KRA

Proof of domicile

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Well not to throw gas on the fire, but considering it's free to file federal taxes online - why wouldn't you just do it & report zero income? Take 5 minutes, it's free, and then you have a legit 1040 to turn in instead of a letter that is going to come under the scrutiny of someone who may be having a "difficult" day & not very helpful!!

Living abroad as a student for 2 years I wasn't required to file........but knowing we were going to be applying for a greencard in the future, it was well worth that 10 total minutes of my time to have 3 years of tax returns to turn in with the I-864.

Pre-VISA

November 14, 2009 - met randomly in a park in Atlanta, talked 1 hour

November 16, 2009 - started emailing daily

December 11, 2009 - flew to DC for a weekend to visit

January 5, 2010 - JL flies back to Germany :(

March 17-23, 2010 - I visit JL in Germany

September 1, 2010 - I move to Germany!

September 9, 2011 - Married <3

German Visa

December 20, 2011 - applied for German visa

February 9, 2012 - interview

March 26, 2012 - temporary 18 month greencard!

US VISA

April 3, 2012 - mailed I-130s to Frankfurt

April 11, 2012 - NOA1 mailed

April 13, 2012 - I-130 payment authorized

April 18, 2012 - NOA1 received

Impatiently waiting for NOA2......

Filed returns with the IRS using that address? Maintained a US Drivers license at that address? Voter registration card? U.S. Bank accounts?

Note U.S. Citizens may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income, however are not exempt from filing returns.

You may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income but are not exempt from filing IRS returns each year.

Another much bigger issue facing you is proof of US domicile, this is a requirement of the I-864.

The Domicile issue is a common one for DCF filers, and needs to be addressed prior to the visa interview.

http://travel.state....nfo_3183.html#3

Both primary sponsor and joint sponsor need to provide domicile evidence

Also if you failed to file IRS returns over the past years, you should late file them, they two are a requirement of the I-864. US citizens may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income however are not exempt from filing a return each year.

I-864 instructions:

[/i]

Can get prior returns here:

http://www.irs.gov/a...bmitSearch=Find

Transcripts:

http://www.irs.gov/t....html?portlet=1

YuandDan,

I noticed that you mentioned that the joint sponsor must also provide evidence of domicile. My dad is our joint sponsor and so far I have a copy of his birth certificate, 1040, 1099-R, 1099-SSA, TC-40 (state taxes), retirement deposit statements, and tax transcripts for the last 3 years. Would I need any additional evidence of domicile for him? What I have is primarily for the AOS, but doesn't do much to prove his US domicile. Thanks for the advice.

- Bron (Makati now; Utah later)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.