Sign in to follow this  
darkz999

Changed name on SSN

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi, my wife and I went to SSA office to get her SSN card for the first time. We brought the passport/visa and along with the marriage certificate. But the lady told us that since the visa is with the maiden name, we can only apply the SSN with her maiden name. Keep in mind that we apply for the card the first name, as I thought it would save us a trip if we apply the card with the new name. She told us that We would have to come back after we apply with "something" with the immigration to change her name in the visa. And we would have to apply for the name change in the SSN card. Is this true?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I guess it's a matter of identification/document on which the SSN is given. since you're applying showing the visa, that's the name that will go on the card. when you go there with the EAD / green card with the new name, they will issue the card with the new name.

Filed: Timeline

Hi, my wife and I went to SSA office to get her SSN card for the first time. We brought the passport/visa and along with the marriage certificate. But the lady told us that since the visa is with the maiden name, we can only apply the SSN with her maiden name. Keep in mind that we apply for the card the first name, as I thought it would save us a trip if we apply the card with the new name. She told us that We would have to come back after we apply with "something" with the immigration to change her name in the visa. And we would have to apply for the name change in the SSN card. Is this true?

No. If you want to apply with the married name, I would go back and ask to speak with a manager. Be sure to take your passport, I-94 and marriage certificate.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document.

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

RM 10212.015 Evidence Requirements to Process a Name Change on the SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212015

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is the k1 visa process. So we are supposed to do the name change on the SSN after doing the AOS?

This is not a topic regarding the process on how to get the visa but is a process that occurs AFTER the alien arrives in the US having been granted K-1 STATUS after arrival...

With K-1 status you can apply within 75 days of arrival or after EAD or greencard is received

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.