beancare

How can I work as a teacher here in Denver, Colorado?

7 posts in this topic

I'm from Philippines, AB-Psychology graduate with 33 units of Education major in Values Education and a licensed teacher in US. I just arrived here in US 2 weeks ago and just waiting for my Green card and SSN to be delivered. I took an exam for ESL ( English as Secondary Language) and luckily I passed it and they put me into an advance ESL class instead of enrolling to basic English class. What I really want to do is to pursue my teaching career here in US. Teaching is my passion. I have 2 years teaching experienced for SPED and kindergarten as well. I inquired at the REd Rocks Community College here in Denver and seems like they are referring me to Regis University for my transcript to be evaluated. I wonder if there's someone here who can give me an idea what to do. I odn't want to study again for long. I earned too much education I guess. And the reason why I enrolled in ESL class is to improve my english skills... Your suggestions and ideas is much appreciated. Thank you!

Oooppsss I mean I'm a licensed teacher in Philippines...

September 2007 - We started chatting

January 11, 2008 - He visited me here in Philippines

January 18,2008 - Our engagement ceremony

July 14,2008 - his 2nd time here in Philippines

August 08,2008 - Our WEDDING

August 2008- December 15 2009 - We lived together here in Philippines.

December 15, 2009 - He went back in Colorado ( my saddest moment)

March 27, 2010 - I-130 sent

April 09, 2010 - NOA1 received

September 18, 2010 - NOA2 received ( major major happiness )

October 04, 2010 - NVC received / case number assigned

October 08, 2010 - Received AOS bill

October 11, 2010 - AOS bill paid

October 15, 2010 - AOS status "paid"

October 22, 2010 - IV- bill received

October 23, 2010 - IV bill paid

October 27, 2010 - IV bill status "paid" DS-230 packet sent

December 01 - 02, 2010 - Medical exam ( passed)

December 17, 2010 - NVC case complete! -)

February 01, 2010 - Interview ( 8:30 AM)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

why not sit down with a counselor at a 4 year university, ask what it takes to be certified as a teacher in Colorado ?

Go, in person, find the Education Majors Department, set up appointment.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I'm from Philippines, AB-Psychology graduate with 33 units of Education major in Values Education and a licensed teacher in US. I just arrived here in US 2 weeks ago and just waiting for my Green card and SSN to be delivered. I took an exam for ESL ( English as Secondary Language) and luckily I passed it and they put me into an advance ESL class instead of enrolling to basic English class. What I really want to do is to pursue my teaching career here in US. Teaching is my passion. I have 2 years teaching experienced for SPED and kindergarten as well. I inquired at the REd Rocks Community College here in Denver and seems like they are referring me to Regis University for my transcript to be evaluated. I wonder if there's someone here who can give me an idea what to do. I odn't want to study again for long. I earned too much education I guess. And the reason why I enrolled in ESL class is to improve my english skills... Your suggestions and ideas is much appreciated. Thank you!

Oooppsss I mean I'm a licensed teacher in Philippines...

Welcome to USA. Just wanna ask u a quick question, Do u really have to take the ESL class and what is this really for??I mean what is the benefit of passing the ESL??

The reason i asked is because my 9 yr. old son just started school January this year and he is also having an ESL class.

But my 13 yr. old daughter who started school the same day my son did ..did not have to have this ESL class which in fact she has advanced classes in Math, Science, Soc.Studies and Larts and also a member of their school's "Honor Society".

Can u give me insight about this ESl thing? I hope someone can help u with regards to ur query. I know u have to have ur transcript evaluated first.

Filed: Timeline

If you want to be a teacher in the US, you will need to get your teaching credentials which means at least a year or two years of additional schooling.

http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof/Licensure_main.asp

http://www.teachingtips.com/teaching-certificates/colorado/

In addition, most states and local governments are reducing school budgets because of the lack of tax revenue from the economic slowdown. Teaching positions are being cut in lots of school districts.

A friend of mine who has been teaching for 12 years is losing her job because of budget problems.

I don't want to discourage you from pursuing your passion, but you need to know that it will be a tough road ahead.

http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_14378225?source=rss

Filed: Other Timeline

Welcome to USA. Just wanna ask u a quick question, Do u really have to take the ESL class and what is this really for??I mean what is the benefit of passing the ESL??

The reason i asked is because my 9 yr. old son just started school January this year and he is also having an ESL class.

But my 13 yr. old daughter who started school the same day my son did ..did not have to have this ESL class which in fact she has advanced classes in Math, Science, Soc.Studies and Larts and also a member of their school's "Honor Society".

Can u give me insight about this ESl thing? I hope someone can help u with regards to ur query. I know u have to have ur transcript evaluated first.

ESL is for non English speakers. It can be prerequisites to get in an English101/1A if a student plans to get a degree/certificate. In regular classes, a professor expects their students know the basic. S/he is not going to elaborate everything except his/her lecture. Therefore, ESL is beneficial to some students if they want to take it.

For your son's ESL, that is okay. He will be proficient in English before he gets in college.:thumbs:

I went through ESL classes in California to get in English-1A. I invested money, time,and aggravation in these classes. Yet, I am still struggling to construct a correct grammar.

More disappointments dropped on my shoulder when I moved in Nevada in Dec. 2010. In January 2011, I went to a college to enroll. I was very disappointed when I found out that my ESL credit units from California were not transferable. I'm frustrated. I don't know where to go except taking TOEFL test to be able to get in regular English classes. On the other hand, I'm able to take other regular classes. It is not preventing me from getting into my major. In fact, my other credit units were credited. Everything is fine. Imagine, I needed 9 units to get in English-101 in Nevada. :crying: 9 units. :crying:

Edited by Kigle

Life is not a granting factory, according to my colleague.

ESL is for non English speakers. It can be prerequisites to get in an English101/1A if a student plans to get a degree/certificate. In regular classes, a professor expects their students know the basic. S/he is not going to elaborate everything except his/her lecture. Therefore, ESL is beneficial to some students if they want to take it.

For your son's ESL, that is okay. He will be proficient in English before he gets in college.:thumbs:

I went through ESL classes in California to get in English-1A. I invested money, time,and aggravation in these classes. Yet, I am still struggling to construct a correct grammar.

More disappointments dropped on my shoulder when I moved in Nevada in Dec. 2010. In January 2011, I went to a college to enroll. I was very disappointed when I found out that my ESL credit units from California were not transferable. I'm frustrated. I don't know where to go except taking TOEFL test to be able to get in regular English classes. On the other hand, I'm able to take other regular classes. It is not preventing me from getting into my major. In fact, my other credit units were credited. Everything is fine. Imagine, I needed 9 units to get in English-101 in Nevada. :crying: 9 units. :crying:

Thanks , i appreciate it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.