because that's what your passport and 1-94 says and then go back at a later date and show them your marriage certificate and change your name on the ID.

Also, if you are adding yourself to the USC's bank account, you do not need a SSN to do that.

You do need SSn to be added to bank accounts Sophie well here in Georgia you do I could not be added to anything till I had my SSN

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

thanks

Depending on what state you are in Alex you can go and get your SSN no problem and in your married name. I went and got mine 3 weeks after we were married and I was in the system and the young man had no problems doing my SSN in my married name, even though I had heard some stories on here of the opposite. Drivers license again is different to each state as here I had to wait for my EAD to get my Georgia license, so it's a bit hit and miss here in the states as they all have their own rules. You just need you marriage cert and passport and visa, they never looked at my I-94.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.