monalisa2010

american embassy in cairo

34 posts in this topic

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/337616

US Embassy in Cairo stops granting visas due to 'security concerns'

The US Embassy in Cairo has decided to suspend visa services until further notice due to what it called “current security concerns.” It expressed regret for any inconvenience the caused by the delay for people wishing to visit the US or immigrate there. It said immigration services would resume when conditions permit.

According to a statement distributed by the embassy, visa applications of non-immigrants and immigrants who were interviewed before 27 January, 2011, are being processed as usual. The applicants in this category whose requests are subject to normal administrative procedures should check the embassy’s website for more information.

The embassy added that it is possible for applicants who need to travel to the United States before the full resumption of visa services in Cairo to ask for a non-immigrant visa at any US embassy or consulate abroad.

He noted that the embassy plans to resume work soon for a limited number of immigration visas for spouses and children of US citizens. Applicants from these groups who had previously scheduled interviews will be contacted to reschedule their appointments.

Personal interviews will be scheduled from now until 31 March for applicants who are applying to be randomly selected this year for immigration to America. The Visa Section will contact them to reschedule their appointments.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

let me explain because i saw the arbic view in masrwy ,they said that they will deal with panding immgrant visas in which can be follow through their web site cause they are working in it already ,second people who already have interview dates they will contact them to give them anew dates, third other visa like business....etc if it is immergancy they can apply it from other embassies outside egypt .regadring when they will open in general they didnt mention with spacefic time , i just wonder why they refuse to open like other embassies , my case is compelet from nvc and when my husbaned called them they said the problem is the usa embassy closed ,no way to press on them to get back to work even in immgrant visas i guess no

Edited by monalisa2010

let me explain because i saw the arbic view in masrwy ,they said that they will deal with panding immgrant visas in which can be follow through their web site cause they are working in it already ,second people who already have interview dates they will contact them to give them anew dates, third other visa like business....etc if it is immergancy they can apply it from other embassies outside egypt .regadring when they will open in general they didnt mention with spacefic time , i just wonder why they refuse to open like other embassies , my case is compelet from nvc and when my husbaned called them they said the problem is the usa embassy closed ,no way to press on them to get back to work even in immgrant visas i guess no

interview dates? is this meaning the actual interview or any appts set up before protests? i can't reach by email i keep getting delivery failure message.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/337616

US Embassy in Cairo stops granting visas due to 'security concerns'

The US Embassy in Cairo has decided to suspend visa services until further notice due to what it called “current security concerns.” It expressed regret for any inconvenience the caused by the delay for people wishing to visit the US or immigrate there. It said immigration services would resume when conditions permit.

According to a statement distributed by the embassy, visa applications of non-immigrants and immigrants who were interviewed before 27 January, 2011, are being processed as usual. The applicants in this category whose requests are subject to normal administrative procedures should check the embassy’s website for more information.

The embassy added that it is possible for applicants who need to travel to the United States before the full resumption of visa services in Cairo to ask for a non-immigrant visa at any US embassy or consulate abroad.

He noted that the embassy plans to resume work soon for a limited number of immigration visas for spouses and children of US citizens. Applicants from these groups who had previously scheduled interviews will be contacted to reschedule their appointments.

Personal interviews will be scheduled from now until 31 March for applicants who are applying to be randomly selected this year for immigration to America. The Visa Section will contact them to reschedule their appointments.

this part is kinda vague

"He noted that the embassy plans to resume work soon for a limited number of immigration visas for spouses and children of US citizens. Applicants from these groups who had previously scheduled interviews will be contacted to reschedule their appointments"

we didn't have his visa interview scheduled we just had to have interview appt with the consular for filing so is this referring to all appts? or only visa interviews?

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yea I am in the same spot as you my case is still at NVC awaiting for an interview. I did not have one scheduled yet so what I did is called the NVC and they told me they reviewed the case and said my interview didn't make it for March but could be sometime in April. Maybe they can tell you something similar. From what I understand is they will start with contacting people with previous interviews that were canceled to re-schedule them first. I have a spouse that is in Egypt in other words my wife. So from what I understand The Embassy plans to resume limited processing of immigrant visas (IV) for the spouses and children of U.S. citizens soon. Correct me if I am wrong.

When visas start again they will contact us when the time comes to schedule an interview. I am still looking for options on how we can do the interview at another country. But lets keep in touch and keep talking. Let me know if anyone knows something new. As always still praying for the best as god knows best.

i was wondering when they say interviews does that refer only to "final" interviews. we had an interview set up but it was for filing petition? anyone received clarification on that one? doubtful, huh? well i thought it was worth a try to ask. Good luck everyone :thumbs:

Yea I am in the same spot as you my case is still at NVC awaiting for an interview. I did not have one scheduled yet so what I did is called the NVC and they told me they reviewed the case and said my interview didn't make it for March but could be sometime in April. Maybe they can tell you something similar. From what I understand is they will start with contacting people with previous interviews that were canceled to re-schedule them first. I have a spouse that is in Egypt in other words my wife. So from what I understand The Embassy plans to resume limited processing of immigrant visas (IV) for the spouses and children of U.S. citizens soon. Correct me if I am wrong.

When visas start again they will contact us when the time comes to schedule an interview. I am still looking for options on how we can do the interview at another country. But lets keep in touch and keep talking. Let me know if anyone knows something new. As always still praying for the best as god knows best.

when i read it i am hopeful that i will get rescheduled because i had an appt already but it depends on which interviews. you know they could only mean visa interviews the final one. Yes, i do hope that is what it is saying that spouses and children get opened soon, insha allah!

as for filing in another place. this is an option but the deal is..you have to go to that country, file and it wont be "direct consular filing" because you wont be a resident there so you will have to wait it out in that country and i doubt they will fast track it. i don't know too many people who can do that or would want to.

and when they say filing for non immigrant i am not sure, i am married and not eligible for a fiance or a tourist visa for my husband. so dont know how that helps married couples.

Timeline

when i read it i am hopeful that i will get rescheduled because i had an appt already but it depends on which interviews. you know they could only mean visa interviews the final one. Yes, i do hope that is what it is saying that spouses and children get opened soon, insha allah!

as for filing in another place. this is an option but the deal is..you have to go to that country, file and it wont be "direct consular filing" because you wont be a resident there so you will have to wait it out in that country and i doubt they will fast track it. i don't know too many people who can do that or would want to.

and when they say filing for non immigrant i am not sure, i am married and not eligible for a fiance or a tourist visa for my husband. so dont know how that helps married couples.

I think if your case is still at the NVC they will schedule the interview with the other country and you would just have to go there for the interview date. Im not sure but that is what I understood from what I read. Also, I emailed the Embassy in Cairo and they responded with this ....

The Embassy plans to resume limited processing of immigrant visas (IV) for the spouses and children of U.S. citizens whose cases are received in our office.

so I am guessing that everything they have in their office now will be processed and the rest will come later. I think they will be trying to catch up on the interviews that were cancelled after Jan 27 and issuing their visas...idk but I wish it would open without any restrictions :( Our case is still at the NVC. Good luck with everything

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

I think if your case is still at the NVC they will schedule the interview with the other country and you would just have to go there for the interview date. Im not sure but that is what I understood from what I read.

That is not the case, if you put down Cairo or another Embassy that forwards immigrant visas to Cairo it will still be sent there. My fiances lives in Sudan and I marked down Khartoum Embassy and our petition is being sent to Cairo right now.

I spoke to a supervisor at NVC last week and was told that all cases marked for Cairo are still being sent there. If you want to transfer your case to another embassy you will need to contact that Embassy first.

For example if you want to transfer your case to the embassy in Abu Dhabi, you will need to call that embassy and have them agree to process your case there. You will then give them your NVC case number and they will contact the Cairo embassy so they can have the paperwork sent to them.

Timeline

That is not the case, if you put down Cairo or another Embassy that forwards immigrant visas to Cairo it will still be sent there. My fiances lives in Sudan and I marked down Khartoum Embassy and our petition is being sent to Cairo right now.

I spoke to a supervisor at NVC last week and was told that all cases marked for Cairo are still being sent there. If you want to transfer your case to another embassy you will need to contact that Embassy first.

For example if you want to transfer your case to the embassy in Abu Dhabi, you will need to call that embassy and have them agree to process your case there. You will then give them your NVC case number and they will contact the Cairo embassy so they can have the paperwork sent to them.

OMG...and by the time it takes for all of that the cairo embassy may be open again... so I guess its best just to stay where we are. Thanks for the information. sorry your case was forwarded

Timeline

I originally planned on stopping it at NVC then routing it to Abu Dhabi, but I found out the hard way that their automated system for reporting your case status is broken! If it looks like the embassy will open after April I'm going to transfer our case.

Does anyone know what number to contact the Cairo embassy at right now? I'm going to call them to clarify on the recent announcement they made.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I originally planned on stopping it at NVC then routing it to Abu Dhabi, but I found out the hard way that their automated system for reporting your case status is broken! If it looks like the embassy will open after April I'm going to transfer our case.

Does anyone know what number to contact the Cairo embassy at right now? I'm going to call them to clarify on the recent announcement they made.

Here is their number - Telephone: (20-2) 2797 3300 what do you mean the embassy will open after April? Is your case still heading to Cairo? Let me know how it goes.

Timeline

Let us know what you find out :)

Timeline

I haven't called the Cairo embassy yet, instead I sent them an email to check if our paperwork had arrived so I could avoid problems later on when I started the transfer request. I also sent an email to Abu Dhabi stating I wanted to transfer our case from Cairo and if they were accepting transfer.

The embassy in Cairo received our packet and they mailed us a packet of instructions, I'm not sure if this means they're going to process our case or what but we're going to wait until we get that packet before we proceed with the transfer request.

Abu Dhabi also responded to our email today stating "The immigrant visa section at the U.S. Embassy will be accepting a limited number of transfer immigrant visa cases that were scheduled for interview at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. Please be advised that a transfer request may take a few weeks/months to be completed and may take additional weeks/months to be scheduled for interview."

Edited by Ashex

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.