aquameo

Options for a Student to Sponser his Fiancee from Viet Nam?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

An attorney won't improve your chances unless you made a mistake completing a form or have a very complex case. Regarding the joint sponsor, approvals for K visas using a joint sponsor through HCMC are rare.

The quoted review is from 2008 so things may have changed. A blood relative of the petitioner would be the best chance as a joint sponsor. The CO would see that person as more likely to follow through on any commitment. And also assume that person would be the joint sponsor for the Adjustment of Status phase where the I-864 has a stronger contract in place.

Thanks for the info, I would expect it will be hard but we'll take our chance and hope for the best. There is no turn back now. Need to keep the spirit up and be positive.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Opps... Not Affidavit of Support, I meant Affidavit of Single Status. Does the Affidavit of single status have to be a statewide search, of is a county level search ok? The lawyer said that it is $350 from them to do the Single Status for me.

I just went to the county court house and had the clerk do it and it was good. My friend did his for a state wide. A lawyer doing something for something that cost me 10 dollars and charging you 350 dollars tells me he is a crook.

I just went to the county court house and had the clerk do it and it was good. My friend did his for a state wide. A lawyer doing something for something that cost me 10 dollars and charging you 350 dollars tells me he is a crook.

Yeah, I thought the markup was a little outrageous. He also said that it took four weeks to process, so I better hurry up and come in.... I checked the Vietnamese Enbassy website, and it listed these conditions to marry a Vietnamese national:

Documents to be authenticated by the Embassy:

I. A Regular Dossier Includes:

1.) Application for Marriage Registration in Vietnam (bilingual form attached). Certain provinces in Vietnam require that the applicants use the Vietnamese language form obtained from that province. If the fiance in Vietnam has sent one to the US-based applicant, please attach a photo, fill out and sign that form. The bilingual form provided by the Embassy is for your convenience.

2.) Affidavit of Single Status (bilingual form attached).

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/docs/AFIDAVITOFSINGLESTATUS.pdf

3.) Certificate of No-marriage Records issued by the State (or County) Vital Statistics Office within the last six months certifying that no marriage license or marriage record of the applicant has been found for the period from the beginning of legal age for marriage to date.

4.) Medical Certificate issued by an authorized psychiatrist confirming that the applicant has no mental illnesses, or has a mental problem but not to the extent of losing consciousness of his/her own actions. Please ask your family doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist.

5.) Photocopy of the photo and signature pages of the Passport.

6.) Bio Info Sheet (bilingual form attached). Certain provinces in Vietnam require that the applicants use the Vietnamese language form obtained from that province. If your fiance) in Vietnam has sent one to the US-based applicant, please attach a photo, fill out and sign that form. The bilingual form provided by the Embassy is for your convenience.

NOTE: (a) Documents 2, 4, and 5 must be certified by a Notary Public. Document 3 is usually signed by a Registrar or a Court Clerk. The signatures of the Notary Public and the Registrar (or Court Clerk) must be subsequently certified by the State Department of the State (or its Office of Authentication) where the applicant lives before the documents are sent to the Embassy for authentication. The Embassy can certify only the signatures of the State-level Secretary of State. (b) If documents 2,4, and 5 are notarized by one Notary Public, they need just one authentication with state seal from the Secretary of State.

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular_services/marry_a_vietnamese/

Question: Number 3 Certificate of No-marriage Records seems like the Affidavit of Single Status since it is issued by the County or State Vital Statistic Office, and number 2, which is called the Affidavit of Single Status has its own bilingual form.

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/docs/AFIDAVITOFSINGLESTATUS.pdf

So documents 2,4, and 5 must be sent in to my California Secretary of State to be signed before submitting to the Vietnamese Embassy in Washington D.C.?

Thanks,

- B

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Did I ever say that being over 30's and going back to school is too OLD? No. I said at that age, it's NOT normal to stay with your parents and EXPECT them to support you to get married.

At that age, you're expected to be financially independent, especially if you plan to have a love life.

Anyway, OP, don't believe me? Go ahead and go there, marry her and go with the CR-1 route. I just point it out to you that if I were the C/O, it wouldn't look good if someone has to depend on someone else (income that is) and demands the USCIS to approve his petition for love. If you can't even afford to pay for your trips, and whatever else involves in your relationship, you expect the USCIS believe that you and your future family will be financially independent?

If you're in the early 20's, excusable (if the C/O is in good mood). But if you're a lot older, expect rejection from the USCIS.

My friend, I think I speak for the majority when I say, I'm glad you're not the C/O

I'm not saying he should pay the attorney, but before we bash the lawyer, and talk about a high "mark-up" remember the county is charging $10 for just that county.... the lawyer was going to do all counties in the state for $300... so it's not apples to apples.

Timeline

My friend, I think I speak for the majority when I say, I'm glad you're not the C/O

I'm not saying he should pay the attorney, but before we bash the lawyer, and talk about a high "mark-up" remember the county is charging $10 for just that county.... the lawyer was going to do all counties in the state for $300... so it's not apples to apples.

Cost just a tad more to have the state wide done. It is easy to get. Lawyers mark up was excessive. Do it yourself.

Timeline

4.) Medical Certificate issued by an authorized psychiatrist confirming that the applicant has no mental illnesses, or has a mental problem but not to the extent of losing consciousness of his/her own actions. Please ask your family doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist.

Does anybody know if they're still requiring the mental check to be done in Vietnam? In 2008 I wasted a day and $75.00 getting it done in America just to be told I had to have it done in Vietnam.

Edited by Teacher Mark

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does anybody know if they're still requiring the mental check to be done in Vietnam? In 2008 I wasted a day and $75.00 getting it done in America just to be told I had to have it done in Vietnam.

Last year it was still required to be done in Vietnam. BTW today is our 1 year !

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

Last year it was still required to be done in Vietnam. BTW today is our 1 year !

3 years and they haven't bothered to update their website. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Congrats. You should take her out of town for the weekend.

Dementis Queritor will be along shortly to add his 2 cents, I'm sure.

Edited by Teacher Mark

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dementis Queritor will be along shortly to add his 2 cents, I'm sure.

Methinks he's a ha-penny short of two cents. :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife was required to take one. I, however, was not.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.